Tax Apprenticeship (Advisory) - September 2020
- Salary: Competitive
- Deadline: Ongoing
- Entry Requirements: Minimum of 112 UCAS points. This is based on the new 2017 UCAS Tariff. You can calculate your UCAS points here., Grade B or above in GCSE English Language and Maths.
- Qualification Gained: Professional Qualification
- Show Hide locations
OVERVIEW OF THE TAX SERVICE LINE
At Mazars we’ll help you build on your expertise, experience and ambition to develop a rewarding and successful career. We want you to be yourself, to bring your ideas and creativity and to feel inspired as part of our national tax team.
We provide bespoke advice in all areas of taxation, helping our clients to navigate the complexities of tax codes, often in multiple jurisdictions, and to help them ensure they are fulfilling all their obligations and paying the correct amount of tax. In this way we help them to manage an area of significant financial and reputational risk and to make properly informed decisions about their tax position whether they are an individual, a business owner or a corporate organisation. We also help clients resolve any disputes they have with the tax authorities as swiftly as possible.
We cover every aspect of taxation for clients, whether on employment, corporate profits or gains, movements of individuals or businesses from one country to another, international transactions or on personal income, gains or wealth.
As a trainee in our Advisory Tax Team, your time will be split between working on client projects, business development and studying for your professional exams. Our Advisory Tax Team focuses on our corporate and private clients, meeting their tax advisory needs in an environment of fast paced economic change, combined with complex and changing legislation both in the UK and overseas. Our corporate clients range from listed multinationals to domestic owner managed businesses. While our private clients include entrepreneurs, high net worth individuals and owner/shareholders of our corporate clients. The role will be primarily office based, but with regular opportunities to attend client or other advisors offices, as well as other Mazars offices both in the UK and overseas.
The Advisory Tax Team often find themselves at the vanguard of the client relationship, therefore the role will develop not only your tax technical skills, but also the wider project management of multi-disciplinary projects. The role will therefore provide an opportunity to work with colleagues in different tax disciplines and other service lines across our organisation. In this way you will gain a broad understanding of the specialist services we can offer to our clients, the value of this advice to them and their businesses and the way that the different streams of work interact with each other and with the wider practice.
By the end of your final year, you will have had the opportunity to:
- Work on a range of different advisory engagements across UK tax covering a range of technical areas
- Develop a strong technical knowledge of the UK tax legislation, specifically across corporate and personal taxes
- Coach and lead more junior team members on advisory engagements
- Understand the way in which different corporate entities operate across a range of sectors, as well as the different challenges facing our private client customer base in terms of managing tax risk, estate/succession planning and the implications of being internationally mobile
- Work directly with our clients and begin developing relationships with those clients to deliver on repeat engagements
- Begin to manage advisory engagements, including planning, budgeting and project managing different service lines
- Develop a strong understanding of our control and risk management procedures
- Interpersonal skills; the ability to build client relationships with a foundation of trust and responsibility.
- Analytical skills; the ability to think critically, research and solve problems.
- Attention to detail and strong time-management skills.
- Commitment to self-development & learning.
- Affinity with our values; in particular, respect for individuals, diversity and integrity.
- Teamwork; the ability to function and contribute effectively as part of a high achieving team.
Strong academic performance is important so we know that you’re ready to take your professional exams. However, we understand things don’t always go to plan – so if you don’t meet our minimum requirements, please let us know if you have any exceptional achievements or extenuating circumstances which affected your results. We also consider your achievements in the context of your socio-economic background, so encourage you to submit your contextual information.
- Minimum of 112 UCAS points. This is based on the new 2017 UCAS Tariff. You can calculate your UCAS points here.
- Grade B or above in GCSE English Language and Maths.
We will fund for you to study towards the AAT qualification. After successful completion of this you will go onto study the combined ACA/CTA qualification.
You will receive a full study package to ensure that you successfully complete your professional qualification. This includes time off to study, attend college and complete online courses. Your professional qualification is only part of the story at Mazars; we support all of our trainees with a blended approach to training and development including classroom study, 1:1 coaching, and soft skills training.
You will be supported by a mentor and an appraising manager to keep your career and aspirations on track.
CULTURE & REWARD
DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION AT MAZARS
Mazars is committed to a 360 degree diversity approach, from building diverse leadership teams which reflect our clients and society, to creating an open, inclusive, culture where individual voices are heard. Our client-facing people can be required to travel regularly or may be based at client sites - our approach to agile working (see benefits) can help achieve a lifestyle balance without compromising on client service. We welcome applications from those returning to employment after a break from their careers. Visit our D&I page to see the ways we are driving diversity https://www.mazarscareers.co.uk/about-mazars/diversity-inclusion .
BESPOKE BENEFITS THAT WORK FOR YOU
We recognise that benefits are important to you and our aim at Mazars is to give you as much choice as possible and to allow you to benefit from our buying power. We offer core benefits to all employees – 25 days holiday, pension, life assurance and income protection insurance. Beyond that we want you to be able to choose benefits that you want, rather than have all benefits chosen for you.
As a Mazars employee you also have access to a range of voluntary benefits including a shopping-discount platform, discounted phone contracts, gym memberships and interest free season ticket loans.
Mazars is an international, integrated and independent firm, specialising in audit, accountancy, advisory and tax services. Being part of the Mazars team means being part of something big! Operating in 89 countries around the world, the opportunities to build and develop your career are infinite. Whether that’s gaining exposure to different types of clients, learning new skills or exploring international opportunities. We open doors that make Your Years at Mazars, Years That Count.
In the UK, Mazars has approximately 140 partners and over 1,700 employees serving clients from 17 offices and is ranked one of the top 10 firms nationally. Globally we draw on the expertise of 40,000 professionals – 24,000 in the Mazars integrated partnership and 16,000 via the Mazars North America Alliance - to assist clients at every stage in their development.