Substation Engineer, Electricity Transmission
- Salary: £23,500
- Deadline: CLOSED
- Length of Programme: 3 Years
- Entry Requirements: A Levels or equivalent , .
- Qualification Gained: Professional Qualification
- Show Hide locations
About the Role
As a Higher Apprentice Engineer, working at your current level of training, you would be ensuring the continued safe and reliable operation of the electricity transmission network through the efficient maintenance of substation assets.
Once you have successfully completed the Higher Apprentice you could be responsible for performing substation engineering services on various projects (from 69 up to 765 kV voltage levels). Prepare electrical protection and control design deliverables, and/or physical layouts for high and extra high voltage substations (HV and EHV).
Key Tasks and Areas of Work
Whilst on programme, Higher Apprentice Substation Engineers can typically expect to;
- Shadow experienced craftsperson’s and engineers in site work
- Interpret engineering drawings
- Experience major outages and faults including
- Transformer and Circuit breaker maintenances
- Involvement in planning of outages
- Shadowing experienced protection engineers
- Pass safety authorisation to become Competent Persons
- Undertake Authorised Persons and Senior Authorised Persons training and site - based homework
- Outage planning
The Higher Apprentice Engineer programme has been designed specifically to develop new trainees into site based supervisor roles within Electricity Transmission Owner delivery.
These are based within a number of National Grid substation sites around the UK.
The programme is 36 months in duration and features a blended learning approach including;
- On job experiences - structured specifically by the team leader and mentor. This may involve shadowing and delivering day to day work activities. The log book aims to structure and reflect on this learning
- Academy specialist training (Eakring, Nottinghamshire) - National Grid Academy technical, safety and professional training modules delivered by qualified delivery staff. These modules are a selection of business specific and general training modules.
- Academic qualification - Foundation Degree in Engineering (Electricity Transmission) with Aston University