Graduate Job new
Economics and Policy Consultant
- Entry Requirements: 112 UCAS (new tariff) across 3 A Levels or 104 (new tariff) across 4 Highers/Advanced Highers;, A predicted/obtained honours degree.
- Salary: Competitive
- Deadline: Ongoing
- Show Hide locations
- Belfast and Cambridge
Join our Economics Consulting team in either Cambridge or Belfast on our graduate scheme and take a bold first step towards your future career. Become part of our team and get business experience that will help you really stand out.
What can you expect?
RSM’s Economics Consulting team works predominantly with public sector clients, to provide evidence for effective government policy making and public investment decisions. We complete research, evaluation and analysis that has an impact on the economy and society through the recommendations we make to help improve the effectiveness of public policy and practice. Our recent projects include evaluations of pilot NHS programmes to improve patient care and achieve cost savings for the NHS; studies into what affects housebuilding rates in England; research into the commercialisation of intellectual property produced in the university sector; and cluster analysis in the cyber-security industry. Our 25-strong team of economists, evaluation experts, and social development researchers, work across all areas of public policy. We are experiencing fast growth as our work for UK government departments expands.
This presents exciting career opportunities for to join a team focused on delivering real value to clients from our Cambridge and Belfast offices.
At RSM, you’ll be a key member of our team from day one. Our graduate programme allows you to experience working in the Consultancy team alongside current trainees and experienced members of the firm. You’ll benefit from on-the-job training from colleagues and gain access to our internal training courses that will help you develop in the role. This hands-on early experience is invaluable as you take the next steps in your career.
Our Consultants are responsible for:
- maintaining RSM's high level of service and values, taking responsibility for ensuring timely delivery of quality research outputs to clients;
- working on small to medium sized consultancy projects, with responsibility for tasks such as interviewing, data analysis and running surveys.
- contributing to reports and deliverables, drafting reports and producing charts and maps using software on which they will be trained.
- their own career development plan setting out personal objectives, marketing their skills and expertise internally to proposal managers and externally to clients, and achieving individual performance targets (utilisation and business development);
- working with RSM colleagues to devise and implement a business development plan, making best use of RSM Marketing and Business Development resources, to raise awareness of RSM’s services;
- assisting with proposal responses to tender specifications issued by government clients in a timely and robust manner;
- developing client relationships and achieving positive client testimonials for the delivery of high quality work;
- mentoring and coaching junior staff as required, seeking to support the team and learning ethos that exists.
What we look for
We’re looking for enthusiastic self-starters who are always up for a challenge. Consulting is a diverse and demanding discipline, so we look for students who are organised and quick to grasp new concepts. It’s important you have confidence and are detail conscious. You’ll need to have a passion for analytics as you will often spend time analysing data both quantitatively and qualitatively while conducting economic research. Working alongside Senior Consultants you will gain experience with budget preparation, task management and reporting so you’ll need excellent written and verbal communication skills. What separates us from our competitors is the analytical acumen we demonstrate and we expect that right from the start from our people.
If that sounds like you, we know you’ll enjoy being part of our team.
At RSM, we don't just look for good exam results. We think passion, personality and originality are just as important.
You will need:
- 112 UCAS (new tariff) across 3 A Levels or 104 (new tariff) across 4 Highers/Advanced Highers;
- A predicted/obtained honours degree.
UCAS changed their points system so under the old tariff it would be 280 or 260 points respectively.
You will also need to be able to demonstrate strong organisational and communication (written and verbal) skills and be detail conscious.
Finally, you will need to demonstrate that you are interested in a career in research, public policy and consulting.
As one of the world’s largest networks of audit, tax and consulting firms, we’ll help you reach your full potential. You’ll work on an impressive client list – from multinational and growth-focused entrepreneurs to fashion icons. The variety of projects will challenge you every day, helping you expand your capabilities and grow professionally. And with access to a global team that spans more than 120 countries, you’ll have plenty of opportunity to broaden your horizons. Discover a culture that nurtures individuality and celebrates fresh thinking. It's your career. Own it at RSM.