School Leaver Programme new
- Salary: £18,500 to £29,500
- Deadline: CLOSED
- Entry Requirements: Qualified to GCSE standard, grade C (or equivalent) at Mathematics and English essential
- Qualification Gained: N/A
- Show Hide locations
Farrer & Co is an independent law firm, with a rich history. A centuries-long tradition of advising private families, individuals and charitable institutions is today complemented by our work with Businesses, Financial Services, Individuals, Families and Family Offices (IFFO), Education and Not For Profit organisations.
We look to be the market leader in our chosen areas of expertise, advising clients on the contentious and non-contentious legal, business and personal issues they face.
Our reputation and success is based on the goodwill of numerous close client relationships. We are trusted advisers, acting in our clients' long-term interests and paying careful attention to quality and personal service.
Our clients tell us they value us for our integrity, good judgement and professional excellence, as well as our broad perspective, practical solutions and value for money. They describe us as 'a likeable bunch' too.
The team is responsible for the development and overall control of all matters relating to the firm's financial policies, financial affairs and administration.
We are looking for an extremely organised and proactive junior secretary to provide a high level of professional support to The Chief Financial Officer, Finance Director, Head of Finance Operations and Board Secretary as well as other members of the Department as required. You are highly motivated, display outstanding attention to detail and have the ability to multitask with ease. It is essential that you are a strong team player with a positive, up-beat approach.
Finance Operational Support
- To provide ad-hoc assistance in the preparation, amendment and sending out of client invoices during busy periods and as required
- To provide assistance to the credit control team with sending outstanding invoice reminders by letter and email during times of high volume
- To assist the Finance Operations team during the VAT quarter in chasing receipted counsel fee notes from barristers chambers and clearing these through the system once received
- To act as the gatekeeper for firm wide expense claims being processed through our online system, prior to approval by the CFO/Finance Director
- To assist with effective diary management with supervision
- To organise lunches/dinners and travel (booking of trains, flights, hotels etc)
- Act as a point of contact for the Executive Office and Finance & Risk Team’s EmpowerMe (holiday database) holiday requests
- To assist the CFO with Legal Finance Forum (LFF) and Solicitors Financial Management Group (SFMG) administration
- To assist the Board Secretary with preparation for Conferences and Quarterly Meetings
- To assist the Board Secretary with weekly Board Packs
- To create typed work of a high quality, formatting in accordance with house style, at high speed, with accuracy and following internal guidelines
- To makes effective use of the Document Management System
- To create new documents from the Firm’s templates, using contact data from InterAction where appropriate
- To Proof-read all documents for spelling, grammar and sense, querying wording where appropriate
IT Skills/Systems and File Management
- To maintain a high level of proficiency in core IT applications including the Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook)
- To adopt a pro-active approach and maintain regular file management, ensuring all files are up to date, closed and archived, as appropriate
- To Keep accurate records of all files sent to off-site storage via Records
Skills and Experience
- Previous office experience in the legal sector preferred
- To have excellent timekeeping and be able to prioritise work effectively
- To be flexible, reliable, co-operative and have a professional approach to work
- To work as a positive, friendly and helpful team player
- To communicate in a positive and constructive manner
- To interact in good faith and demonstrate effective listening
- To provide excellent service to third parties such as bankers, tax advisers and accountants and members of the Firm, in a timely and professional manner, presenting a positive image of the Firm at all times
- To recognise, respect and honour confidentiality at all times
- To have a good knowledge of all systems/processes used within the Department
Education and Qualifications
- Qualified to GCSE standard, grade C (or equivalent) at Mathematics and English essential
- This is a full time position and the firm's core office hours are 9:30am to 5:30pm, however the firm would consider working hours outside of this pattern, for example 8.00am to 4.00pm.
- It is essential to be committed, flexible and prepared to work beyond the normal office hours when necessary and especially during busy periods.