All About UsAllAboutCareers is a social careers information website for everyone who wants to find out more about graduate schemes, apprenticeships, internships and other job-related shenanigans.
- Job Description
- Salary & Benefits
- Working Hours & Other Details
- Entry Route & Requirements
- Training & Progress
Working as a team leader is all about organisation, delegation, management and performance monitoring. Effectively, you could work as a team leader in any industry. After all, every single team of employees needs a shove in the right direction from time to time.
Team leaders oversee projects and supervise the day-to-day operations of their team, making sure everyone is pulling their weight, distributing the workload evenly and making sure motivation and performance levels are maintained.
Whilst many team leaders may occasionally get stuck in alongside the rest of the team, the core part of their job is all about coordinating the team, delegating tasks and managing junior personnel.
Traditionally, this lot are lower down in the organisational hierarchy than project managers, programme managers and managing directors. These guys are middle managers who deal with the day-to-day operational aspects of team management, training and development, rather than high-level strategy and administration.
Team leaders will occasionally have administrative tasks and report writing duties, but mainly they are employed to act as motivators, supervisors and mentors. It’s a team leader’s duty to guide the team’s vision and ensure that everything goes according to plan.
Salary & Benefits
Team leaders can earn anywhere between £16,000 and £42,000 per annum. Understandably, though, a team leader’s salary completely depends on the industry they work in and the size of the team they are leading.
Working Hours & Other Details
Your working hours will entirely depend on what industry you choose to enter, but in most business environments you will work between 35 and 40 hours per week.
Entry Route & Requirements
To become a team leader, you don’t necessarily need a degree. You could theoretically work your way up the career ladder from a low-level administrative position.
However, if you’d like to fast-track your way into a team leader role, it’d be a good idea to obtain a strong undergraduate degree (2:2 minimum) in any discipline. Studying a business-related course, such as business studies, management studies or marketing, might also improve your chances of being promoted into a team leader role more quickly.
Other than that, it’d be advisable for you to gain lots of work experience in team-based environments. After all, to know how to effectively manage a team, you need to have been a part of one yourself. Moreover, you’ll need to be a confident communicator with fantastic organisational skills.
Training & Progress
The majority of your training and development will be done ‘on-the-job’. However, you could improve your management credentials and earning potential by studying courses which are offered by organisations, such as the Institute of Leadership and Management, or the Chartered Management Institute. Some larger organisations may also give you the opportunity to develop your managerial skills during in-house training sessions.
Once you’ve established yourself as a team leader, the only way is up! As you progress through the managerial ranks, you will most likely take a step back from direct team management and focus more on top-level strategy and business decision making. You could eventually become a project manager, a programme manager, a managing director and beyond.
What’s going on?
- Should I apply an international internship in NSC 17-10-2014 @ 12:27
- thats a good idea .. and what is it that you do ?? ...
- Should I apply an international internship in NSC 17-10-2014 @ 11:54
- its a good thing to do an internship right after your graduation.it will be beneficial for your career don't think about the industry just try to learn something first then go for the big names.p...
- Should I apply an international internship in NSC 17-10-2014 @ 08:38
- Same is over here that this is really very nice post. Keep up the awesome work. Thanks for sharing your great work and letting me to say about it. custom research papers...
- BUY REAL AND FAKE PASSPORT,VISA,ID,DL ETC.(email@example.com) 11-10-2014 @ 10:21
- Best Quality Novelty Fake IDs and Passports (firstname.lastname@example.org) Best Quality Novelty Fake IDs and Passports, Marriage certificates and Drivers license etc buy now high quality-We have the b...
- Many US law firms now have offices in the UK and offer training contracts and vacation schemes to talented students and graduates on this side of the pond. If you complete a training contract or...
- Choosing a Law Firm 09-04-2014 @ 12:36
- The legal market is big, tough and very competitive. There are many levels and varieties of law firms running in the market today and with detailed research and a clear idea of one’s own pr...
- Can I get a training contract with a 2:2? 09-04-2014 @ 12:30
- It’s the question we’re perennially asked on our AllAboutLaw Facebook fan page, is it possible to get a training contract with a 2:2? Before jumping in, if you're looking for...
- Training Contract Covering Letter 09-04-2014 @ 12:29
- Finding a training contract is hard enough without a bad covering letter letting you down. You might think your CV is the star of the show, but without a good supporting act, your application wil...
- Green Tea Weight Loss * How Can I Lose Weight 23-10-2014 @ 17:45
- You do not have being realistic, when you are setting goals on your own. Let your creativity go outrageous and dream how you want to look. Perhaps you have a specific an affiliate mind, you want ......
- In Need Of Some Tips On New Homes For Sale 23-10-2014 @ 14:38
- Preparing to buy a house can take a long time. At times, you have grown towards the routine and don't know when you stop. In the event that for example you've got looked at Lubbock real-e......
- Luxury Accommodation In Connection With Pet Friendly Accommodation 23-10-2014 @ 12:14
- If you would like to learn more about accommodation within Broome WA , e mail us. We offer a selection of accommodation options such as rooms, fits and rentals. Our helpful staff could be delight......
- Why an early education is fairly essentialand how to arrange for it? 23-10-2014 @ 11:14
- It is certainly true that an early education is mandatory.Presently we all realize that education is the most essential thing for everybody, nowadaysas an extremely advanced changes going on in r......
- Dairy Crest buys milk firm out of administration, ... 14-03-2013 @ 10:21
- Dairy Crest has bought specialist milk business Proper Welsh Milk out of administration, saving 40 jobs....
- Applications for £120m Govt funding pot open in s... 14-03-2013 @ 10:21
- The money is being made available through the Government’s Advanced Manufacturing Supply Chain Initiative to support research and development, skills training and capital investment in th...
- High Street fund 'barely touched'... 14-03-2013 @ 10:20
- A £10m government fund set up a year ago to help bring empty shops back into use has barely been touched, according to Freedom of Information requests seen by the BBC....