All About UsAllAboutCareers is a social careers information website for everyone who wants to find out more about graduate schemes, apprenticeships, internships and other job-related shenanigans.
- Job Description
- Salary & Benefits
- Working Hours & Other Details
- Entry Route & Requirements
- Training & Progress
Plant breeders and geneticists experiment with plant species using advanced genetics expertise, tools and techniques. They do so with the objectives of increasing crop yields, developing new horticultural strains for commercial enterprises, improving species’ resistance to pests and disease and their chances of survival in extreme conditions and habitats.
This isn’t necessarily done out of environmentalist motives: geneticists’ interventions will make crops taste nicer and last longer! Essentially, these guys have to consider the commercial utility of each plant and product throughout their research and experimentation, in order to gain the optimal benefits.
Plant breeders and geneticists are employed in a variety of sectors, such as agriculture, horticulture and commercial and public sector companies engaged in food production, as well as the pharmaceutical and bioscience industries. They can also work in many different settings, such as government and regulatory bodies, research institutes and the academy.
The industry is represented by the British Society of Plant Breeders (BSPB), membership of which is restricted to corporate entities and institutions.
Breeding and genetics are expensive and capital-intensive operations, requiring massive financial investments over a long period of time, with returns realised over decades. Hence, most jobs in this field are funded by private and government sectors or through academic and research grants.
Salary & Benefits
The average salary for personnel with only a few years of experience is £24,000.
With around five years’ experience, it grows to £31,000, with upwards of £40,000 as you progress beyond that.
Benefits for those working in the private sector might typically include pensions, health insurance and a company car.
Working Hours & Other Details
Plant breeding and the development of new strains or genetically modified crops is a long process with no immediate results. Working hours are long and irregular during peak planting seasons for a variety of plants and crops.
Frequent travel within the UK for conferences and workshops with other professionals is common.
Entry Route & Requirements
Academic requirements for plant geneticists or breeder roles are an upper 2:1 or higher honours degree in agriculture, biology, biotechnology, botany and plant science or other related disciplines.
A postgraduate or doctoral degree, as well as some relevant work experience, provides an edge in the recruitment process. A full and valid driving licence is necessary for employees engaged in field and lab work.
Training & Progress
Development exercises are mainly facilitated by ‘on-the-job’ monitoring and guidance provided by line managers and experienced colleagues in the department.
Employees in commercial research and development facilities and state-funded research organisations receive training via structured programmes, including rotations across various functions, as well as technical, scientific and soft-skills courses and a longer placement in the chosen area of specialisation.
Career development is driven by performance, qualifications and professional experience. Completing an advanced degree programme from accredited institutions and publishing your innovative research and development work in trade and academic journals are fast-track routes to promotions and jobs with increased managerial responsibilities.
What’s going on?
- How MBA Programmes creating future leader 18-04-2014 @ 14:08
- MBA programs help students to learn the strategies that expands business operations. Many MBA students asks writers "write my essay for me" to fulfill their academic task....
- ERASMUS STUDENTS 2013-14 improve your Spanish whilst you study! 18-04-2014 @ 08:40
- Nice work by the author of this! Amy ...
- How MBA Programmes creating future leader 03-04-2014 @ 06:46
- Really interested in learning more about marketing & promoting myself more effectively thank your time...
- How to Become a Mortgage Broker? 24-03-2014 @ 04:54
- Spontaneous marketing skills , ability to deal with different circumstances , self confidence are the basic qualities a mortgage broker( http://www.northwoodmortgage.com/careers ) should have. If...
- Many US law firms now have offices in the UK and offer training contracts and vacation schemes to talented students and graduates on this side of the pond. If you complete a training contract or...
- Choosing a Law Firm 09-04-2014 @ 12:36
- The legal market is big, tough and very competitive. There are many levels and varieties of law firms running in the market today and with detailed research and a clear idea of one’s own pr...
- Can I get a training contract with a 2:2? 09-04-2014 @ 12:30
- It’s the question we’re perennially asked on our AllAboutLaw Facebook fan page, is it possible to get a training contract with a 2:2? Before jumping in, if you're looking for...
- Training Contract Covering Letter 09-04-2014 @ 12:29
- Finding a training contract is hard enough without a bad covering letter letting you down. You might think your CV is the star of the show, but without a good supporting act, your application wil...
- Specialized Written Work 16-04-2014 @ 20:53
- Utilizing proficient specialized written work administrations will transform present and future profits to your venture in a mixed bag of ways: • Instead of utilizing your master representa......
- Content Writing Services 16-04-2014 @ 20:49
- Why Hire Content Writing Services? Fantastic substance is key for a Web website. In the event that you need to rank in Google or Bing for significant pursuit terms, you have to have content that......
- How To Write A Superb Economics Assignment 16-04-2014 @ 11:03
- Without any doubt it is true to say that economic is a boring subject. And this is a reason why student faces a number of hurdles while writing their economic assignment. Mostly professors assign......
- I do not know that he is not willing to do. 10-04-2014 @ 02:45
- I do not know that he is not willing to do. About BarcelonaLet me give my team a lot of videos of Barcelona, but not the way they play, but the way they celebrate. They went into the countless ba......
- Dairy Crest buys milk firm out of administration, ... 14-03-2013 @ 10:21
- Dairy Crest has bought specialist milk business Proper Welsh Milk out of administration, saving 40 jobs....
- Applications for £120m Govt funding pot open in s... 14-03-2013 @ 10:21
- The money is being made available through the Government’s Advanced Manufacturing Supply Chain Initiative to support research and development, skills training and capital investment in th...
- High Street fund 'barely touched'... 14-03-2013 @ 10:20
- A £10m government fund set up a year ago to help bring empty shops back into use has barely been touched, according to Freedom of Information requests seen by the BBC....