All About UsAllAboutCareers is a social careers information website for everyone who wants to find out more about graduate schemes, apprenticeships, internships and other job-related shenanigans.
- Job Description
- Salary & Benefits
- Working Hours & Other Details
- Entry Route & Requirements
- Training & Progress
Telecommunications engineers use their technical expertise to provide a range of services and engineering solutions revolving around different modes of communication and information transfer, such as wireless telephony services, radio and satellite communications, internet and broadband technologies.
Most of the work is carried out on a project basis with tight deadlines and well-defined milestones for the delivery of project objectives. Telecommunications engineers are involved across all aspects of service delivery, from carrying out feasibility exercises and determining connectivity to preparing detailed, technical and operational documentation.
Telecommunications engineers are usually employed by telecom service providers, equipment and infrastructure manufacturers, communications software developers, public sector bodies and transport organisations.
Salary & Benefits
Entry-level telecommunications engineers tend to earn between £20,000 and £30,000 per annum.
Incorporated engineers earn around £30,000 to £50,000, and chartered engineers earn around £40,000 to £70,000 depending on their level of experience.
Working Hours & Other Details
Telecommunications engineers tend to work nine-to-five. However, in order to meet project delivery targets, you may be required to work extra hours from time to time. Travel across the country may also be required, typically on site surveys and periodic inspections.
Entry Route & Requirements
An undergraduate or postgraduate degree in telecommunications, electronic engineering, computer science, physics, I.T. or another technical subject tends to be the minimum academic requirement. However, you might be able to enter this profession as a lower-level technician via an apprenticeship scheme or with another vocational qualification.
Your degree should ideally be supplemented with work experience placements, in addition to proven analytical, technical and problem-solving skills, to ensure that your CV stands out amongst the tons received by prospective employers.
Training & Progress
Many employers offer structured graduate training programmes, which last between 12 and 24 months. These schemes combine formal training sessions with opportunities to gain hands-on experience across a range of crucial functions.
It’s also likely that your employer will support you through the completion of relevant professional qualifications to become a chartered engineer. They may also sponsor you to complete industry-standard technology certifications.
Career progression is driven by performance, professional experience and expertise. Once you have become a chartered engineer, you may progress into a managerial role within three to five years.
What’s going on?
- Is executive MBA a good option ? 26-09-2014 @ 23:08
- Yes of course this is the best option just go for it. Free classifieds ads websites | online advertising UK...
- Where can I get work experience? 26-09-2014 @ 23:00
- This is so beginner question how ever you can get experience with doing job at any reputable firm where the work burden should be higher. Free classifieds ads websites | Post free ads in UK | Cl...
- Buy Counterfeit EURO & DOLLAR NOTES ,UK birth certificate, work permits,travel documents, id 23-09-2014 @ 23:05
- Buy Counterfeit EURO & DOLLAR NOTES ,UK birth certificate, work permits,travel documents, id's(firstname.lastname@example.org) Buy Real Genuine data base Registered and Fake Passport, Drivers li...
- work experience 23-09-2014 @ 16:14
- I am full time student and i am in my second year at university doing Bachelor of Housing and i have a diploma in Architectural Design, but the one thing am really looking forward to is work expe...
- Many US law firms now have offices in the UK and offer training contracts and vacation schemes to talented students and graduates on this side of the pond. If you complete a training contract or...
- Choosing a Law Firm 09-04-2014 @ 12:36
- The legal market is big, tough and very competitive. There are many levels and varieties of law firms running in the market today and with detailed research and a clear idea of one’s own pr...
- Can I get a training contract with a 2:2? 09-04-2014 @ 12:30
- It’s the question we’re perennially asked on our AllAboutLaw Facebook fan page, is it possible to get a training contract with a 2:2? Before jumping in, if you're looking for...
- Training Contract Covering Letter 09-04-2014 @ 12:29
- Finding a training contract is hard enough without a bad covering letter letting you down. You might think your CV is the star of the show, but without a good supporting act, your application wil...
- Apres que adidas jeremy scott pas cher les sources syndicales dit 01-10-2014 @ 10:43
- Après que adidas jeremy scott pas cher les sources syndicales dit le peuple de ses stats seulement 4 NBA2K a atteint 90 points, Durant, dont 95 %. Journaliste d'ESPN que Marc Ster......
- Si chevalier asics gel excel 33 femme assez dur 01-10-2014 @ 10:41
- Si chevalier asics gel excel 33 femme assez dur, il aurait trouvé la seconde moitié de la dernière saison filets jeux vidéo assidûment : Kidd, puis encore e......
- Former le banc nike free run 3 homme de 01-10-2014 @ 10:40
- Former le banc nike free run 3 homme de pénalité tardive, manger faute technique balle a frappé les fans, adversaire de boxe banni, Miss 30 jeux, tir 40,7 %...... Entra&......
- Hansen est nike roshe run pas cher devenu le centre 01-10-2014 @ 10:39
- Hansen est nike roshe run pas cher devenu le centre de départ, faire de la nouvelle saison Sanders gagner aussi haut que 11 millions, classant les chefs d'équipe ? Traiteme......
- Dairy Crest buys milk firm out of administration, ... 14-03-2013 @ 10:21
- Dairy Crest has bought specialist milk business Proper Welsh Milk out of administration, saving 40 jobs....
- Applications for £120m Govt funding pot open in s... 14-03-2013 @ 10:21
- The money is being made available through the Government’s Advanced Manufacturing Supply Chain Initiative to support research and development, skills training and capital investment in th...
- High Street fund 'barely touched'... 14-03-2013 @ 10:20
- A £10m government fund set up a year ago to help bring empty shops back into use has barely been touched, according to Freedom of Information requests seen by the BBC....