All About UsAllAboutCareers is a social careers information website for everyone who wants to find out more about graduate schemes, apprenticeships, internships and other job-related shenanigans.
- Job Description
- Salary & Benefits
- Working Hours & Other Details
- Entry Route & Requirements
- Training & Progress
There are more than 1.8 million people in the UK working as retail assistants. These are the people working in the shops, helping out customers, manning the tills and restocking shelves. They might be working for big supermarkets, local shops, market stalls, clothes shops or specialised shops.
A sales assistant will probably be responsible for checking stock items and ordering goods, receiving and storing deliveries, restocking shelves and making sure that the shop looks tidy and the goods are well presented. They might also be involved with changing the layout and visual displays and cleaning the sales areas.
A good sales assistant will know their stock inside out, help customers find exactly what they need and offer specialised advice. They’ll be experts at hand selling, promoting special offers and dealing with customer complaints.
The nature of sales assistants’ responsibilities will vary from shop to shop. Some will require sales assistants to have detailed product knowledge, such as mobile phone shops or music shops, whilst small shops might require sales assistants to handle a range of duties, from ordering stock to arranging shop window displays.
For luxury goods shops, the emphasis will be on hand selling and having a highly professional demeanour.
Salary & Benefits
Most sales assistants starting out will be paid the national minimum wage.
Salaries can increase with experience, while supervisors can earn around £20,000.
They might vary depending on the type of shop – for instance, high end shops which require very experienced and professional sales assistants are likely to pay more.
In some shops, sales assistants can earn commission on sales. Other perks might include bonuses and staff discounts.
Working Hours & Other Details
Full-time sales assistants will usually work a 40-hour week. Most sales assistants are likely to work weekends, and part-time work is very common, with sales assistants working a shift pattern.
Entry Route & Requirements
Happily, there are no formal academic requirements to become a sales assistant. Employers will be far more interested in your people and communication skills, but they will expect you to have a basic standard of literacy and numeracy. There are now a number of retail apprenticeship schemes too.
A good sales assistant should be friendly, personable and polite. They should be able to stay calm under pressure, deftly handle tricky customers and have a helpful and approachable manner.
Training & Progress
Sales assistants tend to learn their trade on the job. Trainees might have specialised training for particular roles, but largely they’ll be learning under the guidance of a supervisor or manager.
More experienced sales assistants can progress to supervisor or managerial roles. With larger retail shops, there might be opportunities to fast-track onto management schemes and become area managers.
Other sales assistants use their experience to give them a leg up into buying, merchandising and other retail areas.
What’s going on?
- Should I go to university? 14-07-2014 @ 14:15
- hello, I was just wondering ''is it fun at university or nah'' because I really want to go but if its not fun then I wont go because it costs a lot of money and I could spend that money on someth...
- MBA in Hospital and Health Care Management 09-07-2014 @ 07:54
- If you have keen interest in management and medical both than doing MBA in hospital and health care management could be good option for your. Kohinoor Business school offers a management degree i...
- Is human resources a woman's world? 09-07-2014 @ 07:50
- Doing MBA in HR management is the first choice of every female students the reason behind this is the natural quality of women to manage the people. Another is safe and good career growth options...
- Solar Module Mounting 09-07-2014 @ 07:39
- Solar module mounting is technique to get electricity power from solar light by installing solar panels in a proper way. There is huge market of manufacturing and selling solar products. Satec en...
- Many US law firms now have offices in the UK and offer training contracts and vacation schemes to talented students and graduates on this side of the pond. If you complete a training contract or...
- Choosing a Law Firm 09-04-2014 @ 12:36
- The legal market is big, tough and very competitive. There are many levels and varieties of law firms running in the market today and with detailed research and a clear idea of one’s own pr...
- Can I get a training contract with a 2:2? 09-04-2014 @ 12:30
- It’s the question we’re perennially asked on our AllAboutLaw Facebook fan page, is it possible to get a training contract with a 2:2? Before jumping in, if you're looking for...
- Training Contract Covering Letter 09-04-2014 @ 12:29
- Finding a training contract is hard enough without a bad covering letter letting you down. You might think your CV is the star of the show, but without a good supporting act, your application wil...
- 16-year old new balance 574 women enbide 30-07-2014 @ 07:49
- 16-year old new balance 574 women enbide and catches from Yaoundé to United States Florida flights. "At that time I felt I was repeating his journey. If can be as great as he is,......
- Lorsque nike free run 2 pas cher Bryant en saison 30-07-2014 @ 03:57
- Lorsque nike free run 2 pas cher Bryant en saison rookie Shi avait et Scott avait son coéquipier, est basé sur cette couche près de relation, Scott nouvelle saison et Br......
- Défense de nike free run 2 son titre 30-07-2014 @ 03:56
- Défense de nike free run 2 son titre la saison dernière, les Lakers perdue à 109,2 points par jeu, classé 29e dans la Ligue et leurs opposants tir était 46......
- Lakers nest air max 1 pas cher pas les 30-07-2014 @ 03:56
- Lakers n'est air max 1 pas cher pas les étoiles se sont réunis, mais est possible par le biais de haute résistance de formation mise à niveau de compét......
- Dairy Crest buys milk firm out of administration, ... 14-03-2013 @ 10:21
- Dairy Crest has bought specialist milk business Proper Welsh Milk out of administration, saving 40 jobs....
- Applications for £120m Govt funding pot open in s... 14-03-2013 @ 10:21
- The money is being made available through the Government’s Advanced Manufacturing Supply Chain Initiative to support research and development, skills training and capital investment in th...
- High Street fund 'barely touched'... 14-03-2013 @ 10:20
- A £10m government fund set up a year ago to help bring empty shops back into use has barely been touched, according to Freedom of Information requests seen by the BBC....