Want to work in professional services? Not sure which area is right for you? Take our quiz to find out. https://quiz.allaboutcareers.com

graduate jobs

Construction, Architecture & Maintenance careers

Interiors & Finishing

How many different professions make up the interiors and finishing sector?

If your house was just a big brick shell, it’d probably be pretty cold come winter time. It’d also be pretty unattractive, dark and dingy. Sure, some exposed brickwork in your new city pad can look pretty cool, but not on every wall.

This is where careers in interiors and finishing become important. These are the people that make buildings comfortable, attractive and functional. Evidently, they put the finishing touches to all construction, architecture and maintenance work.

Without these guys, everybody would hopelessly be taking forever trying to do their own painting and decorating, plastering and tiling (much like the time your Dad tried to redecorate the downstairs bathroom and it took him the best part of a decade).

People who work in this area pursue specialist practical careers that deal with the essential parts of every room, such as the ceilings, walls, windows, floors, and other fittings.

Where are interiors and finishing professionals employed?

Most of these specialist trades don’t require specific academic qualifications and many people enter these careers through on-the-job training or apprenticeships.

Some interiors and finishing professionals might try their hand at a number of specialist trades and offer a full service to their clients. Others will specialise purely in one specific area, such as plastering.

Interiors and finishing professionals work in all kinds of construction environments, ranging from private homes and schools, to hospitals and power stations.

What is a floor layer in charge of?

Let’s start at the bottom! Floor layers do exactly what they say they do: they lay floors! Carpets, linoleum, wood flooring, tiles; you name it, they lay it (N.B. this does not include eggs!)

If it can go on the floor and you can walk on it, then these people will work with it. These people obviously need the correct practical skills, knowledge of materials and a steady hand. They must also have a good head for measurements, calculations and geometry.

What is a partitioner in charge of?

Moving on up! Walls get the most attention in the interiors and finishing business. First things first: expert partitioners are needed. These guys literally create the rooms within buildings. They follow architectural guidelines and construct and arrange partition walls in the right places. This can be physically challenging and requires careful planning and practical skills.

What is a plasterer in charge of?

Plasterers apply ‘wet finishes’ (i.e. plaster) to ceilings, walls and sometimes floors, so that the surfaces can be painted and decorated easily.

Some just provide ‘solid plastering’ services (the standard kind, which is probably on your walls at home), whereas others specialise in ‘ornamental plastering’, which might adorn the interiors of important and elaborately decorated buildings.

What is a dry liner in charge of?

Dry liners understandably deal with ‘dry finishes’, such as plasterboard and wallboard. These guys plan, measure and fit materials, so that they can be painted, varnished or decorated.

What is a painter/decorator in charge of?

A painting and decorating career does exactly what it says on the tin. People who pursue these careers are responsible for painting and decorating buildings and other structures.

It might involve general painting responsibilities, such as applying emulsion inside homes and offices, or even applying specialist heavy-duty paint to bridges and power stations. Alternatively, these careers may require people to do delicate decorative work with stencils or gold leaf.

What is a renderer in charge of?

Renderers are specialist kinds of painters who put the finishing touches to the outside of buildings. These guys will use specialist weather resistant paints and may even apply specialist finishes which use different textured effects.

What is a tiler in charge of?

Specialist tiling careers are all about applying tiles to surfaces to protect and decorate them. These guys may need to use a bit of artistic flair in conjunction with their expert practical skills (e.g. grouting), as they may need to arrange different coloured and textured tiles in systematic, yet decorative ways. They could be working in private homes, offices and large industrial units.

What is a glazier in charge of?

Glaziers are window experts. These people cut glass and other window materials and fix them in the right place. They may also replace broken windows and substitute single glazed windows for double glazed alternatives. They may work on private homes, offices and supermarkets. Some might even specialise in stained-glass windows and provide churches with an essential glass fitting service. Yet again, these guys need to be good with calculations and measurements.

What is a ceiling fixer in charge of?

The careers of ceiling fixers are all about fixing ceilings (who would’ve thought it?!). They tend to work in larger buildings that require suspended ceilings, such as schools and offices. These suspended ceilings hide away unattractive apparatus and piping for air conditioning and heating units. These guys need to understand and interpret complex plans before they can carry out their practical tasks accurately and efficiently.

Every career in interiors and finishing offers opportunities to progress into supervisory and managerial roles, as people gain more experience. Many people even start their own specialist businesses.

People involved in these careers are the ones who really make a house a home, turning the bare shell of brick and mortar into a liveable space. If that sounds good to you then take a peek at our jobs board to see if any positions stand out to you — a career in interiors and finishing could be exactly what you’re looking for!

Recruiting? We can help