Civil Engineering Apprentice L3 Swindon
- Salary: Competitive Salary
- Deadline: CLOSED
- Length of Programme: 3 Years
- Entry Requirements: GCSE's, GCSE's
- Qualification Gained: Professional Qualification
- Show Hide locations
Jacobs is one of the world’s largest and most diverse providers of full-spectrum technical, professional and consultancy services for industrial, commercial and government organisations globally.
With more than 77,000 people globally, our teams collaborate, innovate and create. Our people are proud to have been behind some of the greatest consultancy and engineering feats over the past 70 years.
We foster a collaborative and inclusive environment for our people, and our partners, and we want you to be a part of our growing business.
We encourage applications from candidates looking for flexible working or reduced hours’ contracts.
We currently have an opportunity for an Apprentice within our Highways team based in Swindon. The successful person will become part of a respected and ambitious company with excellent career prospects and international opportunities.
The successful individual will be working towards an Advanced Level 3 - Civil Engineering qualification including Functional Skills Level 2/3 in English and Maths. This will be taught as a 1 day release for a duration of 2-3 years. which leads to Technician Membership of the Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE).
Working as a civil engineering design technician providing technical support to engineers who design, build and manage design and construction projects.
Civil engineering apprentices (whilst at the office) provide support to civil engineers who design, build and manage construction projects related to highways projects:
Key responsibilities could involve:
- Production of CAD drawings, and developing design skills
- Preparation of simple calculations to support design development
- Supporting the administration & delivery of projects
- Ensuring design outputs meet the required standards
- Meeting agreed deadlines
- Working as an integral member of a design delivery team
- Contributing to providing solutions to challenging problems
- Working both in an office environment and on site
This apprenticeship is suitable for someone looking for a career in civil engineering and particularly those who are interested in working on the highway elements of projects (these include alignment design, road construction, drainage and signing and marking of road schemes).
There is the opportunity to go onto further study to enable you to be qualified to degree level and achieve the Chartered Engineer status.
- Minimum 5 passes at GCSE with a preferred Grade ‘6' or higher in Mathematics, preferred Grade ‘5' or higher in English and a preferred Grade ‘6' or higher in a Science/Technology related subject (i.e. Physics/ Chemistry/ICT etc.
- Confident communications skills both spoken and verbal
- Confident IT skills, experience of using MS office packages; particularly Microsoft Excel
- Strong numeracy skills, competent at Maths and Physics
- Problem solving, attention to detail and a desire to come up with practical solutions
- Creative and practical
- Adaptable and persevering
- Interested in using computers for design work, calculations, and testing designs
- CAD experience with the ability to produce neat and accurate technical drawings
- Ability to think in a methodical way to design, plan and organize projects
- Work well with other people in a team
- Ability to organize the work of others
- Present information in speech, drawings and reports
Closing date: 6th April 2019
Expected Start date: August 2019
Course Enrolment: September 2019
Number of roles: 1
Working week: 40 hours per week including 1 college day
Office address: Burderop Park, Swindon, SN4 0QD
Training provider address: Bridgwater College
Please ensure you can commute to/from at these locations (both the office and training provider location) during office hours before applying for this opportunity.
At Jacobs we see safety differently - we strive to go ‘BeyondZero’ by putting the health, safety and well-being of our employees first in everything we do.
We are committed to equality across our business and we work with external organisations such as STEM, WISE (Women in Science & Engineering) and Stonewall. We are also Disability Confident Committed; therefore, we guarantee to interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for a vacancy.
When you join Jacobs you will have access to a wide range of Global Networks, centred on inclusion and diversity which is the foundation of our business and at the centre of our values.
To find out more about our networks, please visit our website; www.jacobs.com
Successful candidates will be asked to complete a Baseline Personnel Security Standard Pre-Employment check and will be required to undergo various checks including: Identity, Right to Work; Employment/Education History and Criminal Record. If you are unable to meet this and any associated criteria, then your employment may be delayed or rejected.
JACOBS is an Equal Opportunity Employer who is committed to the safety and wellbeing of all.
Primary Location: United Kingdom-United Kingdom Countrywide-Swindon
Job Posting: Mar 12, 2019, 5:39:36 PM
Jacobs leads the global professional services sector delivering solutions for a more connected, sustainable world.
With $15.0 billion in combined revenue and a talent force more than 77,000 strong, Jacobs provides a full spectrum of services including scientific, technical, professional, construction- and program-management for business, industrial, commercial, government and infrastructure sectors.
For more information, visit www.jacobs.com