Sigma Phi Epsilon was founded in 1909 at Richmond College. The social college fraternity for male students is also known as SigEp and has its headquarters in Richmond, Virginia.
Sigma Phi Epsilon complements a man’s education through the delivery of a premier student experience in the crucial development years of a man’s life. Sigma Phi Epsilon helps the men strengthen their character, build interpersonal skills and leadership skills, and develop lifelong relationships that are key to a successful life. In a nutshell, the mission of Sigma Phi Epsilon is found in “Building Balanced Men” by committing to Sound Mind and Sound Body. The Cardinal Principles on which it is founded are Diligence, Virtue, and Brotherly Love.
The Balanced Man Program
It is at the core of the Sigma Phi Epsilon chapter experience and it provides students with the expertise they require to be successful. The “Balanced Man Program” is based on five philosophical tenets of equal rights and responsibilities, continuous development, accountability, living the ritual and mentoring. The Balanced Man Program supports academic excellence, allows the members to lead with integrity, promotes physical and mental wellness and prepares the members for successful careers and lives.
Member safety is of utmost importance to the Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity. It is committed to eliminating risky behaviors associated with drugs and alcohol use, hazing, physical assault and sexual abuse. Sigma Phi Epsilon has passed a resolution to ban alcohol and illicit substances from its chapter homes.
The colors of Sigma Phi Epsilon are purple and red. Its official flowers are red roses and purple violets. The crest is a Ducal Crown Beneath a Demi Glory Or. It has two official badges. The fraternity also has a sweetheart badge that is a miniature replica of the official badge. The coat of arms of Sigma Phi Epsilon consists of a shield, a crest and a scroll upon which the fraternity’s motto is mounted.
What are the requirements to join Sigma Phy Epsilon
The requirements to join Sigma Phi Epsilon are as follows:
- To be eligible for membership of Sigma Phi Epsilon, a man must meet the minimum academic requirements. Each chapter establishes a minimum GPA average for candidates for membership. Incoming Freshman requires a minimum high school grade point average of 2.7 out of 4.0 scale to be eligible for membership. Continuing college students need a minimum college grade point average of 2.6 cumulative GPA on a 4.0 scale (or equivalent) to qualify for membership. A chapter is free to set the minimum GPA average higher than the ones mentioned here.
- The person should not be a member of any other general national college social fraternity.
How can you join Sigma Phy Epsilon
Sigma Phi Epsilon recruits new members through formal recruitment during fall and spring rush weeks and has a year-round recruitment policy and Balanced Man Scholarship. In addition, the chapter organizes new member recruitment events throughout the year.
A person interested in joining Sigma Phi Epsilon can contact the chapter’s Vice President of Recruitment. He can also submit a membership interest form on the website of Sigma Phi Epsilon. Existing members and alumni can also refer a potential new member by referring a brother through a form.
How much does it cost to join Sigma Phi Epsilon
The cost to join Sigma Phi Epsilon is as follow: all new members are expected to pay $300 as new member fees. The costs to join depends on each chapter of Sigma Phi Epsilon but the following is a good approximate:
- New Member Fee $300.
- LegFi Quarterly Operational dues $400.
- Quarterly Rent $3000 Approx. (includes $650 towards meal plan).
- Damage Deposits $500 one-time payment at the beginning.
- Parking Lot Fee $250 per quarter.
- Summer Live-in $750.
The membership dues vary from campus to campus. So kindly contact the chapter office at your campus to know more about the costs to join Sigma Phi Epsilon.