All About UsAllAboutCareers is a social careers information website for everyone who wants to find out more about graduate schemes, apprenticeships, internships and other job-related shenanigans.
- Job Description
- Salary & Benefits
- Working Hours & Other Details
- Entry Route & Requirements
- Training & Progress
Working as a team leader is all about organisation, delegation, management and performance monitoring. Effectively, you could work as a team leader in any industry. After all, every single team of employees needs a shove in the right direction from time to time.
Team leaders oversee projects and supervise the day-to-day operations of their team, making sure everyone is pulling their weight, distributing the workload evenly and making sure motivation and performance levels are maintained.
Whilst many team leaders may occasionally get stuck in alongside the rest of the team, the core part of their job is all about coordinating the team, delegating tasks and managing junior personnel.
Traditionally, this lot are lower down in the organisational hierarchy than project managers, programme managers and managing directors. These guys are middle managers who deal with the day-to-day operational aspects of team management, training and development, rather than high-level strategy and administration.
Team leaders will occasionally have administrative tasks and report writing duties, but mainly they are employed to act as motivators, supervisors and mentors. It’s a team leader’s duty to guide the team’s vision and ensure that everything goes according to plan.
Salary & Benefits
Team leaders can earn anywhere between £16,000 and £42,000 per annum. Understandably, though, a team leader’s salary completely depends on the industry they work in and the size of the team they are leading.
Working Hours & Other Details
Your working hours will entirely depend on what industry you choose to enter, but in most business environments you will work between 35 and 40 hours per week.
Entry Route & Requirements
To become a team leader, you don’t necessarily need a degree. You could theoretically work your way up the career ladder from a low-level administrative position.
However, if you’d like to fast-track your way into a team leader role, it’d be a good idea to obtain a strong undergraduate degree (2:2 minimum) in any discipline. Studying a business-related course, such as business studies, management studies or marketing, might also improve your chances of being promoted into a team leader role more quickly.
Other than that, it’d be advisable for you to gain lots of work experience in team-based environments. After all, to know how to effectively manage a team, you need to have been a part of one yourself. Moreover, you’ll need to be a confident communicator with fantastic organisational skills.
Training & Progress
The majority of your training and development will be done ‘on-the-job’. However, you could improve your management credentials and earning potential by studying courses which are offered by organisations, such as the Institute of Leadership and Management, or the Chartered Management Institute. Some larger organisations may also give you the opportunity to develop your managerial skills during in-house training sessions.
Once you’ve established yourself as a team leader, the only way is up! As you progress through the managerial ranks, you will most likely take a step back from direct team management and focus more on top-level strategy and business decision making. You could eventually become a project manager, a programme manager, a managing director and beyond.
What’s going on?
- Man Utd or Man City?! 19-11-2013 @ 20:10
- Man Utd!!!...
- Man Utd or Man City?! 18-11-2013 @ 12:03
- wrong forum mate ;) ...
- Investment Banking Career Path 31-10-2013 @ 12:36
- What is the minimum qualification for joining investment banking course.Can you please suggest some good institute for financial analysis or banking certification courses....
- Career as investment Banker 30-10-2013 @ 10:23
- As Banking sector is on boom so there is great scope to choose your career in investment banking sector.You can expect high salary as an investment banker....
- Traditionally, front office staff are the folks in contact with the consumers or clients, whilst the back office staff are the people behind-the-scenes working in administrative or support roles....
- A Day in the Life of a Chartered Architectural Technologist 25-02-2013 @ 15:44
- My typical working week… As a Chartered Architectural Technologist (MCIAT), I will always have a varied day. I work a standard working week. My hours are 9am til 5.30pm, but I tend to...
- National Audit Office’s School Leaver Scheme: My Experience 14-02-2013 @ 17:26
- Accountancy school leavers’ programme or university? It was in my final year of college that I decided that I wanted to pursue a career in accountancy. I looked in to the options avai...
- Accountancy: Payroll Career Paths 14-02-2013 @ 11:22
- Accountancy is an incredibly varied profession with a large number of different roles available within the industry. Payroll is increasingly important for businesses; the majority of companies ...
- 5 Little Known Ways To Proofread Your Own Document 05-12-2013 @ 12:41
- Proofreading is one of the most important steps of writing in which you will have to read your write out from top to bottom and find the errors or mistakes that you may have left in it. There are......
- Which path? 05-12-2013 @ 11:41
- Please could you offer me some advice regarding my career path in Civil Engineering. I am currently working at Gatwick Airport as a newly promoted Senior Site Agent for the main maintanence fram......
- Stand Out Among The Rest With An Impressive Personal Statement! 05-12-2013 @ 08:09
- Unlike a CV or cover letter, Personal statement outlines the skills and experiences that define you as a professional and establish a connection with your future job. To know the ways you can m......
- How to Prepare Yourself for an Interview 03-12-2013 @ 11:23
- The interview is a crucial aspect of getting a job. Whatever you plan for your interview will have an impact on your selection or rejection of the job. Therefore, it is required that you do your ......
- Dairy Crest buys milk firm out of administration, ... 14-03-2013 @ 10:21
- Dairy Crest has bought specialist milk business Proper Welsh Milk out of administration, saving 40 jobs....
- Applications for £120m Govt funding pot open in s... 14-03-2013 @ 10:21
- The money is being made available through the Government’s Advanced Manufacturing Supply Chain Initiative to support research and development, skills training and capital investment in th...
- High Street fund 'barely touched'... 14-03-2013 @ 10:20
- A £10m government fund set up a year ago to help bring empty shops back into use has barely been touched, according to Freedom of Information requests seen by the BBC....