All About UsAllAboutCareers is a social careers information website for everyone who wants to find out more about graduate schemes, apprenticeships, internships and other job-related shenanigans.
- Job Description
- Salary & Benefits
- Working Hours & Other Details
- Entry Route & Requirements
- Training & Progress
Plant breeders and geneticists experiment with plant species using advanced genetics expertise, tools and techniques. They do so with the objectives of increasing crop yields, developing new horticultural strains for commercial enterprises, improving species’ resistance to pests and disease and their chances of survival in extreme conditions and habitats.
This isn’t necessarily done out of environmentalist motives: geneticists’ interventions will make crops taste nicer and last longer! Essentially, these guys have to consider the commercial utility of each plant and product throughout their research and experimentation, in order to gain the optimal benefits.
Plant breeders and geneticists are employed in a variety of sectors, such as agriculture, horticulture and commercial and public sector companies engaged in food production, as well as the pharmaceutical and bioscience industries. They can also work in many different settings, such as government and regulatory bodies, research institutes and the academy.
The industry is represented by the British Society of Plant Breeders (BSPB), membership of which is restricted to corporate entities and institutions.
Breeding and genetics are expensive and capital-intensive operations, requiring massive financial investments over a long period of time, with returns realised over decades. Hence, most jobs in this field are funded by private and government sectors or through academic and research grants.
Salary & Benefits
The average salary for personnel with only a few years of experience is £24,000.
With around five years’ experience, it grows to £31,000, with upwards of £40,000 as you progress beyond that.
Benefits for those working in the private sector might typically include pensions, health insurance and a company car.
Working Hours & Other Details
Plant breeding and the development of new strains or genetically modified crops is a long process with no immediate results. Working hours are long and irregular during peak planting seasons for a variety of plants and crops.
Frequent travel within the UK for conferences and workshops with other professionals is common.
Entry Route & Requirements
Academic requirements for plant geneticists or breeder roles are an upper 2:1 or higher honours degree in agriculture, biology, biotechnology, botany and plant science or other related disciplines.
A postgraduate or doctoral degree, as well as some relevant work experience, provides an edge in the recruitment process. A full and valid driving licence is necessary for employees engaged in field and lab work.
Training & Progress
Development exercises are mainly facilitated by ‘on-the-job’ monitoring and guidance provided by line managers and experienced colleagues in the department.
Employees in commercial research and development facilities and state-funded research organisations receive training via structured programmes, including rotations across various functions, as well as technical, scientific and soft-skills courses and a longer placement in the chosen area of specialisation.
Career development is driven by performance, qualifications and professional experience. Completing an advanced degree programme from accredited institutions and publishing your innovative research and development work in trade and academic journals are fast-track routes to promotions and jobs with increased managerial responsibilities.
What’s going on?
- SNAP 2014 Registration Process 13-12-2013 @ 06:31
- Read the SNAP 2014 Registration Process carefully before filling the application form so that you wouldn't forget important information or document mandatory for admission. http://www.educationex...
- Is Hull a good university? 10-12-2013 @ 07:26
- Hull is surely a good University with great educational atmosphere and professional staff. write my essay cheap ...
- ERASMUS STUDENTS 2013-14 improve your Spanish whilst you study! 10-12-2013 @ 07:23
- It is really troublesome for the foreign students to survive in European and US universities. So this is good to find out some English classes for Spanish students. good work and hope students ge...
- Minimum Criteria for MNC jobs 09-12-2013 @ 06:08
- What percentage require to get a job in MNC . How much I should score in my Post graduation or graduation....
- Traditionally, front office staff are the folks in contact with the consumers or clients, whilst the back office staff are the people behind-the-scenes working in administrative or support roles....
- A Day in the Life of a Chartered Architectural Technologist 25-02-2013 @ 15:44
- My typical working week… As a Chartered Architectural Technologist (MCIAT), I will always have a varied day. I work a standard working week. My hours are 9am til 5.30pm, but I tend to...
- National Audit Office’s School Leaver Scheme: My Experience 14-02-2013 @ 17:26
- Accountancy school leavers’ programme or university? It was in my final year of college that I decided that I wanted to pursue a career in accountancy. I looked in to the options avai...
- Accountancy: Payroll Career Paths 14-02-2013 @ 11:22
- Accountancy is an incredibly varied profession with a large number of different roles available within the industry. Payroll is increasingly important for businesses; the majority of companies ...
- essay writing tips 10-12-2013 @ 07:28
- get essay writing help by experts and professionals. You can also buy online essay right now. ...
- Practical tips for becoming a hypnotherapist 09-12-2013 @ 10:20
- If you are thinking about becoming a hypnotherapist, there are a number of different ways you can get into it. Of course, once you are qualified, you then have various avenues that you can explor......
- 5 Little Known Ways To Proofread Your Own Document 05-12-2013 @ 12:41
- Proofreading is one of the most important steps of writing in which you will have to read your write out from top to bottom and find the errors or mistakes that you may have left in it. There are......
- Which path? 05-12-2013 @ 11:41
- Please could you offer me some advice regarding my career path in Civil Engineering. I am currently working at Gatwick Airport as a newly promoted Senior Site Agent for the main maintanence fram......
- Dairy Crest buys milk firm out of administration, ... 14-03-2013 @ 10:21
- Dairy Crest has bought specialist milk business Proper Welsh Milk out of administration, saving 40 jobs....
- Applications for £120m Govt funding pot open in s... 14-03-2013 @ 10:21
- The money is being made available through the Government’s Advanced Manufacturing Supply Chain Initiative to support research and development, skills training and capital investment in th...
- High Street fund 'barely touched'... 14-03-2013 @ 10:20
- A £10m government fund set up a year ago to help bring empty shops back into use has barely been touched, according to Freedom of Information requests seen by the BBC....