Ross is one of the best-known low-cost clothing companies. With more than 1,900 stores in the country, it offers its products and suitable quality garments at much lower prices than other retail stores. However, not everyone can work at Ross. Working at Ross is an excellent opportunity for anyone, as it is a company characterized by social inclusion.
To get a job at Ross, in addition to meeting specific requirements, it is essential to understand the minimum age requirements set by the company to apply for any position in a Ross store near your location.
How old do I have to be to work at Ross?
While there are jobs where it is possible to work at 15 and 14 years, according to the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), the U.S. federal and state labor laws state that the minimum legal working age is 16. However, in other states, it is only possible to work after the age of 18. Ross follows these rules agreed upon by the federal government restrictions.
Generally, full-time jobs at Ross are filled by people over 18 years of age, while part-time jobs are adapted for people between 16 and 17 years of age. In other words, the minimum age to work at Ross is 16 years since the store’s jobs do not involve risk and are not considered hazardous activities, which the Secretary of Labor could sanction. In any case, the working hours depend on Ross’s opening hours.
Why do I have to be over 16 to work at Ross?
There are several reasons why it is required that you must be at least 16 years of age to work in Ross. As mentioned above, the main reason is the labor laws, which protect young people from dangerous jobs, ensure their rights are respected, and safeguard their well-being, preventing them from being exploited in the workplace.
The younger a person is, the less experience they will have, and this aspect is one of the most valued when selecting an employee. On the other hand, some jobs at Ross require more excellent skills and responsibilities that are unsuitable for those under 18 years of age or of a certain age. At Ross, some positions can be filled by 16-year-olds because they do not require a lot of responsibility, such as cashiering, customer service, or stocking shelves.
What are Ross jobs for 16-year-olds?
Ross offers various job opportunities for 16-year-olds, who can apply for multiple positions within the company. These teenagers’ main requirements are being attentive, enthusiastic, and willing to work in a team, under pressure, and in a dynamic environment.
Some of the job positions that Ross offers to the youngest applicants are:
- Sales: Responsibilities include assisting customers, stocking shelves, replenishing and organizing merchandise, and crewing cash register stations. This position is ideal for young people seeking sales and customer service experience.
- Warehouse: Stockers are responsible for receiving, sorting, and ordering merchandise in the store’s warehouse, including stocking shelves, from socks to scrubs sold at the Ross boutiques. This position can be an excellent opportunity for teenagers interested in a retail business’s inner workings.
- Manager Trainee Training Program: Ross offers a manager trainee training program where young people gain job skills and abilities, with the possibility of acquiring knowledge and leadership skills within a group. This program is designed for highly motivated individuals seeking a comprehensive learning experience.
- Internship programs: Ross offers programs in various areas, such as logistics, human resources, purchasing, and product planning. These internship programs help young people gain practical experience and start their careers while learning from professionals.
- “How Old Do You Have to Be to Work at Ross?” Jobs For Teens HQ, 16 Jan. 2020, https://jobsforteenshq.com/how-old-do-you-have-to-be-to-work-at-ross/.
- “Career – Retail | Ross Stores.” Careers | Ross Stores, https://jobs.rossstores.com/creative/career-retail#close.