All About UsAllAboutCareers is a social careers information website for everyone who wants to find out more about graduate schemes, apprenticeships, internships and other job-related shenanigans.
- Job Description
- Salary & Benefits
- Working Hours & Other Details
- Entry Route & Requirements
- Training & Progress
Recruitment consultants work on behalf of companies to source candidates for their latest job vacancies. It’s all about understanding the requirements of a job and then finding the right people to fill that requirement.
Recruitment consultants can work for independent recruitment agencies or in-house for major companies that manage their own recruitment processes. Some even work as self-employed professionals.
Working as a recruitment consultant generally involves analysing and understanding job specifications, which are provided by clients, and then using a variety of different means to find the right candidates for the roles.
Recruitment consultants might find candidates by conducting keyword searches on internal recruitment databases, trawling through CVs online using various job websites, or actively ‘headhunting’ senior professionals through independent research. Many recruitment consultants now also use LinkedIn to find candidates.
Providing candidates with tips and advice on their CV and interview technique is another important part of the role. It’s all about building relationships, not only with candidates, but with clients too.
The majority of recruitment consultants will also engage in some form of business development and networking, meeting with potential new clients, establishing relationships and developing new business opportunities. They may also advise their clients on market trends, skills development and recruitment tools and techniques.
As a recruitment consultant, it is possible to gain general, overall expertise, irrespective of the markets you recruit for. However, the present and continuing trend is for recruitment consultants to specialise in one or two industry sectors, such as finance and I.T. Others may specialise purely in graduate recruitment or in executive contract vacancies.
Salary & Benefits
Generally, trainee recruitment consultants earn salaries between £15,000 and £22,000.
Basic salaries tend to be quite low at all levels, since recruitment consultants also receive attractive commission payments, bonuses and other incentives, based on their achievement of revenue targets and new business acquisitions.
Consultants with more than two years’ experience can earn salaries of around £20,000 to £30,000, not including commission, while senior employees with team management responsibilities can earn basic salaries of £40,000 and above.
Annual commission payments range between £5,000 and £30,000, depending on a wide range of factors, such as location, industry expertise and overall experience.
Employees may also receive a variety of other perks, such as laptops, mobile phones and rewards for exceptional performance, such as weekend breaks or annual trips abroad.
Working Hours & Other Details
Working hours tend to be long and irregular, including extra hours during weekends. This is natural, given the sales-oriented nature of the job. Travel outside the office, to meet existing clients or to develop new business opportunities, is also a regular occurrence.
However, most employers allow employees to make use of flexible work arrangements, as long as business requirements are met.
Entry Route & Requirements
You certainly don’t need a degree to work in recruitment. However, some firms may prefer recent graduates with drive, ambition and a solid work ethic. There are no restrictions on what degree you can study, although studying recruitment-related disciplines such as human resources may be useful.
The emphasis is more on drive, tenacity, resilience, confidence and a general aptitude for sales, marketing and customer service.
Prior work experience in recruitment or any customer-facing field is usually preferred, since entry-level competition is stiff.
Training & Progress
Structured training and development programmes vary from organisation to organisation. However, graduate schemes are provided by many medium-sized and large recruitment firms, such as Hays, Michael Page and Randstad.
The Recruitment and Employment Confederation (REC) is another professional body which provides bespoke recruitment-specific qualifications.
Career progression depends on your ability to reach sales targets. Most people will start out as a trainee recruitment consultant or resourcer, before moving into an account management or team leader position.
Alternative career options include independent consulting, teaching and training, or niche market specialisation, e.g. CEO-level headhunting.
What’s going on?
- Should I go to university? 20-08-2014 @ 05:32
- Difficult question! The fees have risen and the job scenario isn't good at the moment. But I still think you should go to University. Who knows, you might stumble over something at uni. and reali...
- Should I apply an international internship in NSC 11-08-2014 @ 09:13
- Assignment Help Australia ...
- Should I apply an international internship in NSC 11-08-2014 @ 09:13
- You should have to start some business writing or other it will really boost up your knowledge if you want some this kind of job or internship you can just check this site. Assignment Help Austra...
- Should I go to university? 02-08-2014 @ 17:40
- I'm currently at university and I've just finished my second year studying languages. I don't think your decision should be made purely on the fact of the fees, although they are large, because u...
- Many US law firms now have offices in the UK and offer training contracts and vacation schemes to talented students and graduates on this side of the pond. If you complete a training contract or...
- Choosing a Law Firm 09-04-2014 @ 12:36
- The legal market is big, tough and very competitive. There are many levels and varieties of law firms running in the market today and with detailed research and a clear idea of one’s own pr...
- Can I get a training contract with a 2:2? 09-04-2014 @ 12:30
- It’s the question we’re perennially asked on our AllAboutLaw Facebook fan page, is it possible to get a training contract with a 2:2? Before jumping in, if you're looking for...
- Training Contract Covering Letter 09-04-2014 @ 12:29
- Finding a training contract is hard enough without a bad covering letter letting you down. You might think your CV is the star of the show, but without a good supporting act, your application wil...
- Tout en air yeezy 1 pas cher laissant 22-08-2014 @ 04:25
- Tout en air yeezy 1 pas cher laissant les Knicks pour rejoindre les rockets après Lin élan fou de progressivement éteints, mais son histoire inspirante a déplac&e......
- Lin jouant air max 97 homme pour les 22-08-2014 @ 04:25
- Lin jouant air max 97 homme pour les rockets, il inscrivit 12,5 points et 4,1 passes décisives, tir aussi gamme de trois points à 35,8 %, un sommet en carrière 44,6 %, t......
- Saison air max 95 femme dernière 22-08-2014 @ 04:23
- Rose cessé air max 2013 femme d'augmenter au cours des derniers jours ne pas former le warm-up d'aujourd'hui correspond à et n'a pas joué de nombreux m&e......
- Comme nous femme air max 90 le savons 22-08-2014 @ 04:23
- Comme nous femme air max 90 le savons, le Musée de cire Madame Tussaud qui célébrités, athlètes, personnalités politiques, connues pour avoir cr&eac......
- Dairy Crest buys milk firm out of administration, ... 14-03-2013 @ 10:21
- Dairy Crest has bought specialist milk business Proper Welsh Milk out of administration, saving 40 jobs....
- Applications for £120m Govt funding pot open in s... 14-03-2013 @ 10:21
- The money is being made available through the Government’s Advanced Manufacturing Supply Chain Initiative to support research and development, skills training and capital investment in th...
- High Street fund 'barely touched'... 14-03-2013 @ 10:20
- A £10m government fund set up a year ago to help bring empty shops back into use has barely been touched, according to Freedom of Information requests seen by the BBC....