All About UsAllAboutCareers is a social careers information website for everyone who wants to find out more about graduate schemes, apprenticeships, internships and other job-related shenanigans.
- Job Description
- Salary & Benefits
- Working Hours & Other Details
- Entry Route & Requirements
- Training & Progress
Working as a team leader is all about organisation, delegation, management and performance monitoring. Effectively, you could work as a team leader in any industry. After all, every single team of employees needs a shove in the right direction from time to time.
Team leaders oversee projects and supervise the day-to-day operations of their team, making sure everyone is pulling their weight, distributing the workload evenly and making sure motivation and performance levels are maintained.
Whilst many team leaders may occasionally get stuck in alongside the rest of the team, the core part of their job is all about coordinating the team, delegating tasks and managing junior personnel.
Traditionally, this lot are lower down in the organisational hierarchy than project managers, programme managers and managing directors. These guys are middle managers who deal with the day-to-day operational aspects of team management, training and development, rather than high-level strategy and administration.
Team leaders will occasionally have administrative tasks and report writing duties, but mainly they are employed to act as motivators, supervisors and mentors. It’s a team leader’s duty to guide the team’s vision and ensure that everything goes according to plan.
Salary & Benefits
Team leaders can earn anywhere between £16,000 and £42,000 per annum. Understandably, though, a team leader’s salary completely depends on the industry they work in and the size of the team they are leading.
Working Hours & Other Details
Your working hours will entirely depend on what industry you choose to enter, but in most business environments you will work between 35 and 40 hours per week.
Entry Route & Requirements
To become a team leader, you don’t necessarily need a degree. You could theoretically work your way up the career ladder from a low-level administrative position.
However, if you’d like to fast-track your way into a team leader role, it’d be a good idea to obtain a strong undergraduate degree (2:2 minimum) in any discipline. Studying a business-related course, such as business studies, management studies or marketing, might also improve your chances of being promoted into a team leader role more quickly.
Other than that, it’d be advisable for you to gain lots of work experience in team-based environments. After all, to know how to effectively manage a team, you need to have been a part of one yourself. Moreover, you’ll need to be a confident communicator with fantastic organisational skills.
Training & Progress
The majority of your training and development will be done ‘on-the-job’. However, you could improve your management credentials and earning potential by studying courses which are offered by organisations, such as the Institute of Leadership and Management, or the Chartered Management Institute. Some larger organisations may also give you the opportunity to develop your managerial skills during in-house training sessions.
Once you’ve established yourself as a team leader, the only way is up! As you progress through the managerial ranks, you will most likely take a step back from direct team management and focus more on top-level strategy and business decision making. You could eventually become a project manager, a programme manager, a managing director and beyond.
What’s going on?
- How MBA Programmes creating future leader 03-04-2014 @ 06:46
- Really interested in learning more about marketing & promoting myself more effectively thank your time...
- How to Become a Mortgage Broker? 24-03-2014 @ 04:54
- Spontaneous marketing skills , ability to deal with different circumstances , self confidence are the basic qualities a mortgage broker( http://www.northwoodmortgage.com/careers ) should have. If...
- Am I a right candidate ? 24-03-2014 @ 04:31
- If you are well versed in marketing skills , have a passion for lifelong learning , have good communication skills and self confidence boost in you then you have a bright future as a "Mortgage B...
- Am I a right candidate ? 24-03-2014 @ 04:22
- If you are well versed in marketing skills , have a passion for lifelong learning , have good communication skills and self confidence boost in you then you have . But these are just basic quali...
- Many US law firms now have offices in the UK and offer training contracts and vacation schemes to talented students and graduates on this side of the pond. If you complete a training contract or...
- Choosing a Law Firm 09-04-2014 @ 12:36
- The legal market is big, tough and very competitive. There are many levels and varieties of law firms running in the market today and with detailed research and a clear idea of one’s own pr...
- Can I get a training contract with a 2:2? 09-04-2014 @ 12:30
- It’s the question we’re perennially asked on our AllAboutLaw Facebook fan page, is it possible to get a training contract with a 2:2? Before jumping in, if you're looking for...
- Training Contract Covering Letter 09-04-2014 @ 12:29
- Finding a training contract is hard enough without a bad covering letter letting you down. You might think your CV is the star of the show, but without a good supporting act, your application wil...
- Specialized Written Work 16-04-2014 @ 20:53
- Utilizing proficient specialized written work administrations will transform present and future profits to your venture in a mixed bag of ways: • Instead of utilizing your master representa......
- Content Writing Services 16-04-2014 @ 20:49
- Why Hire Content Writing Services? Fantastic substance is key for a Web website. In the event that you need to rank in Google or Bing for significant pursuit terms, you have to have content that......
- How To Write A Superb Economics Assignment 16-04-2014 @ 11:03
- Without any doubt it is true to say that economic is a boring subject. And this is a reason why student faces a number of hurdles while writing their economic assignment. Mostly professors assign......
- I do not know that he is not willing to do. 10-04-2014 @ 02:45
- I do not know that he is not willing to do. About BarcelonaLet me give my team a lot of videos of Barcelona, but not the way they play, but the way they celebrate. They went into the countless ba......
- Dairy Crest buys milk firm out of administration, ... 14-03-2013 @ 10:21
- Dairy Crest has bought specialist milk business Proper Welsh Milk out of administration, saving 40 jobs....
- Applications for £120m Govt funding pot open in s... 14-03-2013 @ 10:21
- The money is being made available through the Government’s Advanced Manufacturing Supply Chain Initiative to support research and development, skills training and capital investment in th...
- High Street fund 'barely touched'... 14-03-2013 @ 10:20
- A £10m government fund set up a year ago to help bring empty shops back into use has barely been touched, according to Freedom of Information requests seen by the BBC....