Health insurance policies are a well-known product. However, there is also another branch of the insurance world, perhaps less well-known, but which has an even more fun side. We are referring to rare or peculiar insurance policies, which have a place in the insurance market.
All the rare insurances that we are going to discuss exist and can be contracted. In some cases, they will be more or less difficult to find, but they are on the market.
Alien Abduction Insurance
Yes, you have read that correctly. It’s an insurance policy that covers any possible damage you might suffer in case aliens abduct you and do experiments on your body.
Don’t think that this is an insurance that is only marketed in the United States, as it can be found in other countries. It can be purchased on the Internet. Although, in all truth, it is only an insurance policy that is usually purchased for fun.
The cost of the policy is cheap. You may find clauses such as those stating that coverage for your damages will be paid at the rate of one dollar per year for millions of years.
However, some insurance policies are more complete, customized, and demanded by users who seriously want to be protected against this possibility.
Insurance against damage caused by ghosts
This is another rare, but well-known insurance policy. In this case, the policies are more diversified, and in some places, they are offered as an add-on to home insurance.
It is not unusual to find advertisements for haunted houses that you can visit and that offer ghost insurance for your visit. Obviously, in this case, it is an advertising campaign. However, there are a few cases in history where such policies have been activated.
For example, in the 1990s in the United States, there was a case in which an insurance company had to agree to a settlement for damages caused to a woman in a house.
Another famous example was when a hotel applied for a haunted room policy with a million-dollar compensation in case of damage to guests.
Odd health insurance
If you think that weird insurance only exists for paranormal things, you are wrong. There are also insurance policies related to health, or accident insurance that are truly curious, and in some cases very strange.
Among some of the more curious health-related insurances we can find:
– Models’ or athletes’ legs: There is a long list of athletes and models who have insured their legs, backsides, hands, and so on.
– Chest hair: singer Tom Jones was rumored to have had his chest hair insured for more than $7,000,000.
– Moustaches: One of India’s best-known cricketers insured his mustache for an eye-watering sum. It has to be said that this mustache was a brand image.
– Beards: some distinguished beards have also been insured. One of the most famous is that of ZZ Top musician Billy Gibbons, although in this case, we don’t know the amount.
– Tongues: the main tasters of liquors, wines, coffee, etc, usually have high policies to protect their tongues and their palates from possible accidents.
In summary, a long list of options and possibilities makes the world of insurance one of the most interesting when it comes to finding curious proposals.