All About UsAllAboutCareers is a social careers information website for everyone who wants to find out more about graduate schemes, apprenticeships, internships and other job-related shenanigans.
- Job Description
- Salary & Benefits
- Working Hours & Other Details
- Entry Route & Requirements
- Training & Progress
Working as a team leader is all about organisation, delegation, management and performance monitoring. Effectively, you could work as a team leader in any industry. After all, every single team of employees needs a shove in the right direction from time to time.
Team leaders oversee projects and supervise the day-to-day operations of their team, making sure everyone is pulling their weight, distributing the workload evenly and making sure motivation and performance levels are maintained.
Whilst many team leaders may occasionally get stuck in alongside the rest of the team, the core part of their job is all about coordinating the team, delegating tasks and managing junior personnel.
Traditionally, this lot are lower down in the organisational hierarchy than project managers, programme managers and managing directors. These guys are middle managers who deal with the day-to-day operational aspects of team management, training and development, rather than high-level strategy and administration.
Team leaders will occasionally have administrative tasks and report writing duties, but mainly they are employed to act as motivators, supervisors and mentors. It’s a team leader’s duty to guide the team’s vision and ensure that everything goes according to plan.
Salary & Benefits
Team leaders can earn anywhere between £16,000 and £42,000 per annum. Understandably, though, a team leader’s salary completely depends on the industry they work in and the size of the team they are leading.
Working Hours & Other Details
Your working hours will entirely depend on what industry you choose to enter, but in most business environments you will work between 35 and 40 hours per week.
Entry Route & Requirements
To become a team leader, you don’t necessarily need a degree. You could theoretically work your way up the career ladder from a low-level administrative position.
However, if you’d like to fast-track your way into a team leader role, it’d be a good idea to obtain a strong undergraduate degree (2:2 minimum) in any discipline. Studying a business-related course, such as business studies, management studies or marketing, might also improve your chances of being promoted into a team leader role more quickly.
Other than that, it’d be advisable for you to gain lots of work experience in team-based environments. After all, to know how to effectively manage a team, you need to have been a part of one yourself. Moreover, you’ll need to be a confident communicator with fantastic organisational skills.
Training & Progress
The majority of your training and development will be done ‘on-the-job’. However, you could improve your management credentials and earning potential by studying courses which are offered by organisations, such as the Institute of Leadership and Management, or the Chartered Management Institute. Some larger organisations may also give you the opportunity to develop your managerial skills during in-house training sessions.
Once you’ve established yourself as a team leader, the only way is up! As you progress through the managerial ranks, you will most likely take a step back from direct team management and focus more on top-level strategy and business decision making. You could eventually become a project manager, a programme manager, a managing director and beyond.
What’s going on?
- Sports Graduates - we need your help! 11-03-2014 @ 14:29
- The University of Gloucestershire is running an European Commission-funded project to investigate sports graduate perceptions of employability. Your opinions will help us develop tool kits that p...
- Where can I get work experience? 05-03-2014 @ 19:37
- The SEO article composing administrations will likewise be overall educated about the time it takes for a task to be finished. They will accordingly furnish you with a genuine evaluation of the t...
- Should I apply an international internship in NSC 28-02-2014 @ 23:49
- Very good information .... Thanks guy... _____________________________ ProPapersWriting...
- Legal Director 19-02-2014 @ 12:56
- ROLE PURPOSE To act as one of a team of Legal Directors, working in close collaboration with both the Office of the General Counsel and relevant directorate and project teams, to lead the delive...
- Traditionally, front office staff are the folks in contact with the consumers or clients, whilst the back office staff are the people behind-the-scenes working in administrative or support roles....
- A Day in the Life of a Chartered Architectural Technologist 25-02-2013 @ 15:44
- My typical working week… As a Chartered Architectural Technologist (MCIAT), I will always have a varied day. I work a standard working week. My hours are 9am til 5.30pm, but I tend to...
- National Audit Office’s School Leaver Scheme: My Experience 14-02-2013 @ 17:26
- Accountancy school leavers’ programme or university? It was in my final year of college that I decided that I wanted to pursue a career in accountancy. I looked in to the options avai...
- Accountancy: Payroll Career Paths 14-02-2013 @ 11:22
- Accountancy is an incredibly varied profession with a large number of different roles available within the industry. Payroll is increasingly important for businesses; the majority of companies ...
- E-keeping money (Online Banking) and Its part in Today's Society 10-03-2014 @ 19:32
- The world is changing at a stunning rate and engineering is acknowledged to be the key driver for these progressions aroundus (Papers4you.com, 2006). An investigation of innovation and its uses d......
- What Is Thesis Theme 10-03-2014 @ 18:14
- in the event that you have an online journal website and you need to upgrade it or provide for it a cosmetic touch upregarding colors and fonts, then you will probably utilize the least difficult......
- The most effective method to Make Your Dissertation an Enjoyable Read 08-03-2014 @ 20:48
- Composing scholastic assignments isn't the most energizing point you will ever go over! In any case, your thesis does not have to be a "dry" read. Firstly, it is significant that y......
- Paper Writing Tips - 6 Steps to Writing a Great Essay 08-03-2014 @ 19:10
- Assuming that written work an exposition would appear to be an overwhelming background, then figuring out how to separate the methodology into various simple steps will provide for you the certai......
- Dairy Crest buys milk firm out of administration, ... 14-03-2013 @ 10:21
- Dairy Crest has bought specialist milk business Proper Welsh Milk out of administration, saving 40 jobs....
- Applications for £120m Govt funding pot open in s... 14-03-2013 @ 10:21
- The money is being made available through the Government’s Advanced Manufacturing Supply Chain Initiative to support research and development, skills training and capital investment in th...
- High Street fund 'barely touched'... 14-03-2013 @ 10:20
- A £10m government fund set up a year ago to help bring empty shops back into use has barely been touched, according to Freedom of Information requests seen by the BBC....