Project Controls, Capital Delivery
- Salary: £23,500
- Deadline: CLOSED
- Length of Programme: 2 Years
- Entry Requirements: A Levels or equivalent , .
- Qualification Gained: Professional Qualification
- Show Hide locations
About the role
You’re the type of person who is constantly thinking about the bigger picture, but you never forget the small details of multiple projects.
Making you a perfect fit in the Project Controls team, where you will be involved in supporting projects spanning substation developments, overhead lines, tunnelling and cables, gas transmission and security upgrades to protect our critical national infrastructure.
Sounds like you’re going to be doing quite a bit of networking too then; a great opportunity to gain a broad overview of Capital Delivery and the wider business. Did you also say you could juggle?
Great, let’s get you accomplishing your primary goals in developing your project management skills so you can determine project objectives, cost engineering, establishing schedules and ultimately coordinating projects, because that’s what it’s all about, right?
This is a great opportunity to gain a broad overview of Capital Delivery and the wider business and to develop and expand your knowledge of Project Management whilst growing a network of contacts.
As part of the Project Controls team you will be involved in supporting projects spanning substation developments, overhead lines, tunnelling and cables, gas transmission and security upgrades to protect our critical national infrastructure. This role will give you a platform to develop your technical, commercial and project management skills, and engaging with diverse stakeholders to maintain customer focus, all vital for successful delivery of a project.
Key Tasks and Areas of Work
As a higher apprentice in our Project Controls team you’ll gain experience in all aspects of estimating, risk and cost management, change, reporting, planning and programme management including:
- Participating in scheme teams, preparing budget estimates for future construction projects through their development from business case to contract award.
- Collaborating with Project Development and Investment Delivery to develop the best value solution to meet a given business need.
- Supporting Project Managers and their teams during project delivery.
- Maintaining the Cost Book we use to estimate the price of our work to reflect market trends by analysing tender submissions and outturn prices on completed projects.
- Helping to run risk workshops and scanning project risk registers to identify and flag broader risk trends that might impact our portfolio.
- Understanding how projects interact with each other and the operational constraints of a live system within National Grid’s outage plan.
- The opportunity to be involved in project planning and programme management of live projects.
By achieving all of this you’ll be making sure we hit the Network Output Measures plan; the projects that protect the asset health ratings which drive a large part of the National Grid’s revenues.
Personal development is important you, so it’s important to us in Capital Delivery. You’ll be supported as you work closely with your line manager to establish a development plan, tailored to fit your needs while developing a wide range of leadership, business and technical skills through structured training and on the job experience.
In Capital Delivery, we are committed to the personal development of our staff. Joining us, you’ll be supported as you develop a wide range of leadership, business and technical skills through structured training and on the-job experience. And you’ll work closely with your line manager to establish and navigate through a Personal Development Plan that is tailored to your needs.
If you’re keen to earn while you learn, our Project Management Higher Apprenticeship Programme is a great opportunity to gain a level 4 Diploma in Project Management which has been accredited by the APM (Association of Project Management) with the potential to lead to a degree.
Or, if you already have a degree, it’s an ideal way to specialise in a vital, demanding and growing area. Thanks to the mix of formal study at college and practical experience at our offices in Warwick/Castle Donnington, you’ll develop well-rounded skills. Upon successful completion of the programme, you can look forward to a permanent job within the Project Controls team.