In recent years, and with the advancement of technology, new terms and jobs have emerged for different areas. A clear example is the data scientist, a method these people use to find solutions and answers within additional virtual data.
While it is not in all universities, it is only recently that the career “Data Scientist” was implemented as a professional title. The job has grown significantly since we realized that it is essential to almost any business.
What is Data Science?
Data science studies different information to get to a company’s most essential and relevant point. It relates to other disciplines, mainly mathematics, computer programming, computer engineering, statistics, and artificial intelligence.
These aspects are necessary to analyze data with automatic algorithms techniques that allow finding different patterns that lead to the same information point.
When working with data, it is almost exclusive to have the experience of working with data science in different sectors that need this science, such as health, retail, application and web development, finance, and government, among many others.
Thanks to this data research, data scientists can answer basic questions that anyone can ask when conducting an investigation, such as “Why did this happen?”, “Where is the error?”, “What will happen if it is not modified?” or “How to analyze the results?” among many other questions that a scientist can ask.
What does a data scientist do?
Behind a company, thousands of data allow manage the organization better and profit from the institution’s activities. Computer programs are responsible for compiling this data to help improve a company’s numbers and other aspects.
Because there is so much information, someone needs to process it and translate it into terms that the owners of a company can understand. That is where data scientists come into play, who, as mentioned in the previous section, are in charge of analyzing the information collected and using this data to implement in the company, either by solving technical problems, making decisions, or finding patterns that lead to concrete answers.
Only some people can be data scientists since study and experience are needed to be able to work in this field, in addition to other skills that will be required. Among the skills of data scientists, we can name, first of all, data collection programming. On the other hand, it is necessary to collect, analyze, organize and understand information for further processing.
In addition, you need communication and numerical skills, as it is likely that, in a job, you will be asked for the ability to create algorithms, prepare and write reports, and, on the other hand, clean old data and validate the information.
What is the job of a data scientist?
The data scientist is in charge of processing information and answering questions about a company’s data. Among the tasks of a data scientist, we can name:
- Create data models and algorithms to predict results.
- Discover information by deciphering patterns and other data.
- Implement digital tools for data analysis, such as Python, SQL, SAS, etc.
- Employ learning techniques to increase the quality of services or products offered.
- Communicate different recommendations to other company areas to help resolve issues using database techniques or tools.
- Always be up to date with new technology that may arise to continue progressing and perfecting your work and expanding your knowledge.
- Gather a large amount of relevant data and information and translate it into a simple-to-read analysis.
- Use various data and programming languages to analyze and gather information.
- Communicate, through reports, every finding or unforeseen event while analyzing data.
- Provide recommendations on modifications that can serve the company as a marketing strategy and other cost-effective procedures.
- Skills for the following subjects:
– Mathematics (all aspects).
– Learning tools.
– Data processing and cleaning.
– Reporting techniques.
– Distinguishing unstructured data.
How to become a data scientist?
To become a data scientist, you must remember that it is only a job suitable for some, but you must have a technology orientation. A person must be trained academically to fulfill this job because it is a sensitive and broad field. We can divide this process into several steps.
1. Obtain a bachelor’s degree
The main task to become a data scientist is to have a degree in computer science, mathematics, physics, statistics, technology, or some IT-related field. To do this, you must attend college and get a bachelor’s degree. A good tip while studying is to volunteer or do an internship to work and gain experience.
Although working and studying at the same time is quite tedious, in this field, it is necessary, after completing your studies, to have verifiable experience in the position and be able to get your first official job as a data scientist.
2. Graduate or get certified as a Data Scientist
Few universities have a degree in data science as a career, so the alternative is to find a course or profession online that is related to data science and provides you with a certification at the end of the cycle. This way, it verifies that you can start working in this sector.
Find a university where they have a Data Scientist career. You can continue to feed yourself with information by taking the courses discussed above because it is never too late to study and improve yourself. This way, not only will your knowledge grow, but you will put it into practice until you find the job of your dreams.
3. Look for work experience
After you have finished your studies, it is time to look for your first job in this field. You can do it in places that ask for people without experience or with basic knowledge because it is always better to start from the bottom.
You can begin by applying for jobs as a junior business intelligence analyst, data engineer, or junior data scientist. This way, you will gain more work experience, and you will be able to find a better job.
4. Complete a Master’s Degree
The more knowledge, the better the position you can get. Suppose you continue to study and improve yourself in data science, engineering, computer science, business administration, or related fields.
You will be more relaxed when you go for a job interview because you know that other candidates may not. If you have a master’s degree, it will help you a lot in these moments. You can even appeal to a higher category job and, therefore, a better salary.
5. Finish a PhD
Data scientists can obtain a Ph.D. in different subjects related to the field of data science. Ph.D. will, undoubtedly, give you privileges over applicants who do not have one, as this will surely get you selected for the next instance, as it is almost a must in every job to have a higher degree.
Although it is not necessary to have a doctorate to get a job, studying is always a quality that adds up to a person and, therefore, will facilitate your access to several positions. The doctorate will also help you to access better jobs and aspire to a higher salary. You can be a teacher or even work in a company as an executive.
6. Create your portfolio
Data scientists should put together a portfolio with all the work they have done in the industry to demonstrate in a job interview the different work experiences and projects they have done in school or university.
You can create a PowerPoint with information about the projects in chronological order. It will make it easier for the recruiter to read, and since it is more interactive, they can appreciate the organization’s effort and presentation.
Attach your portfolio to your resume and highlight your university or college knowledge and skills acquired from previous experience and other projects you have worked on. This way, you will have more advantages over other candidates for the same job. You must keep these points in mind to show that you know how to do your job.
- “How to Become a Data Scientist | Education and Experience Requirements.” Code a New Career | ComputerScience.Org, 6 July 2022, https://www.computerscience.org/careers/data-science/how-to-become/.
- “How To Become a Data Scientist in 2023: 9-Step Guide.” Springboard Blog, 14 Sept. 2022, https://www.springboard.com/blog/data-science/how-to-become-a-data-scientist/.
- Jaiswal, Shivanee. “What Are the Prerequisites To Become a Data Scientist.” KnowledgeHut: Professional Bootcamps and Certification Courses Provider for Your Future, Knowledgehut, 29 Nov. 2022, https://www.knowledgehut.com/blog/data-science/what-are-the-prerequisites-to-become-data-scientist.