Trainee Compliance Officer
- Salary: Competitive
- Deadline: Ongoing
- Entry Requirements: ., .
- Qualification Gained: Professional Qualification
- Show Hide locations
Smith & Williamson is a leading independently owned financial services firm combining an accountancy practice, investment management arm and a private bank. We provide award winning services to a broad range of clients such as start-ups, high-net-worth individuals, corporates, professional practices and non-profit organisations.
We have 12 offices around the UK, Ireland and Jersey, and we’re a member of Nexia International, a top 10 global network of independent accounting and consulting firms. This means we’re well-connected to thousands of colleagues around the world, exchanging knowledge and professional expertise daily.
A career here means having more you-time than you might get in other firms. We can also offer you much more responsibility than you might expect. You’ll be working on real projects and liaising with a number of individuals in other departments right from the start — it’s this approach that makes this a more fulfilling place to work. If you’re looking to get more out of your future, we think you’ll love life with Smith & Williamson.
What will I be doing?
At Smith & Williamson we recruit high calibre people with the skills, knowledge and commitment to meet the demands of the business. As a Trainee Compliance Officer, you will combine practical work experience with numerous opportunities to increase your skill set with internal courses.
Performing daily duties associated with the firm’s internal compliance controls and to ensure ongoing compliance with the FCA’s investment & borrowing powers rules, FUND rules, Central Bank of Ireland UCITS Regulations and any other regulations specific to Smith & Williamson.
Duties of the Trainee Compliance Officer are as follows:
- Undertake monitoring of Smith & Williamson Investment Management managed funds to ensure compliance with the investment & borrowing powers limits as provided for by COLL regulation, the relevant Irish UCITS Regulations and the fund’s prospectus.
- Identify, investigate and report on findings, errors and breaches.
- Liaise with the investment and fund administration departments to ensure compliance with regulatory rules and the firm’s procedures.
- Provide appropriate, consistent answers to general queries from the business, escalating more complicated issues as necessary.
- Fund documentation approval
- Assist in the review of fund prospectuses, and reports to ensure that they comply with rules and requirements.
- Assist in the review and feedback on financial promotions for SWFAL funds.
- Reporting to the CIS Compliance Associate Director, assist the department in general compliance matters and monitoring.
- Keep up to date with relevant changes in regulation and business processes.
What training and development will I receive in my first few years?
Alongside your work you will also have the opportunity to attend internal training courses and receive on-going on the job
To be successful in this role you will:
- Be committed and motivated to developing your experience within Compliance.
- Be able to deliver first class client service and work effectively as part of a team
- Demonstrate an ability to communicate clearly both verbally and in writing
- Have a high level of general commercial awareness
- Achieved two A levels, grade B or above (or equivalent qualification)
- Be willing to study towards the Investment Operations Certificate