All About UsAllAboutCareers is a social careers information website for everyone who wants to find out more about graduate schemes, apprenticeships, internships and other job-related shenanigans.
- Job Description
- Salary & Benefits
- Working Hours & Other Details
- Entry Route & Requirements
- Training & Progress
‘Mudlogger’ might sound like the name of a terrible death metal band, but it’s actually an incredibly important job in the oil industry. Mudloggers play a vital role in the acquisition of ‘black gold’.
These geological experts are responsible for gathering, processing and monitoring information pertaining to drilling operations. They don’t only collect data using specialist data acquisition techniques – they also collect oil samples and detect gases using state-of-the-art equipment, such as chromatographs and binocular microscopes.
The information amassed by these guys is analysed, logged and then communicated to the team that is responsible for the physical drilling of the oil.
Without the help of the mudlogger, the drilling operations would be less efficient, less cost-effective and much more dangerous. Indeed, the mudlogger is vital for preventing hazardous situations, such as well blowouts.
They may also be responsible for performing some maintenance work on the rig. They also provide vital assistance to wellsite geologists and write detailed reports based on the data that is collected.
Salary & Benefits
Mudloggers can earn a decent wage. Indeed, once they are fully trained, they can earn between £40,000 and £60,000 per annum. If you secure a job with a major oil company, you will understandably earn more money.
The nature of the mudlogging profession means that your outgoings will also be pretty minimal. Since you will tend to work offshore on oil rigs, your food, travel and accommodation expenses will usually be paid for by your employer. Not bad, eh?
Working Hours & Other Details
When you’re on duty, you will most likely be required to work seven days a week. Shifts of 12 hours or longer are common. The intense nature of this work, however, is offset by extended periods of leave. For instance, you might be required to work offshore on a rig for two or three weeks, but then you will be given a fortnight off when you’re back on dry land.
Most job opportunities for mudloggers are available on rigs in the North Sea, or abroad in places such as the Middle East, Latin America and Africa. Consequently, international travel is a common occurrence in this line of work.
Entry Route & Requirements
Typically, you will need an undergraduate degree in geology to start a career as a mudlogger. However, candidates with degrees in physics, geochemistry, chemistry, environmental geoscience, maths or engineering may also be accepted.
A postgraduate degree is not essential, but certainly wouldn’t harm your chances of finding work.
Training & Progress
Oil companies who employ mudloggers will provide entry-level employees with a mixture of ‘on-the-job’ training and expert training courses, which cover different aspects of drilling operations. A major part of the training will focus on the use of specialist computer software.
More importantly, mudloggers will also need to undergo in-depth safety and survival training.
As you progress in your career, you may become a senior data engineer with team leading responsibilities. Some mudloggers eventually make the jump to become a wellsite geologist, while others simply become self-employed and pursue freelance job opportunities.
What’s going on?
- Latest Transport & Logistics news from around the world 24-11-2014 @ 23:20
- Buy High Quality Real/Novelty Document...
- Does anyone know what you call the people who look for oil or gas called? 24-11-2014 @ 09:32
- It's essential to retrieve, that approaches to opinion info originate at school besides college. If learners write endeavors by their acknowledge, they are versatile to decide amend info. Else, i...
- How to prepare for Certified Actuarial Analyst course ? 14-11-2014 @ 09:00
- Hi, Can anybody please suggest where I may be able to prepare for the Certified Actuarial Analyst course from apart from bppacted and eclonline.com ? Thanks, you help is much appreciated....
- Is human resources a woman's world? 13-11-2014 @ 22:46
- It's essential to recollect, that approaches to opinion info spring at school moreover college. If undergraduates indite writings by their have, they are strong to decide adjust info. Else, in ca...
- Many US law firms now have offices in the UK and offer training contracts and vacation schemes to talented students and graduates on this side of the pond. If you complete a training contract or...
- Choosing a Law Firm 09-04-2014 @ 12:36
- The legal market is big, tough and very competitive. There are many levels and varieties of law firms running in the market today and with detailed research and a clear idea of one’s own pr...
- Can I get a training contract with a 2:2? 09-04-2014 @ 12:30
- It’s the question we’re perennially asked on our AllAboutLaw Facebook fan page, is it possible to get a training contract with a 2:2? Before jumping in, if you're looking for...
- Training Contract Covering Letter 09-04-2014 @ 12:29
- Finding a training contract is hard enough without a bad covering letter letting you down. You might think your CV is the star of the show, but without a good supporting act, your application wil...
- A Really Experienced Internet Data Resource On Ant Pest Control 24-11-2014 @ 20:54
- You may think to try the services by yourself. However, you must know that pest control, for example trapping as well as baiting, would be a time-consuming task. You will surely not be successful......
- Method To Transform Into A Specialist On The Issue Of Men Wrist Watches 24-11-2014 @ 16:32
- There are aviator watches that may be also used as chronometers. Pilots generally rely on accurate timing which is why it is vital for them to use a watch that is dependable. Also, these types of......
- All Around Maxi Cab Singapore And Minibus 24-11-2014 @ 15:54
- It is conventional insurers to design policies for specific applications which is applicable regarding commercial minibus insurance coverage. This is because the needs and requirements differing ......
- Web Information Regarding Muay Thai Fans 24-11-2014 @ 14:01
- The wheel beginning to turn the hands of the Buddha are shown in front of his / her lower chest, and with both hands in the reasoning and exposition place, the fingertips of the left hand resting......
- Dairy Crest buys milk firm out of administration, ... 14-03-2013 @ 10:21
- Dairy Crest has bought specialist milk business Proper Welsh Milk out of administration, saving 40 jobs....
- Applications for £120m Govt funding pot open in s... 14-03-2013 @ 10:21
- The money is being made available through the Government’s Advanced Manufacturing Supply Chain Initiative to support research and development, skills training and capital investment in th...
- High Street fund 'barely touched'... 14-03-2013 @ 10:20
- A £10m government fund set up a year ago to help bring empty shops back into use has barely been touched, according to Freedom of Information requests seen by the BBC....