All About UsAllAboutCareers is a social careers information website for everyone who wants to find out more about graduate schemes, apprenticeships, internships and other job-related shenanigans.
- Job Description
- Salary & Benefits
- Working Hours & Other Details
- Entry Route & Requirements
- Training & Progress
Visual merchandisers are in charge of creating attractive visual displays in retail outlets. These guys make shops look the way they do, using their creativity to enhance the aesthetic appeal of window displays, walkways, counters and in-store displays.
The main objective of visual merchandising is to increase sales and buyer attention, capitalising on the human tendency to ‘window-shop’. Displays are frequently changed to promote new product launches and reflect festive or seasonal themes, such as Christmas, spring or summer.
Most visual merchandisers are employed by retail chains and large department stores, such as Marks & Spencer, Topshop and Harrods. Some are employed by agencies that provide contract services to various clients who do not have an in-house team. Other employers include promotions and event management companies.
If you enter this profession, you’ll be creating sketches of visual displays based on the requirements set by your client’s store management department. Once these preliminary designs have been approved, you’ll be finalising the design and creating detailed floor plans. Following this design process, you’ll be sourcing the necessary props, materials and accessories required to bring the designs to life.
Sometimes you may be responsible for actively setting up the displays, but other times you will simply be responsible for supervising the staff tasked with turning your creative designs into a reality. Furthermore, you’ll be working to ensure the uniformity of displays across multiple store locations.
Throughout all these processes, you will frequently be liaising with other retail professionals, such as buyers, marketing executives and retail merchandisers, to make sure each and every store has the right visual impact.
Search for visual merchandiser jobs and other opportunities on our jobs board now.
Salary & Benefits
Annual salaries for entry-level visual merchandisers range between £16,000 and £20,000.
Senior professionals with plenty of experience and managerial responsibilities can earn anywhere between £25,000 and £65,000 per annum.
Senior-level managers employed by large, national and international retailers tend to earn salaries at the higher end of this scale.
Working Hours & Other Details
Although design, conceptualisation and planning work is completed during regular working hours, the actual installation of displays is carried out after stores have closed to the public. Consequently, late evening work is common.
Visual merchandisers responsible for more than one store may need to travel across their assigned areas to plan and install the latest displays or supervise contractors hired for this purpose.
Entry Route & Requirements
The typical entry requirement for a career in visual merchandising is a degree or diploma in a subject such as graphic design, fine art, spatial design, interior design, business studies or retail management.
Furthermore, it’s essential that you gain a decent amount of work experience through internships and develop a comprehensive portfolio of relevant design work.
Training & Progress
Structured graduate training programmes are common in the retail sector, usually covering functions such as buying, merchandising, store management and sales and marketing.
There may not be a specific programme directed towards visual merchandising, but you can move into this area once the general training programme is complete and you have the necessary skills and qualifications for the job.
Alternatively, you could begin your career as an assistant visual merchandiser. Here, you would work under the supervision of a senior professional, learn the trade and develop a comprehensive portfolio of experience before branching out on your own.
Opportunities for future career progression generally involve getting promoted into a senior management role or moving laterally into a different area of retail, such as buying or retail merchandising.
Alternatively, you could become a freelance visual merchandiser and offer high-quality and innovative services to a range of different clients.
What’s going on?
- ERASMUS STUDENTS 2013-14 improve your Spanish whilst you study! 18-04-2014 @ 08:40
- Nice work by the author of this! Amy ...
- How MBA Programmes creating future leader 03-04-2014 @ 06:46
- Really interested in learning more about marketing & promoting myself more effectively thank your time...
- How to Become a Mortgage Broker? 24-03-2014 @ 04:54
- Spontaneous marketing skills , ability to deal with different circumstances , self confidence are the basic qualities a mortgage broker( http://www.northwoodmortgage.com/careers ) should have. If...
- Am I a right candidate ? 24-03-2014 @ 04:31
- If you are well versed in marketing skills , have a passion for lifelong learning , have good communication skills and self confidence boost in you then you have a bright future as a "Mortgage B...
- Many US law firms now have offices in the UK and offer training contracts and vacation schemes to talented students and graduates on this side of the pond. If you complete a training contract or...
- Choosing a Law Firm 09-04-2014 @ 12:36
- The legal market is big, tough and very competitive. There are many levels and varieties of law firms running in the market today and with detailed research and a clear idea of one’s own pr...
- Can I get a training contract with a 2:2? 09-04-2014 @ 12:30
- It’s the question we’re perennially asked on our AllAboutLaw Facebook fan page, is it possible to get a training contract with a 2:2? Before jumping in, if you're looking for...
- Training Contract Covering Letter 09-04-2014 @ 12:29
- Finding a training contract is hard enough without a bad covering letter letting you down. You might think your CV is the star of the show, but without a good supporting act, your application wil...
- Specialized Written Work 16-04-2014 @ 20:53
- Utilizing proficient specialized written work administrations will transform present and future profits to your venture in a mixed bag of ways: • Instead of utilizing your master representa......
- Content Writing Services 16-04-2014 @ 20:49
- Why Hire Content Writing Services? Fantastic substance is key for a Web website. In the event that you need to rank in Google or Bing for significant pursuit terms, you have to have content that......
- How To Write A Superb Economics Assignment 16-04-2014 @ 11:03
- Without any doubt it is true to say that economic is a boring subject. And this is a reason why student faces a number of hurdles while writing their economic assignment. Mostly professors assign......
- I do not know that he is not willing to do. 10-04-2014 @ 02:45
- I do not know that he is not willing to do. About BarcelonaLet me give my team a lot of videos of Barcelona, but not the way they play, but the way they celebrate. They went into the countless ba......
- Dairy Crest buys milk firm out of administration, ... 14-03-2013 @ 10:21
- Dairy Crest has bought specialist milk business Proper Welsh Milk out of administration, saving 40 jobs....
- Applications for £120m Govt funding pot open in s... 14-03-2013 @ 10:21
- The money is being made available through the Government’s Advanced Manufacturing Supply Chain Initiative to support research and development, skills training and capital investment in th...
- High Street fund 'barely touched'... 14-03-2013 @ 10:20
- A £10m government fund set up a year ago to help bring empty shops back into use has barely been touched, according to Freedom of Information requests seen by the BBC....