The AADSAS (Associated American Dental School Application) offers dental school applications starting from mid-June. The AADSAS also provides a paperless Fee Assistance Program for dental students that starts from mid-May. Now, you might be wondering what undergraduate degree is best for dental school.
Every school has its own application timelines, but ensure to go through them regularly. Although the applications will be available from early June, sometimes the AADSAS opens up the applications from mid-May each year.
You can still see this application but can’t submit it till the date opens in early June. Moreover, you should try to submit your dental application when you have completed your Junior year. However, this is applicable only if you are trying to enroll yourself in a dental program directly.
You need to get in touch with the AADSAS along with TMDSAS (Texas Medical and Dental School Application Service).
List of Top Universities in the US for Application dates
- Harvard School of Dental Medicine – The application cycle for HSDM opens from 1st Dec 2021 to 1st Jan 2022. You won’t be able to apply after 1st Jan 2022.
- University of California, San Francisco – The application deadline for the University of California, San Francisco is 31st Oct 2021.
- New York University College – The application deadline for NYUC is 01st Feb 2022.
- University of North Carolina Chapel Hill – The deadline for the University of North Carolina Chapel Hill is 01st November 2021.
How to Get Into Dental School with Low GPA?
There are various ways to enroll yourself into one of these dental schools even if your GPA grades are low.
Never be Afraid of completing your Master’s Program
Try applying for a graduate program sooner. This will help you to increase your GPA along with helping you to get admission early. This is the reason that you should complete your master’s program, and do not think about the high costs. The reason for this is that you can avail a lot of scholarship programs to finance your loans. Moreover, other ways will help you to pay off the student loan for completing your studies.
Avoid applying a second time simultaneously
Most dental schools will either make you on the waitlist or reject your application by mid-March. After mid-march, a new application cycle will start. This extra year gap will help you to overcome your shortcoming along with planning for alternative dental programs with low GPA.
If you have a GPA lower than 3.0, try attending a post-baccalaureate program. This will help you to achieve the required GPA for enrolling yourself in a dental school. Not only it will increase your undergraduate GPA but also is an ideal method to enroll in a dental school. Additionally, try achieving an A in each credit so that it will improve your overall GPA score. When you will start increasing in an upward trend, the dental schools might accept your application since they will notice you are improving and can perform better even if you have a lower GPA grade.
How much does Dental School Cost?
Many of you might wonder that how expensive is dental school while on the hunt for a dental school. Let me tell you that the average annual cost can range from $53,000 – $73,000 for first-year students. Although this figure is based on the students who are attending out of dental schools or private ones. The public dental schools in the US come close to $40,000 per year. The reputed private dental schools can cost up to $72,300 per year.
Let us check some of the famous dental schools in the US based upon the fee structure.
- Michigan University – The Michigan University provides discounts to Michigan residents for availing in-state tuition. The cost for in-state residents in this University is $35,691. However, the non-residents have to pay $53,540. This is only the tuition fee alone. The overall costs in the first year come around $72,307 for the in-state residents, and for the non-residents, the fee is around $90,156. This includes the living costs, instruments, fees, lab, and books.
- Harvard University –The cost of Harvard University is rather steep as compared to other dental schools in the US. Although, you will not get any in-state option at Harvard University, and the tuition fees are $63,400 per year.
- University of San Francisco – The overall fee including all the fees and expenses that comes for in-state residents is around $50,420 for the first year. The out-of-state students, then need to pay around $62,665.
- New York University – This particular University contributes to 10% of the entire nation’s dentists. The total cost of this school for the first year is $96,000 including Comprehensive Health Insurance, fees, and instruments.
How hard is it to get into Dental School?
Every profession comes with a different set of challenges, and enrolling in a dental school is no exception. It takes a lot to become a dentist. Apart from having a high GPA grade and DAT score, you need to toil how hard is it to get into dental school to become a successful dentist.
Besides the DAT score and the GPA grades, there are many other things that the dental school needs from you. Applying to a dental school anywhere in the US requires a letter of recommendation, a personal essay, and many more things. Apart from this, the most important thing that you need for entrance is to convince the interviewee members.
Moreover, you need to prepare yourself thoroughly even after they have offered approval for your interview. To make things easy, you can check out the official website of ASDA. Now you might think about how to be a competitive dental school applicant, then the route is tough but not impossible. If you have a passion to become a good dentist, then it is less chance that the word “hard” will intimidate you. Although, after passing out from dental school, everything rests upon your shoulders.
Another thing that you keep in mind that you should get in touch with your guidance counselor in the premed/predent department. Even if they might show you that the road is tough, and it won’t be possible for you to make it, you should turn things around with your abilities and passion for the profession. You also need to set a disciplined timetable for your study along with paying attention to details. Just commit yourself to a regular routine and do the right things at right time.
How much does it Cost to Apply to Dental School?
While applying for a dental school, you have to incur different types of costs and expenses. Do ensure to keep aside the funds for the dental school during the application process. Insufficient funds can lead you to face awkward situations later on.
Application fees for ADEA AADSAS
The first fee that you have to pay is $251 towards the ADEA AADSAS application fee. Apart from this, you need to pay $108 to every dental school that you wish to apply for. However, students who need financial assistance can do so with the help of various loans and grants offered by ADEA AADSAS.
Many dental schools require a supplements fee from the students who are pursuing dental courses from them. Although the fees may vary from school to school, the fee starts from $20-$200. However, these fees can vary depending upon whether you are an international student, out-of-state, or in-state student.
The average range of interviews is $500. You should include other expenses such as airfares, train tickets, hotel accommodations, food, and public transportation.
You need to pay a deposit fee when you have successfully granted acceptance. This fee is necessary to hold your seat in the first-year class. The deposit fee ranges from $500-$2,000, and it’s usually a non-refundable fee.