Especially this could be more difficult and more stressful for the students coming on an F1 visa because most of the students finance their studies through scholarships and other kinds of grants or loans.
When it comes to the living expenses in the United States, even being a little sick can be more expensive if we do not take preventive measures on time. Getting ill or suffering any unexpected health issue in the United States is not something that every student can afford only on the basis of scholarships or grants.
However, we cannot predict our life and situations. Things change suddenly. Time and tide never ask you. So, being aware is our responsibility, And also, taking preventive measures at the correct stage would be helpful.
You can suddenly fall ill or find yourself in a very poor health condition, far from home and family. What would you do if you found yourself seriously injured and you did not have any backup plans to pay the bills for your treatment?
Do International Students in USA Need Health Insurance?
In some universities in the USA, students might need health insurance to enrol at the university. But keep one thing in your mind, this requirement of the health insurance requisite by the university is not involved in the law of the USA.
So, you will need to check whether your university needs health insurance for the enrollment procedure or not. Check whether it is mandatory or not for enrollment of an international student.
Why Can’t I Use My Travel Insurance Instead of Health Insurance?
Your travel insurance does not work as international student insurance. You can see differences in the making of both insurances. The motive behind travel insurance is to protect you or your belongings from the extra expenses of your trip or tours.
And the motive behind health insurance is to protect you or your belongings from an intense expenditure involving medical treatments.
That is why you cannot use your travel insurance instead of health insurance.
Get Health Insurance for International Students
Here are some steps that you must follow in order to get health insurance coverage for international students in the USA.
Check if your school/university/college in the United States requires a health insurance plan or not.
- If they compulsorily implement health insurance, then you must ask them if they implement any tuition fees additionally or do you need to pay them after that. Proceed with completing your payments.
- They will need a mandatory health insurance plan to check whether you fit those criteria or not. If you don’t, then ask them to send you a waiver.
- Also, you can check for companies out there in order to get a health insurance plan for you. There will be international brokers available for you to get your business done.
- While listing your benefits would be a helpful thing here. Also, do not forget to check whether your beneficiaries are added to the policy or not. Bringing someone with you while adding beneficiaries would be the best thing.
- Although you have many choices when selecting a better health insurance plan for you, then you can further proceed with the payment and purchasing.
Best Health Insurance Plans
In this section, there are some important and widely used health insurance plans. In contrast, most international students choose to look after these plans. These plans are widely accepted in the United States.
Here are the best health insurance plans for international students in the United Students. The plans are as follows:
- ExchangeGurad: This insurance plan offers COVID-19 coverage. This is very helpful. As we all know, we are going through a hazardous pandemic. This health insurance gives you the whole coverage as per the situation.
- Student Secure: It offers COVID-19 coverage.
- Patriot Exchange Program: It offers COVID-19 coverage.
- Patriot America: There is no COVID-19 coverage.
- Navigator Student: There is no COVID-19 coverage.
- Study USA: This insurance plan offers COVID-19 coverage for international students. This insurance plan is the best and widely used by international students in the USA.