All About UsAllAboutCareers is a social careers information website for everyone who wants to find out more about graduate schemes, apprenticeships, internships and other job-related shenanigans.
- Job Description
- Salary & Benefits
- Working Hours & Other Details
- Entry Route & Requirements
- Training & Progress
Visual merchandisers are in charge of creating attractive visual displays in retail outlets. These guys make shops look the way they do, using their creativity to enhance the aesthetic appeal of window displays, walkways, counters and in-store displays.
The main objective of visual merchandising is to increase sales and buyer attention, capitalising on the human tendency to ‘window-shop’. Displays are frequently changed to promote new product launches and reflect festive or seasonal themes, such as Christmas, spring or summer.
Most visual merchandisers are employed by retail chains and large department stores, such as Marks & Spencer, Topshop and Harrods. Some are employed by agencies that provide contract services to various clients who do not have an in-house team. Other employers include promotions and event management companies.
If you enter this profession, you’ll be creating sketches of visual displays based on the requirements set by your client’s store management department. Once these preliminary designs have been approved, you’ll be finalising the design and creating detailed floor plans. Following this design process, you’ll be sourcing the necessary props, materials and accessories required to bring the designs to life.
Sometimes you may be responsible for actively setting up the displays, but other times you will simply be responsible for supervising the staff tasked with turning your creative designs into a reality. Furthermore, you’ll be working to ensure the uniformity of displays across multiple store locations.
Throughout all these processes, you will frequently be liaising with other retail professionals, such as buyers, marketing executives and retail merchandisers, to make sure each and every store has the right visual impact.
Search for visual merchandiser jobs and other opportunities on our jobs board now.
Salary & Benefits
Annual salaries for entry-level visual merchandisers range between £16,000 and £20,000.
Senior professionals with plenty of experience and managerial responsibilities can earn anywhere between £25,000 and £65,000 per annum.
Senior-level managers employed by large, national and international retailers tend to earn salaries at the higher end of this scale.
Working Hours & Other Details
Although design, conceptualisation and planning work is completed during regular working hours, the actual installation of displays is carried out after stores have closed to the public. Consequently, late evening work is common.
Visual merchandisers responsible for more than one store may need to travel across their assigned areas to plan and install the latest displays or supervise contractors hired for this purpose.
Entry Route & Requirements
The typical entry requirement for a career in visual merchandising is a degree or diploma in a subject such as graphic design, fine art, spatial design, interior design, business studies or retail management.
Furthermore, it’s essential that you gain a decent amount of work experience through internships and develop a comprehensive portfolio of relevant design work.
Training & Progress
Structured graduate training programmes are common in the retail sector, usually covering functions such as buying, merchandising, store management and sales and marketing.
There may not be a specific programme directed towards visual merchandising, but you can move into this area once the general training programme is complete and you have the necessary skills and qualifications for the job.
Alternatively, you could begin your career as an assistant visual merchandiser. Here, you would work under the supervision of a senior professional, learn the trade and develop a comprehensive portfolio of experience before branching out on your own.
Opportunities for future career progression generally involve getting promoted into a senior management role or moving laterally into a different area of retail, such as buying or retail merchandising.
Alternatively, you could become a freelance visual merchandiser and offer high-quality and innovative services to a range of different clients.
What’s going on?
- Should I go to university? 14-07-2014 @ 14:15
- hello, I was just wondering ''is it fun at university or nah'' because I really want to go but if its not fun then I wont go because it costs a lot of money and I could spend that money on someth...
- MBA in Hospital and Health Care Management 09-07-2014 @ 07:54
- If you have keen interest in management and medical both than doing MBA in hospital and health care management could be good option for your. Kohinoor Business school offers a management degree i...
- Is human resources a woman's world? 09-07-2014 @ 07:50
- Doing MBA in HR management is the first choice of every female students the reason behind this is the natural quality of women to manage the people. Another is safe and good career growth options...
- Solar Module Mounting 09-07-2014 @ 07:39
- Solar module mounting is technique to get electricity power from solar light by installing solar panels in a proper way. There is huge market of manufacturing and selling solar products. Satec en...
- Many US law firms now have offices in the UK and offer training contracts and vacation schemes to talented students and graduates on this side of the pond. If you complete a training contract or...
- Choosing a Law Firm 09-04-2014 @ 12:36
- The legal market is big, tough and very competitive. There are many levels and varieties of law firms running in the market today and with detailed research and a clear idea of one’s own pr...
- Can I get a training contract with a 2:2? 09-04-2014 @ 12:30
- It’s the question we’re perennially asked on our AllAboutLaw Facebook fan page, is it possible to get a training contract with a 2:2? Before jumping in, if you're looking for...
- Training Contract Covering Letter 09-04-2014 @ 12:29
- Finding a training contract is hard enough without a bad covering letter letting you down. You might think your CV is the star of the show, but without a good supporting act, your application wil...
- Baggies supra skytop 2 uk Manager Alan Irvine 26-07-2014 @ 09:49
- Baggies supra skytop 2 uk Manager Alan Irvine said: very happy Andre to join our team, I communicate with Rogers and I, we know each other for a long time, trust each other, he told me that ......
- Bostons asics gel noosa tri 6 mens Harvard University 26-07-2014 @ 09:41
- "Bostons asics gel noosa tri 6 mens Harvard University training camp, Lalana knee lateral collateral ligament suffered in a training crash, Liverpool's medical staff to diagnose him......
- Manchester asics gel noosa tri 8 womens United legend 26-07-2014 @ 09:32
- Manchester asics gel noosa tri 8 womens United legend Bryan Robson has recently said than Wayne Rooney, he is more optimistic about and hope that Robin van Persie in the new season as Manche......
- Royce asics gel kinsei 4 mens was injured 26-07-2014 @ 09:23
- Royce asics gel kinsei 4 mens was injured, it was once estimated that he could be out for 3 months or longer period of time. But Royce's rehabilitation at an astonishing pace, he has alr......
- Dairy Crest buys milk firm out of administration, ... 14-03-2013 @ 10:21
- Dairy Crest has bought specialist milk business Proper Welsh Milk out of administration, saving 40 jobs....
- Applications for £120m Govt funding pot open in s... 14-03-2013 @ 10:21
- The money is being made available through the Government’s Advanced Manufacturing Supply Chain Initiative to support research and development, skills training and capital investment in th...
- High Street fund 'barely touched'... 14-03-2013 @ 10:20
- A £10m government fund set up a year ago to help bring empty shops back into use has barely been touched, according to Freedom of Information requests seen by the BBC....