All About UsAllAboutCareers is a social careers information website for everyone who wants to find out more about graduate schemes, apprenticeships, internships and other job-related shenanigans.
- Job Description
- Salary & Benefits
- Working Hours & Other Details
- Entry Route & Requirements
- Training & Progress
There are more than 1.8 million people in the UK working as retail assistants. These are the people working in the shops, helping out customers, manning the tills and restocking shelves. They might be working for big supermarkets, local shops, market stalls, clothes shops or specialised shops.
A sales assistant will probably be responsible for checking stock items and ordering goods, receiving and storing deliveries, restocking shelves and making sure that the shop looks tidy and the goods are well presented. They might also be involved with changing the layout and visual displays and cleaning the sales areas.
A good sales assistant will know their stock inside out, help customers find exactly what they need and offer specialised advice. They’ll be experts at hand selling, promoting special offers and dealing with customer complaints.
The nature of sales assistants’ responsibilities will vary from shop to shop. Some will require sales assistants to have detailed product knowledge, such as mobile phone shops or music shops, whilst small shops might require sales assistants to handle a range of duties, from ordering stock to arranging shop window displays.
For luxury goods shops, the emphasis will be on hand selling and having a highly professional demeanour.
Salary & Benefits
Most sales assistants starting out will be paid the national minimum wage.
Salaries can increase with experience, while supervisors can earn around £20,000.
They might vary depending on the type of shop – for instance, high end shops which require very experienced and professional sales assistants are likely to pay more.
In some shops, sales assistants can earn commission on sales. Other perks might include bonuses and staff discounts.
Working Hours & Other Details
Full-time sales assistants will usually work a 40-hour week. Most sales assistants are likely to work weekends, and part-time work is very common, with sales assistants working a shift pattern.
Entry Route & Requirements
Happily, there are no formal academic requirements to become a sales assistant. Employers will be far more interested in your people and communication skills, but they will expect you to have a basic standard of literacy and numeracy. There are now a number of retail apprenticeship schemes too.
A good sales assistant should be friendly, personable and polite. They should be able to stay calm under pressure, deftly handle tricky customers and have a helpful and approachable manner.
Training & Progress
Sales assistants tend to learn their trade on the job. Trainees might have specialised training for particular roles, but largely they’ll be learning under the guidance of a supervisor or manager.
More experienced sales assistants can progress to supervisor or managerial roles. With larger retail shops, there might be opportunities to fast-track onto management schemes and become area managers.
Other sales assistants use their experience to give them a leg up into buying, merchandising and other retail areas.
What’s going on?
- Sports Graduates - we need your help! 11-03-2014 @ 14:29
- The University of Gloucestershire is running an European Commission-funded project to investigate sports graduate perceptions of employability. Your opinions will help us develop tool kits that p...
- Where can I get work experience? 05-03-2014 @ 19:37
- The SEO article composing administrations will likewise be overall educated about the time it takes for a task to be finished. They will accordingly furnish you with a genuine evaluation of the t...
- Should I apply an international internship in NSC 28-02-2014 @ 23:49
- Very good information .... Thanks guy... _____________________________ ProPapersWriting...
- Legal Director 19-02-2014 @ 12:56
- ROLE PURPOSE To act as one of a team of Legal Directors, working in close collaboration with both the Office of the General Counsel and relevant directorate and project teams, to lead the delive...
- Traditionally, front office staff are the folks in contact with the consumers or clients, whilst the back office staff are the people behind-the-scenes working in administrative or support roles....
- A Day in the Life of a Chartered Architectural Technologist 25-02-2013 @ 15:44
- My typical working week… As a Chartered Architectural Technologist (MCIAT), I will always have a varied day. I work a standard working week. My hours are 9am til 5.30pm, but I tend to...
- National Audit Office’s School Leaver Scheme: My Experience 14-02-2013 @ 17:26
- Accountancy school leavers’ programme or university? It was in my final year of college that I decided that I wanted to pursue a career in accountancy. I looked in to the options avai...
- Accountancy: Payroll Career Paths 14-02-2013 @ 11:22
- Accountancy is an incredibly varied profession with a large number of different roles available within the industry. Payroll is increasingly important for businesses; the majority of companies ...
- E-keeping money (Online Banking) and Its part in Today's Society 10-03-2014 @ 19:32
- The world is changing at a stunning rate and engineering is acknowledged to be the key driver for these progressions aroundus (Papers4you.com, 2006). An investigation of innovation and its uses d......
- What Is Thesis Theme 10-03-2014 @ 18:14
- in the event that you have an online journal website and you need to upgrade it or provide for it a cosmetic touch upregarding colors and fonts, then you will probably utilize the least difficult......
- The most effective method to Make Your Dissertation an Enjoyable Read 08-03-2014 @ 20:48
- Composing scholastic assignments isn't the most energizing point you will ever go over! In any case, your thesis does not have to be a "dry" read. Firstly, it is significant that y......
- Paper Writing Tips - 6 Steps to Writing a Great Essay 08-03-2014 @ 19:10
- Assuming that written work an exposition would appear to be an overwhelming background, then figuring out how to separate the methodology into various simple steps will provide for you the certai......
- Dairy Crest buys milk firm out of administration, ... 14-03-2013 @ 10:21
- Dairy Crest has bought specialist milk business Proper Welsh Milk out of administration, saving 40 jobs....
- Applications for £120m Govt funding pot open in s... 14-03-2013 @ 10:21
- The money is being made available through the Government’s Advanced Manufacturing Supply Chain Initiative to support research and development, skills training and capital investment in th...
- High Street fund 'barely touched'... 14-03-2013 @ 10:20
- A £10m government fund set up a year ago to help bring empty shops back into use has barely been touched, according to Freedom of Information requests seen by the BBC....