Plastic dental aligners allow you to align your teeth without the use of braces. Invisalign is one of the most popular brands of dental aligners and a favorite of most people seeking this method of orthodontics. If you do not have insurance, you should know how much Invisalign braces cost without insurance before starting your treatment.
These dental aligners are custom-made so that the teeth are positioned correctly, and their movement is progressive, so it is not a cheap treatment. However, some factors will determine the cost of Invisalign, such as how long your treatment will last and the number of aligners you will need.
How do aligners work?
The first step should be to evaluate the condition of your mouth to see if you are a candidate for this type of orthodontics. If the evaluation is positive, the next step is performing a digital scan and creating a 3D image of your mouth to make the best treatment plan. This 3D image will also create a series of clear aligners that will put your teeth in the correct position.
Each aligner is designed specifically for you and applies a gentle but constant force to your teeth to move them into position for the next aligner. At the end of your treatment time, you will need to wear retainers to keep your teeth from moving out of position.
What dental problems can Invisalign treat?
Currently, a complete Invisalign treatment can correct many dental problems in both primary and permanent teeth, such as, for example:
- Separated teeth
- Crowded teeth
- Open bites
However, some bite problems cannot be solved with this technology. According to some research, dental aligners have certain limitations for tooth movements, so it is important to get an initial evaluation.
Costs of Invisalign without insurance
The costs of Invisalign depend on the complexity of the treatment and the time needed to perform it. They generally range from $1,800 to $9,500, and when compared to the costs of traditional braces, which range from $3,000 to $7,000, a treatment with plastic aligners is not too expensive.
If you have insurance, you should ask your provider if your coverage includes Invisalign; many dental insurance plans cover it the same way they cover traditional braces. But other insurance plans only partially cover it or classify it as a cosmetic procedure and do not cover it. In addition, most insurance companies have a lifetime limit for dental benefits. If you exceed your coverage, the company will not pay for any treatment, even if the policy covers it.
There is also a faster and cheaper option called Invisalign Express, which is ideal for those who need minor corrections. Invisalign Express offers treatments with 5, 7, or 10 aligners instead of full treatments requiring more than 20 aligners.
This type of orthodontic treatment requires fewer aligners and visits to the orthodontist and is, therefore, less expensive. Its cost ranges from $1,500 to $4,000.
What determines the cost of Invisalign?
The cost of Invisalign treatment depends on four factors:
- Dental problem: You will need more aligners and longer treatment according to your dental problem.
- Where you receive treatment: dental clinics have lower costs than private dental offices.
- Experience of the orthodontist: orthodontists with more experience tend to charge more. This can be seen in their experience with Invisalign; the Diamond plus level is the highest.
- Retainers: after completing treatment, you must wear retainers to keep your teeth from moving out of position. These retainers cost between $400 and $1,000.
Why is Invisalign more expensive than braces?
This orthodontic treatment requires an orthodontist with experience with plastic aligners. In addition, 3D scanning devices must be used for imaging and custom aligners. You will have assistance from your orthodontist throughout your treatment.
Each aligner should be made specifically for your teeth’ shape and position throughout treatment. Unlike traditional braces, you will wear about 20 aligners for the duration of your treatment, which generates a higher cost.
What are the advantages of Invisalign?
Plastic aligners are very popular today because they have many advantages and benefits:
- Discreet: Invisalign aligners are made of strong and resistant material but at the same time transparent, which makes them not noticeable to the naked eye.
- Comfortable: Invisalign aligners do not require painful adjustments; you only need to change them every week or every two weeks, depending on the treatment plan and wear them 20 to 22 hours daily.
- Removable: You can remove the aligners to eat, drink and brush your teeth, making dental hygiene easier. In addition, there are no food restrictions as with metal braces.
- Results in less time: traditional braces treatments take 1 or 2 years; on the other hand, with Invisalign, you can get a perfect smile in just six months in patients with minor corrections.
- Professional assistance: your orthodontist will be with you in every step of your treatment; at regular check-ups, they will evaluate the movement of your teeth and compare it with the 3D model.