Power Systems Engineer Higher Apprenticeship, Electricity Transmission
- Salary: £24,017
- Deadline: CLOSED
- Length of Programme: 1 Year
- Entry Requirements: A Levels or equivalent , -
- Qualification Gained: N/A
- Show Hide locations
You must have, or be predicted to gain, a Grade C or above/4-9 GCSE in English Language.
In addition to the GCSE requirements, you must also have one of the following sets of qualifications:
- 2 A-Levels - 1 must be in either Maths or Physics (Grade C or above)
- BTEC National Certificate Level 3 in Electrical & Electronic Engineering or Engineering (Merit or Distinction with the Maths modules being Merit or Distinction)
- BTEC National Diploma Level 3 in Electrical & Electronic Engineering or Engineering (Merit or Distinction with the Maths modules being Merit or Distinction)
- ONC in Electrical & Electronic Engineering (Merit or Distinction with the Maths modules being Merit or Distinction)
- HNC/HND in Electrical, Electronic or Mechanical Engineering (Pass, Merit or Distinction)
- Degree in Maths, Physics, Chemistry or Engineering
About the role
To design the electricity transmission system of the future, meeting the needs of customers, consumers and stakeholders in the changing energy landscape. Through the application of new technologies and innovative design strategies, enable the economic and efficient development of the transmission network to deliver maximum consumer benefit.
What you'll do
- Coordinate the overall design, development and planning of the transmission network to facilitate the low carbon transition and innovate solutions including network strategies for the holistic development of the transmission system
- Facilitate the economic and efficient growth of the transmission network in line with relevant industry standards, customer requirements and guidance documents.
- Using power simulation software and network models, run analysis on transmission network upgrades and the impact these have on the performance of the overall system.
- Engage with colleagues and external parties to coordinate entire system developments, including the introduction of new technologies to use on the transmission network.
- Understand how the transmission network behaves over a range of network conditions
- Ensure the transmission network is planned to acceptable and safe limits in accordance with relevant industry standards.
What's in it for you
- Competitive salary
- Competitive pension scheme
- Fully funded Foundation Degree
- Support with professional body accreditation
- Flexible benefits available
What you'll get
You will receive a starting salary of £24,017 and you will work towards a level 4 qualification or a foundation degree depending on the programme. You will also have access to a number of additional benefits such as 25 days’ holiday, full board accommodation whilst away at our training academy and all travel expenses paid for when you’re not at your base location.
Who we are
At National Grid, we don’t just ask our people to deliver to the highest standards. We also support them to be the best they can be. We welcome and encourage applicants with diverse experiences and backgrounds. National Grid’s ambition is to drive, develop and operate our business in a way that results in a more inclusive culture. We are committed to building a workforce which represents the communities we serve and a working environment in which each individual feels respected, fairly treated, valued and able to reach their full potential.
You must be willing to relocate your primary residence to within a 45-minute journey time to the location of the role.
The closing date for this vacancy is Sunday 16th February, however we encourage candidates to submit their application as early as possible and not to wait until the published closing date. National Grid's recruitment periods can and may vary. We reserve the right to remove this advert or close it to further applications at any point during the recruitment process.
If you consider yourself to have a disability, long term health condition and/or require any reasonable adjustments to complete any part of our application process, please make us aware as soon as possible so we can make the relevant adjustments.
Please also contact us if you require this, or any other document in an alternative format such as large print, braille, audio or easy read.