Want to work in professional services? Not sure which area is right for you? Take our quiz to find out. https://quiz.allaboutcareers.com

graduate jobs

Public Sector & Defence careers

Home, Land & Community

Who handles home, land & community issues in the UK?

The government policies and initiatives that concern people’s houses, land and communities are looked after by the Department for Communities and Local Government (CLG) and the Land Registry.

They say that home is where the heart is! Consequently, issues surrounding people’s homes, land and neighbourhoods are particularly important to the public. Understandably then, these matters are a major priority for the UK government.

What does the DCLG do?

The Department for Communities and Local Government is responsible for developing policies and implementing initiatives pertaining to housing and community development.

The organisation is central to the current government’s ‘Big Society’ initiative. They drive forward initiatives that focus on improving social housing, regenerating deprived neighbourhoods and increasing the number of available houses for potential homeowners and prospective tenants.

The Land Registry, on the other hand, is a government agency that oversees the registration of people’s land and property ownership by maintaining a land registration system, and providing businesses and members of the public with vital information about land law and other regulations. These operations are incredibly important to the property market in England and Wales as they allow land and property transactions to be made securely and efficiently.

Furthermore, the Land Registry has an International Unit that aims to “provide advice, expertise and technical know-how to those countries seeking to:

  • establish and develop private land and property ownership
  • secure land tenure
  • develop functioning land and mortgage markets.”*

What careers are available in home, land & community?

If you’re considering a career with the Department for Communities and Local Government, you can get involved in a variety of ways. For more information though, please check out the Local Government subsector now!

The Land Registry offers a broad range of specialist career paths. The agency’s operations are based on one of Europe’s largest database systems. Consequently, a range of specialist I.T. professionals are required, particularly in database administration, data analyst and technical support roles.

Moreover, the agency employs civil servants to work as land surveyors, HR professionals, training specialists and legal advisers.

There are also general entry routes into a number of positions with the Land Registry, where you will be dealing with complex registration casework. You can enter as a Registration Officer, where you will be supporting the agency’s operations in more of an administrative capacity.

No specific academic qualifications are required for entry into these positions. However, a lot of your tasks will involve using a computer and therefore candidates with a certain amount of computer literacy are highly desirable.

You can also enter the Land Registry as a Registration Executive. These guys have a higher level of seniority and are often given the responsibility of supervising a team of Registration Officers.

If you pursue a career as a Registration Executive you will be handling highly technical and complicated registration casework. You will therefore need to be analytical, meticulous and have the ability to solve problems quickly.

If you’re looking for a career that will allow you to influence the ways in which our communities develop, then you’re in the right place! A career in the home, land and community public sector might be the one for you!

Recruiting? We can help