All About UsAllAboutCareers is a social careers information website for everyone who wants to find out more about graduate schemes, apprenticeships, internships and other job-related shenanigans.
- Job Description
- Salary & Benefits
- Working Hours & Other Details
- Entry Route & Requirements
- Training & Progress
‘Mudlogger’ might sound like the name of a terrible death metal band, but it’s actually an incredibly important job in the oil industry. Mudloggers play a vital role in the acquisition of ‘black gold’.
These geological experts are responsible for gathering, processing and monitoring information pertaining to drilling operations. They don’t only collect data using specialist data acquisition techniques – they also collect oil samples and detect gases using state-of-the-art equipment, such as chromatographs and binocular microscopes.
The information amassed by these guys is analysed, logged and then communicated to the team that is responsible for the physical drilling of the oil.
Without the help of the mudlogger, the drilling operations would be less efficient, less cost-effective and much more dangerous. Indeed, the mudlogger is vital for preventing hazardous situations, such as well blowouts.
They may also be responsible for performing some maintenance work on the rig. They also provide vital assistance to wellsite geologists and write detailed reports based on the data that is collected.
Salary & Benefits
Mudloggers can earn a decent wage. Indeed, once they are fully trained, they can earn between £40,000 and £60,000 per annum. If you secure a job with a major oil company, you will understandably earn more money.
The nature of the mudlogging profession means that your outgoings will also be pretty minimal. Since you will tend to work offshore on oil rigs, your food, travel and accommodation expenses will usually be paid for by your employer. Not bad, eh?
Working Hours & Other Details
When you’re on duty, you will most likely be required to work seven days a week. Shifts of 12 hours or longer are common. The intense nature of this work, however, is offset by extended periods of leave. For instance, you might be required to work offshore on a rig for two or three weeks, but then you will be given a fortnight off when you’re back on dry land.
Most job opportunities for mudloggers are available on rigs in the North Sea, or abroad in places such as the Middle East, Latin America and Africa. Consequently, international travel is a common occurrence in this line of work.
Entry Route & Requirements
Typically, you will need an undergraduate degree in geology to start a career as a mudlogger. However, candidates with degrees in physics, geochemistry, chemistry, environmental geoscience, maths or engineering may also be accepted.
A postgraduate degree is not essential, but certainly wouldn’t harm your chances of finding work.
Training & Progress
Oil companies who employ mudloggers will provide entry-level employees with a mixture of ‘on-the-job’ training and expert training courses, which cover different aspects of drilling operations. A major part of the training will focus on the use of specialist computer software.
More importantly, mudloggers will also need to undergo in-depth safety and survival training.
As you progress in your career, you may become a senior data engineer with team leading responsibilities. Some mudloggers eventually make the jump to become a wellsite geologist, while others simply become self-employed and pursue freelance job opportunities.
What’s going on?
- Buy Counterfeit EURO & DOLLAR NOTES ,UK birth certificate, work permits,travel documents, id 23-09-2014 @ 23:05
- Buy Counterfeit EURO & DOLLAR NOTES ,UK birth certificate, work permits,travel documents, id's(email@example.com) Buy Real Genuine data base Registered and Fake Passport, Drivers li...
- work experience 23-09-2014 @ 16:14
- I am full time student and i am in my second year at university doing Bachelor of Housing and i have a diploma in Architectural Design, but the one thing am really looking forward to is work expe...
- Where can I get work experience? 17-09-2014 @ 10:39
- I learn a lot by reading books and from my teachers now want to implement in my practical life" where can I get my practical knowledge? online dissertation services ...
- How MBA Programmes creating future leader 06-09-2014 @ 13:00
- Students should also participate in workshops as this help increase their knowledge. MBA students should strive to enhance their educational level in order to cope up in the competitive world. Ge...
- Many US law firms now have offices in the UK and offer training contracts and vacation schemes to talented students and graduates on this side of the pond. If you complete a training contract or...
- Choosing a Law Firm 09-04-2014 @ 12:36
- The legal market is big, tough and very competitive. There are many levels and varieties of law firms running in the market today and with detailed research and a clear idea of one’s own pr...
- Can I get a training contract with a 2:2? 09-04-2014 @ 12:30
- It’s the question we’re perennially asked on our AllAboutLaw Facebook fan page, is it possible to get a training contract with a 2:2? Before jumping in, if you're looking for...
- Training Contract Covering Letter 09-04-2014 @ 12:29
- Finding a training contract is hard enough without a bad covering letter letting you down. You might think your CV is the star of the show, but without a good supporting act, your application wil...
- Nike free 4.0 v2 mens Personal property coverage 24-09-2014 @ 01:57
- nike free 4.0 v2 mens Personal property coverage will pay for all of your belongings that are not fixed to the dwelling. Some belongings such as jewelry and antiques may be subject to specia......
- Nike air pegasus 83 uk A condo complex policy covers 24-09-2014 @ 01:48
- nike air yeezy 2 uk 5.Ear muffs protects against all forms of noise ' Impact, Intermittent, and Continuous. 6.They possess binaural capability that aids in hearing the direction of spe......
- Nike free 3.0 v4 womens Professional Co 24-09-2014 @ 01:47
- nike free 3.0 v4 womens Professional Co-Active Coach CPCC concentrates on: creating a balanced & healthy life, planning and setting life & business goal setting, managing transiti......
- PROFESSIONAL AND PREPARED 23-09-2014 @ 20:18
- Fluctuating exchange rates are a fact of life. When it comes to taking a holiday once or twice a year, we pretty much have to go with the flow – sometimes rates will be in our favour, somet......
- Dairy Crest buys milk firm out of administration, ... 14-03-2013 @ 10:21
- Dairy Crest has bought specialist milk business Proper Welsh Milk out of administration, saving 40 jobs....
- Applications for £120m Govt funding pot open in s... 14-03-2013 @ 10:21
- The money is being made available through the Government’s Advanced Manufacturing Supply Chain Initiative to support research and development, skills training and capital investment in th...
- High Street fund 'barely touched'... 14-03-2013 @ 10:20
- A £10m government fund set up a year ago to help bring empty shops back into use has barely been touched, according to Freedom of Information requests seen by the BBC....