All About UsAllAboutCareers is a social careers information website for everyone who wants to find out more about graduate schemes, apprenticeships, internships and other job-related shenanigans.
- Job Description
- Salary & Benefits
- Working Hours & Other Details
- Entry Route & Requirements
- Training & Progress
Visual merchandisers are in charge of creating attractive visual displays in retail outlets. These guys make shops look the way they do, using their creativity to enhance the aesthetic appeal of window displays, walkways, counters and in-store displays.
The main objective of visual merchandising is to increase sales and buyer attention, capitalising on the human tendency to ‘window-shop’. Displays are frequently changed to promote new product launches and reflect festive or seasonal themes, such as Christmas, spring or summer.
Most visual merchandisers are employed by retail chains and large department stores, such as Marks & Spencer, Topshop and Harrods. Some are employed by agencies that provide contract services to various clients who do not have an in-house team. Other employers include promotions and event management companies.
If you enter this profession, you’ll be creating sketches of visual displays based on the requirements set by your client’s store management department. Once these preliminary designs have been approved, you’ll be finalising the design and creating detailed floor plans. Following this design process, you’ll be sourcing the necessary props, materials and accessories required to bring the designs to life.
Sometimes you may be responsible for actively setting up the displays, but other times you will simply be responsible for supervising the staff tasked with turning your creative designs into a reality. Furthermore, you’ll be working to ensure the uniformity of displays across multiple store locations.
Throughout all these processes, you will frequently be liaising with other retail professionals, such as buyers, marketing executives and retail merchandisers, to make sure each and every store has the right visual impact.
Search for visual merchandiser jobs and other opportunities on our jobs board now.
Salary & Benefits
Annual salaries for entry-level visual merchandisers range between £16,000 and £20,000.
Senior professionals with plenty of experience and managerial responsibilities can earn anywhere between £25,000 and £65,000 per annum.
Senior-level managers employed by large, national and international retailers tend to earn salaries at the higher end of this scale.
Working Hours & Other Details
Although design, conceptualisation and planning work is completed during regular working hours, the actual installation of displays is carried out after stores have closed to the public. Consequently, late evening work is common.
Visual merchandisers responsible for more than one store may need to travel across their assigned areas to plan and install the latest displays or supervise contractors hired for this purpose.
Entry Route & Requirements
The typical entry requirement for a career in visual merchandising is a degree or diploma in a subject such as graphic design, fine art, spatial design, interior design, business studies or retail management.
Furthermore, it’s essential that you gain a decent amount of work experience through internships and develop a comprehensive portfolio of relevant design work.
Training & Progress
Structured graduate training programmes are common in the retail sector, usually covering functions such as buying, merchandising, store management and sales and marketing.
There may not be a specific programme directed towards visual merchandising, but you can move into this area once the general training programme is complete and you have the necessary skills and qualifications for the job.
Alternatively, you could begin your career as an assistant visual merchandiser. Here, you would work under the supervision of a senior professional, learn the trade and develop a comprehensive portfolio of experience before branching out on your own.
Opportunities for future career progression generally involve getting promoted into a senior management role or moving laterally into a different area of retail, such as buying or retail merchandising.
Alternatively, you could become a freelance visual merchandiser and offer high-quality and innovative services to a range of different clients.
What’s going on?
- Is executive MBA a good option ? 26-09-2014 @ 23:08
- Yes of course this is the best option just go for it. Free classifieds ads websites | online advertising UK...
- Where can I get work experience? 26-09-2014 @ 23:00
- This is so beginner question how ever you can get experience with doing job at any reputable firm where the work burden should be higher. Free classifieds ads websites | Post free ads in UK | Cl...
- Buy Counterfeit EURO & DOLLAR NOTES ,UK birth certificate, work permits,travel documents, id 23-09-2014 @ 23:05
- Buy Counterfeit EURO & DOLLAR NOTES ,UK birth certificate, work permits,travel documents, id's(email@example.com) Buy Real Genuine data base Registered and Fake Passport, Drivers li...
- work experience 23-09-2014 @ 16:14
- I am full time student and i am in my second year at university doing Bachelor of Housing and i have a diploma in Architectural Design, but the one thing am really looking forward to is work expe...
- Many US law firms now have offices in the UK and offer training contracts and vacation schemes to talented students and graduates on this side of the pond. If you complete a training contract or...
- Choosing a Law Firm 09-04-2014 @ 12:36
- The legal market is big, tough and very competitive. There are many levels and varieties of law firms running in the market today and with detailed research and a clear idea of one’s own pr...
- Can I get a training contract with a 2:2? 09-04-2014 @ 12:30
- It’s the question we’re perennially asked on our AllAboutLaw Facebook fan page, is it possible to get a training contract with a 2:2? Before jumping in, if you're looking for...
- Training Contract Covering Letter 09-04-2014 @ 12:29
- Finding a training contract is hard enough without a bad covering letter letting you down. You might think your CV is the star of the show, but without a good supporting act, your application wil...
- Paramount California University Ranking 30-09-2014 @ 18:07
- Online Education Growing in Saudi Arabia This last July Saudi Arabia’s Ministry of Labor joined together with the American-based educational corporation edX to create an in......
- Laserpointer Beleuchtung ein Spiel, sollten mit Vorsicht verwendet werden 30-09-2014 @ 09:59
- Laserpointer Beleuchtung ein Spiel, sollten mit Vorsicht verwendet werden Mit den Laserpointer Ballons ausgerichtet, bald platzen Ballon. Mit dem Laser-Pointer Streichholzkopf ausgerichtet ist, ......
- Use F3-G scanner detection component control test executive components 30-09-2014 @ 08:45
- Take F3-G auto diagnostic tool as an example: 【Component Control Test】 used for testing whether electronic control executive components and their circuit action are ......
- How to use f3-d scanner solve Man Engine poor acceleration 30-09-2014 @ 08:42
- MAN Vehicle mode: MAN Date of manufacture: June, 2000 Driving : 645201KM VIN:WMAT31ZZZYM303495 Fault phenomenon: This vehicle dirving powerless, engine unable to accelerate, EDC light on. Fault d......
- Dairy Crest buys milk firm out of administration, ... 14-03-2013 @ 10:21
- Dairy Crest has bought specialist milk business Proper Welsh Milk out of administration, saving 40 jobs....
- Applications for £120m Govt funding pot open in s... 14-03-2013 @ 10:21
- The money is being made available through the Government’s Advanced Manufacturing Supply Chain Initiative to support research and development, skills training and capital investment in th...
- High Street fund 'barely touched'... 14-03-2013 @ 10:20
- A £10m government fund set up a year ago to help bring empty shops back into use has barely been touched, according to Freedom of Information requests seen by the BBC....