One of the critical sectors in a country’s economy is the industrial sector. With it, we have food, fuel, and essential materials for daily life. Many people who still need to decide what academic career to start or are looking for a new job are interested in basic industrial jobs.
But how much do they pay? Can you live comfortably on a salary as an agriculture, mining, energy professional, etc.? The answer depends on the experience, knowledge, and company where you work, among other aspects we will analyze below.
What educational requirements are necessary to work in the industry?
Usually, a high school diploma is required. If you don’t have one but have knowledge and experience in the field, you can start as an intern or a trainee.
Of course, if you work in the power, fuel, and agricultural sectors, you will require a bachelor’s or technical degree. However, one of the great things about entry-level jobs is that you only need to be willing to learn how to specialize.
Fact: as long as you have some kind of education (bachelor’s, master’s, etc.), the pay will be much better than what a trainee or entry-level worker earns in comparison.
What job industries pay the most?
According to Statista, the gas and fuel industry is one of the most productive sectors in the United States, which is why its workers earn a salary.
For example, in 2021, the Gross Domestic Product (GDP) value earned in that industry was $331.2 million. Concerning how much a worker in this industry earns, more precisely, an industrial engineer, the average salary, according to Forbes data, is $92,660.
So if you are interested in a job in what primary industries jobs pay the most, the energy sector is one of the best-paid industrial areas in the U.S. since the development of a society depends on its operation. Some of the highest-paying positions in this sector include:
- Gas plant operators. It would help if you had at least a high school education and knowledge of handling equipment and tools related to natural gas extraction. The average annual salary is $72,000.
- Chemical engineer. It is one of the important positions within the energy sector. For obvious reasons, it is mandatory to have at least a bachelor’s degree. If you have other university degrees and more than five years of experience, you could apply for a project manager or project leader position. The average yearly salary for a chemical engineer in the U.S. is $104,000.
- Drill operators. Interested in working in the oilfield? Drill operators are responsible for working with machines that extract components such as oil from the ground. While this is a high-paying ($98,000 on average) entry-level job in the industry, it requires extensive knowledge of the machinery and is, therefore, somewhat dangerous.
- Petroleum engineers. It is a job where you can earn about $112,000 per year. Of course, the salary will be higher or lower depending on the company or position.
- Area supervisors (foreman). Due to the tasks to be performed, in addition to being in charge of a group of employees, it is one of the best paid in primary industries Jobs. It is usually occupied by a professional with many years of experience in the industry. They can earn $180,000.
Which primary industries jobs pay good money?
The list is extensive. Let’s take a look at some of the best-paying basic industrial jobs in the United States:
- Agronomists. According to Payscale, the average salary for an agronomist in 2022 was around $60,770. Of course, the amount can be higher depending on education, experience, location, and company.
- Metalworkers. It is one of the essential jobs within the industry. According to Indeed’s updated data, a metallurgist can earn around $90,620 annually in the U.S., well above agronomists. Of course, it’s worth mentioning that this industry requires safety knowledge.
- Pipefitter. A worker capable of installing, fabricating, assembling, and repairing mechanical installations. They usually start as helpers or apprentices. Per hour, a pipefitter can earn $26.84, according to Indeed.
- Truck driver. It is an important industry job that requires a lot of commitment. While you don’t have to have a degree, you must have a commercial driver’s license specific to the type of truck you drive. The average truck driver’s salary ranges from $45,000 to $60,000.
- Electrician. This position requires extensive knowledge of switches, electrical wiring, power sources, etc. Depending on the type of work, you can earn up to $67,000.
In addition to the basic industrial jobs listed above, you can also earn a good amount of money annually with these other jobs:
- Machine Operators: $55,931 (average)
- Operations Manager: $71,000
- Quality Controllers: $156,448
- Fabricator of Steel: $56,500
- Synthetic chemist: $62,650
Is the industrial sector a good career option?
Without a doubt, basic industrial jobs are an excellent job and career choice. In addition, they are generally high-paying jobs. You can choose from a wide variety.
The average salary is around $60,000 (annual). If we look at the average salary of a general worker, it is a sum of money that far exceeds it ($25,000).
Another point to keep in mind is that these jobs do not require education or, in any case, will only require a high school diploma. So it is not necessary to present certifications or anything like that. As long as you have the predisposition to learn and train in the field, it is an excellent choice for you to develop as a professional.
If you’re looking for jobs at 14, consider reaching out to local businesses, community centers, or schools to inquire about opportunities.
What does a primary industry do?
A basic industry provides energy sources and essential materials for primary industry production (energy, water, gas, oil, etc.). Companies in these sectors work directly with manufacturers, while manufacturers work directly with consumers. Because of its characteristics, it is one of the highest-paying and most in-demand sectors in the U.S.
How much does an hourly employee earn in basic industries?
The average hourly pay is $62 but can be as high as $71, while the lowest income is $54. It’s important to remember that wages vary depending on location, type of work, and other aspects.
Do I have opportunities to develop in the sector in the future?
Of course, you do. There are many job opportunities if you are interested in this career path. Many supervisors or program leaders of renowned companies started earning a basic salary and working by the hour to get to where they are today.
- Published by Statista Research Department and 9, J. (2023) Real value added to U.S. GDP by the primary sector, by industry 2021, Statista. Available at: https://www.statista.com/statistics/1282672/real-value-added-us-gdp-primary-sector-industry/
- Average agronomist salary (no date) PayScale. Available at: https://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Agronomist/Salary
- DePietro, A. (2022) Here’s how much money industrial engineers earn in every U.S. state, Forbes. Forbes Magazine. Available at: https://www.forbes.com/sites/andrewdepietro/2020/10/31/heres-how-much-money-industrial-engineers-earn-in-every-us-state/?sh=31525bd17058