All About UsAllAboutCareers is a social careers information website for everyone who wants to find out more about graduate schemes, apprenticeships, internships and other job-related shenanigans.
- Job Description
- Salary & Benefits
- Working Hours & Other Details
- Entry Route & Requirements
- Training & Progress
There are more than 1.8 million people in the UK working as retail assistants. These are the people working in the shops, helping out customers, manning the tills and restocking shelves. They might be working for big supermarkets, local shops, market stalls, clothes shops or specialised shops.
A sales assistant will probably be responsible for checking stock items and ordering goods, receiving and storing deliveries, restocking shelves and making sure that the shop looks tidy and the goods are well presented. They might also be involved with changing the layout and visual displays and cleaning the sales areas.
A good sales assistant will know their stock inside out, help customers find exactly what they need and offer specialised advice. They’ll be experts at hand selling, promoting special offers and dealing with customer complaints.
The nature of sales assistants’ responsibilities will vary from shop to shop. Some will require sales assistants to have detailed product knowledge, such as mobile phone shops or music shops, whilst small shops might require sales assistants to handle a range of duties, from ordering stock to arranging shop window displays.
For luxury goods shops, the emphasis will be on hand selling and having a highly professional demeanour.
Salary & Benefits
Most sales assistants starting out will be paid the national minimum wage.
Salaries can increase with experience, while supervisors can earn around £20,000.
They might vary depending on the type of shop – for instance, high end shops which require very experienced and professional sales assistants are likely to pay more.
In some shops, sales assistants can earn commission on sales. Other perks might include bonuses and staff discounts.
Working Hours & Other Details
Full-time sales assistants will usually work a 40-hour week. Most sales assistants are likely to work weekends, and part-time work is very common, with sales assistants working a shift pattern.
Entry Route & Requirements
Happily, there are no formal academic requirements to become a sales assistant. Employers will be far more interested in your people and communication skills, but they will expect you to have a basic standard of literacy and numeracy. There are now a number of retail apprenticeship schemes too.
A good sales assistant should be friendly, personable and polite. They should be able to stay calm under pressure, deftly handle tricky customers and have a helpful and approachable manner.
Training & Progress
Sales assistants tend to learn their trade on the job. Trainees might have specialised training for particular roles, but largely they’ll be learning under the guidance of a supervisor or manager.
More experienced sales assistants can progress to supervisor or managerial roles. With larger retail shops, there might be opportunities to fast-track onto management schemes and become area managers.
Other sales assistants use their experience to give them a leg up into buying, merchandising and other retail areas.
What’s going on?
- How MBA Programmes creating future leader 18-04-2014 @ 14:08
- MBA programs help students to learn the strategies that expands business operations. Many MBA students asks writers "write my essay for me" to fulfill their academic task....
- ERASMUS STUDENTS 2013-14 improve your Spanish whilst you study! 18-04-2014 @ 08:40
- Nice work by the author of this! Amy ...
- How MBA Programmes creating future leader 03-04-2014 @ 06:46
- Really interested in learning more about marketing & promoting myself more effectively thank your time...
- How to Become a Mortgage Broker? 24-03-2014 @ 04:54
- Spontaneous marketing skills , ability to deal with different circumstances , self confidence are the basic qualities a mortgage broker( http://www.northwoodmortgage.com/careers ) should have. If...
- Many US law firms now have offices in the UK and offer training contracts and vacation schemes to talented students and graduates on this side of the pond. If you complete a training contract or...
- Choosing a Law Firm 09-04-2014 @ 12:36
- The legal market is big, tough and very competitive. There are many levels and varieties of law firms running in the market today and with detailed research and a clear idea of one’s own pr...
- Can I get a training contract with a 2:2? 09-04-2014 @ 12:30
- It’s the question we’re perennially asked on our AllAboutLaw Facebook fan page, is it possible to get a training contract with a 2:2? Before jumping in, if you're looking for...
- Training Contract Covering Letter 09-04-2014 @ 12:29
- Finding a training contract is hard enough without a bad covering letter letting you down. You might think your CV is the star of the show, but without a good supporting act, your application wil...
- Specialized Written Work 16-04-2014 @ 20:53
- Utilizing proficient specialized written work administrations will transform present and future profits to your venture in a mixed bag of ways: • Instead of utilizing your master representa......
- Content Writing Services 16-04-2014 @ 20:49
- Why Hire Content Writing Services? Fantastic substance is key for a Web website. In the event that you need to rank in Google or Bing for significant pursuit terms, you have to have content that......
- How To Write A Superb Economics Assignment 16-04-2014 @ 11:03
- Without any doubt it is true to say that economic is a boring subject. And this is a reason why student faces a number of hurdles while writing their economic assignment. Mostly professors assign......
- I do not know that he is not willing to do. 10-04-2014 @ 02:45
- I do not know that he is not willing to do. About BarcelonaLet me give my team a lot of videos of Barcelona, but not the way they play, but the way they celebrate. They went into the countless ba......
- Dairy Crest buys milk firm out of administration, ... 14-03-2013 @ 10:21
- Dairy Crest has bought specialist milk business Proper Welsh Milk out of administration, saving 40 jobs....
- Applications for £120m Govt funding pot open in s... 14-03-2013 @ 10:21
- The money is being made available through the Government’s Advanced Manufacturing Supply Chain Initiative to support research and development, skills training and capital investment in th...
- High Street fund 'barely touched'... 14-03-2013 @ 10:20
- A £10m government fund set up a year ago to help bring empty shops back into use has barely been touched, according to Freedom of Information requests seen by the BBC....