Finding a job can be very stressful if you want to work in what you have studied or trained for. In the case of an LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse), there are various tasks that they can perform as a nurse but without being involved in riskier medical procedures.
If you are looking for an LPN job near me, you might find that there are several places where you’ll be able to start working if you meet the requirements for this position. Keep in mind that it requires a lot of knowledge regarding patient care.
What is LPN?
LPN stands for Licensed Practical Nurse, and it is the work done by nurses who provide exceptional care to patients, whether in a hospital or at home. Among the jobs and assistance, an LPN helps patients to eat, bathe, dress, walk, etc.
LPNs are assistants to RNs, who are Registered Nurses and maintain constant communication with primary care physicians to report on the patient’s condition. On the other hand, they are in charge of communicating with the patient’s family members and teaching them instructions and other measures they should take regarding the patient.
Where can I find LPN Jobs near me?
Several companies and hospitals, both public and private, are constantly soliciting jobs as LPNs. These jobs are usually posted on job boards. Some of the most recognized websites for finding LPN jobs are Indeed, ZipRecruiter and Glassdoor.
Another way to find available LPN vacancies is by accessing the official websites of different clinics, hospitals, forensic doctors, nursing homes, and other health care centers.
But even amusement parks usually have LPN jobs near me. You can also go to these centers in person to hand in your resume.
How much is the LPN’s salary?
There are many LPN jobs available across the country, but one of the biggest unknowns, and what you think of first when looking for a job, is the salary and the money they pay to perform it. It is becoming increasingly common and sought after by people and patients who cannot do their daily activities independently.
The LPN Salary varies depending on the person’s experience. According to Indeed, the annual LPN salary is around $60,402, or a monthly average of $4,277.
To get a job as an LPN, it is essential to complete the following steps:
- You must have completed high school.
- You must enroll in one of the many LPN programs available at different academic institutions. These are training plans offered by certified schools, such as vocational colleges. The best option is to enroll in one where the LPN program is legalized by the NLNAC (National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission).
- Once you have your NLNAC certificate, you must schedule the exam for testing and practice.
- For authorization after passing the exam, apply to the National Council of State Boards of Nursing (NCSBN).
- Once you have passed the program, request an appointment for licensure with the National Council for Nurse Practitioners. To do this, you will need to pass the NCLEX-PN exam. You can go to Practical Nursing to find these courses anywhere in the country.
- You will receive your score within 48 business hours after the exam. If you have passed, you are now ready to start looking for LPN jobs.
What jobs can Licensed Practical Nurse do?
LPNs are qualified to perform various tasks related to patient care and administrative issues, counseling, developing safety plans, performing clinical exams, etc. It all depends on where you work; for example, an LPN will have more work in a hospital than in a private home or if you work from home. Among the main activities, we can name:
- Assisting in cleaning and patient care.
- Preparing rooms.
- Making care plans.
- Basic household chores (cooking, cleaning, taking out the garbage, etc.).
- Control medication and give injections.
- Sterilize surgical instruments.
- Provide post-mortem report to coroner.
- Keep medical records of patients.
- Take vital signs and laboratory tests.
- Monitor treatments and clean wounds.
- Communicate with the patient to accompany them not only physically but also in mental health.
What jobs can LPN do from home?
With the advent of the pandemic, work-from-home jobs have increased, and this also involves LPNs, who can perform various tasks from home.
They can take calls from the facility’s call center, do coding for insurance companies, work with medical billing, process patient information, and transcribe documents to add to the system.
Another function an LPN can perform from home is freelance writing for different portals or nursing journals.
What is the difference between an LPN and an RN?
On an institutional scale, the Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) is one step below the Registered Nurse (RN). However, with time and practice, nurses gain knowledge and experience that may lead them to apply for a higher position, such as an RN or Nurse Practitioner (NP). Thus, the salary will also be higher.
What is the most an LPN can make an hour?
The maximum amount of money that you can make if you find an LPN job near me will depend on the institution, whether it is a full-time position, what type of care they must perform, and whether they are self-employed, among others.
The general average income for an LPN is $33.65 per hour.
What are Licensed Practical Nurse travel jobs?
LPNs who wish to work while traveling can do so as Traveling Nurses. Those who travel to different destinations where nursing care is needed due to staffing shortages at a particular clinical facility, usually in another state or far from home, must spend one or more nights. Generally, this job can last between 1 to 3 months.
- “HCA Healthcare LPN and LVN Careers.” HCA Healthcare Careers, https://careers.hcahealthcare.com/pages/hca-healthcare-lpn-and-lvn-careers.
- Muhammad, Adnan. “What Does a Licensed Practical Nurse Do Exactly? | Pima Medical Institute.” Pima Medical Institute, 23 June 2021, https://pmi.edu/blog/what-does-a-licensed-practical-nurse-do-exactly/
- “Nursing Careers | Ballad Health.” Homepage | Ballad Health, https://www.balladhealth.org/careers/nursing.