School Leaver Programme new
Access Ashurst Student
- Salary: Travel & lunch paid
- Deadline: 18/01/2021
- Length of Programme: Less than 1 year
- Entry Requirements: Meet PRIME criteria (view job description), Interest in law and Year 12
- Qualification Gained: N/A
- Show Hide locations
Who is Ashurst?
Ashurst is a leading global law firm with a history spanning almost 200 years. Our London office is based closed to Liverpool Street Station, in Spitalfields. Visit our website.
Every year, we provide up to 25 students from state schools with access to a programme of work shadowing, skills workshops and mentoring support.
Access Ashurst is based on the Prime commitment , which aims to increase access to law for state school students who will be the first generation in their immediate family to attend university.
What does this opportunity involve?
Legal Work Experience
- You will undertake a two-week legal work shadowing placement in July/August 2021, at the end of Year 12.
- Week 1: The first week will be spent our London office, providing you with a strong insight into life at the firm, as well as providing an introduction to the type of work encountered as a lawyer at Ashurst. While you’re with us, you’ll also benefit from attending a range of workshops and skills sessions to deepen your understanding of what a career in law entails whilst also developing your soft skills and self-confidence.
- Week 2: The second week will expand your knowledge of the legal and business sectors and will be spent at five different organisations as part of the Social Mobility Business Partnership (SMBP).
- Dates: Monday 26 July 2021 – Friday 6 August 2021.
- Having completed the first year of the programme, you’ll be given access to a mentor from Ashurst throughout Year 13 to support you with taking the next steps in higher education or employment.
- Our e-mentoring programme provides guidance, resources and support through a safe and secure online platform as well as master classes on topics such as preparing for university, personal statements and revision techniques. You’ll also have the opportunity to take part in a virtual skills session during February half term and to return to Ashurst for an 'end of programme' celebration event in early September, before commencing university or employment.
Who are we looking for?
- You want to study Law or gain employment in a law-related field after school.
- Be in Year 12 at school.
- Be attending, and have attended from aged 11, a state funded, non-fee paying school/college.
- You grew up in a household where no parent or guardian attended university.
You must also meet one or more of the following PRIME criteria :
- Be currently in receipt of, or have previously received, free school meals, Pupil Premium, Education Maintenance Allowance and/or 16 to 19 Bursary.
- Be currently in or have previously been in local authority care (for a period of 3 months or longer).
- Be currently or have been, a full-time or part-time carer.
- Have come to the UK as a refugee or asylum seeker.
- Be attending a state school or college with:
a) below average A-Level or Higher point score and/or
b) low rate of progression to higher education.
Note : young people who meet the local authority care criterion do not need to meet any other criterion. These criteria are not exhaustive and may be amended over time.
- Click 'Apply' to begin/continue your application
The deadline for applications is 18 January 2021 at midnight.