All About UsAllAboutCareers is a social careers information website for everyone who wants to find out more about graduate schemes, apprenticeships, internships and other job-related shenanigans.
- Job Description
- Salary & Benefits
- Working Hours & Other Details
- Entry Route & Requirements
- Training & Progress
‘Mudlogger’ might sound like the name of a terrible death metal band, but it’s actually an incredibly important job in the oil industry. Mudloggers play a vital role in the acquisition of ‘black gold’.
These geological experts are responsible for gathering, processing and monitoring information pertaining to drilling operations. They don’t only collect data using specialist data acquisition techniques – they also collect oil samples and detect gases using state-of-the-art equipment, such as chromatographs and binocular microscopes.
The information amassed by these guys is analysed, logged and then communicated to the team that is responsible for the physical drilling of the oil.
Without the help of the mudlogger, the drilling operations would be less efficient, less cost-effective and much more dangerous. Indeed, the mudlogger is vital for preventing hazardous situations, such as well blowouts.
They may also be responsible for performing some maintenance work on the rig. They also provide vital assistance to wellsite geologists and write detailed reports based on the data that is collected.
Salary & Benefits
Mudloggers can earn a decent wage. Indeed, once they are fully trained, they can earn between £40,000 and £60,000 per annum. If you secure a job with a major oil company, you will understandably earn more money.
The nature of the mudlogging profession means that your outgoings will also be pretty minimal. Since you will tend to work offshore on oil rigs, your food, travel and accommodation expenses will usually be paid for by your employer. Not bad, eh?
Working Hours & Other Details
When you’re on duty, you will most likely be required to work seven days a week. Shifts of 12 hours or longer are common. The intense nature of this work, however, is offset by extended periods of leave. For instance, you might be required to work offshore on a rig for two or three weeks, but then you will be given a fortnight off when you’re back on dry land.
Most job opportunities for mudloggers are available on rigs in the North Sea, or abroad in places such as the Middle East, Latin America and Africa. Consequently, international travel is a common occurrence in this line of work.
Entry Route & Requirements
Typically, you will need an undergraduate degree in geology to start a career as a mudlogger. However, candidates with degrees in physics, geochemistry, chemistry, environmental geoscience, maths or engineering may also be accepted.
A postgraduate degree is not essential, but certainly wouldn’t harm your chances of finding work.
Training & Progress
Oil companies who employ mudloggers will provide entry-level employees with a mixture of ‘on-the-job’ training and expert training courses, which cover different aspects of drilling operations. A major part of the training will focus on the use of specialist computer software.
More importantly, mudloggers will also need to undergo in-depth safety and survival training.
As you progress in your career, you may become a senior data engineer with team leading responsibilities. Some mudloggers eventually make the jump to become a wellsite geologist, while others simply become self-employed and pursue freelance job opportunities.
What’s going on?
- Should I apply an international internship in NSC 17-10-2014 @ 12:27
- thats a good idea .. and what is it that you do ?? ...
- Should I apply an international internship in NSC 17-10-2014 @ 11:54
- its a good thing to do an internship right after your graduation.it will be beneficial for your career don't think about the industry just try to learn something first then go for the big names.p...
- Should I apply an international internship in NSC 17-10-2014 @ 08:38
- Same is over here that this is really very nice post. Keep up the awesome work. Thanks for sharing your great work and letting me to say about it. custom research papers...
- BUY REAL AND FAKE PASSPORT,VISA,ID,DL ETC.(firstname.lastname@example.org) 11-10-2014 @ 10:21
- Best Quality Novelty Fake IDs and Passports (email@example.com) Best Quality Novelty Fake IDs and Passports, Marriage certificates and Drivers license etc buy now high quality-We have the b...
- Many US law firms now have offices in the UK and offer training contracts and vacation schemes to talented students and graduates on this side of the pond. If you complete a training contract or...
- Choosing a Law Firm 09-04-2014 @ 12:36
- The legal market is big, tough and very competitive. There are many levels and varieties of law firms running in the market today and with detailed research and a clear idea of one’s own pr...
- Can I get a training contract with a 2:2? 09-04-2014 @ 12:30
- It’s the question we’re perennially asked on our AllAboutLaw Facebook fan page, is it possible to get a training contract with a 2:2? Before jumping in, if you're looking for...
- Training Contract Covering Letter 09-04-2014 @ 12:29
- Finding a training contract is hard enough without a bad covering letter letting you down. You might think your CV is the star of the show, but without a good supporting act, your application wil...
- Unusual Evidence For Fingernail Infection 25-10-2014 @ 19:07
- Fingernail fungus is a skin problem caused by fungi. It is located in both toe and finger nails and clinically referred to as onychomycosis. It's a type of fungi that requires humid atmospher......
- A Perfect Article To Read More Information On Weight Watcher Recipes 25-10-2014 @ 14:06
- Do you need good foods to eat for weight loss? weight watcher Sick of being overweight and aiming to lose body fat? Try to go through the way you live because it dictates who you are today. Healt......
- Extremely Cool - Low Cost Paper 25-10-2014 @ 12:47
- You probably completely understand how vital paper is to a small-business. Brad Witham It's the greatest office supply expenditure every year. When searching for paper, price tag must be a f......
- Criminal Defense Lawyers 25-10-2014 @ 11:13
- Having a criminal attorney working for you during a health care fraud demo can make a alteration in your end result. If you are not guilty of the accusation, a criminal attorney can assist you in......
- Dairy Crest buys milk firm out of administration, ... 14-03-2013 @ 10:21
- Dairy Crest has bought specialist milk business Proper Welsh Milk out of administration, saving 40 jobs....
- Applications for £120m Govt funding pot open in s... 14-03-2013 @ 10:21
- The money is being made available through the Government’s Advanced Manufacturing Supply Chain Initiative to support research and development, skills training and capital investment in th...
- High Street fund 'barely touched'... 14-03-2013 @ 10:20
- A £10m government fund set up a year ago to help bring empty shops back into use has barely been touched, according to Freedom of Information requests seen by the BBC....