Graduate scheme season is in full swing and there are plenty of interviews on the horizon. Being the ideal student that you are, you’ve researched what competency questions to expect, alongside behavioural interview questions.
But how would you respond to a question along the lines of “Do you like to sing in the shower?”
Now, don’t pretend that you aren’t guilty of providing a pitch perfect rendition of Robbie Williams’ ‘Angels’ whilst conducting your daily wash, but would you ever admit this to a potential employer? Do they want to see that you have a lighter side to your personality? Or do they expect constant professionalism in all walks of life? Does the employer actually care what your answer is, or is the question just a way for them to see how you deal with something unexpected?
It’s tough to say for certain, but Aimee Bateman, AAT Official Career Coach said, “The range of random and sometimes unbelievable questions or tasks candidates have been subjected to shows sometimes you just can’t predict what will be thrown at you.
’However, the best way to maintain composure and reduce the chances of embarrassment is to try to prepare for every possibility and be prepared to think on your feet if need be.”
To help you prepare for the unexpected, here’s a list of the oddest interview questions:
– Would you post about work on Facebook?
– Would you rather know a lot about a little or a little about a lot?
– Who would you invite to a dinner party?
– Who would win in a fight: Superman or Batman?
– Who is your favourite Doctor Who?
– Which video game character would you like to be and why?
– Which three celebrities would you like to join for a night out?
– Do you prefer to be right, or be liked?
– Do you wear jeans outside of work?
– What would you do if the sun died out?
– Are you a Coronation Street or EastEnders fan?
– What would you do if you caught a member of staff kissing the boss?
– What dinosaur would you like to be?
– Was the book Frankenstein really about state control?
– Is a Jaffa cake a cake or biscuit?
– If a Hippo falls into a hole how would you get it out?
– Do you like to sing in the shower?
– Would you drive through an amber traffic light?
The essential springboard into the job market for school leavers, students and graduates. The AllAboutGroup have worked across more than 1000 campaigns with HR teams from over 250 firms over the last decade as their partners to help them solve problems across all parts of the recruitment process.