All About UsAllAboutCareers is a social careers information website for everyone who wants to find out more about graduate schemes, apprenticeships, internships and other job-related shenanigans.
- Job Description
- Salary & Benefits
- Working Hours & Other Details
- Entry Route & Requirements
- Training & Progress
Mental Health Nurse
Mental health nursing is one of the most challenging and complex areas of nursing in which to work. The NHS believes that as many as one in four people suffer from a mental health problem during their lives, which brings into sharp relief the sheer importance of mental health nurses.
A mental health nurse might help people overcome depression caused by unforeseen events in their lives, work as part of a drug or alcohol abuse team or help treat patients afflicted with broad range of mental health problems – anything from neuroses and personality disorders to psychoses. In short, these guys are pretty darn important.
Mental health nurses will usually be part of a team working to provide patient-centric and therapeutic treatment for those suffering from mental health problems. A huge part of a mental health nurse’s work will be building up a relationship of trust with their patients.
They will be involved in a wide range of treatment, such as medication, art, drama or occupational therapy, de-escalation techniques and CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy) in order to help patients manage their mental illnesses.
This lot will try to assess and understand the needs of their patients, conduct risk assessments and create care plans.
Mental Health Nurse
Salary & Benefits
At entry-level, an adult nurse can expect to earn around £21,000 a year. However, with more experience, salaries will increase to around £27,000 per annum. Specialist nurses usually earn between £25,000 and £34,000 a year.
In a senior position, nurses could begin to earn anywhere between £30,000 and £65,000 a year. Not bad, eh?
Mental Health Nurse
Working Hours & Other Details
Unlike those who work in other nursing areas, mental health nurses tend to work in the community, which means that their hours are more regular and sociable.
However, those working in hospitals will need to be more flexible with their time, as working hours tend to be long, irregular and unsociable. Mental health nurses working in this environment tend to work in accordance with planned shift patterns. However, these are subject to last-minute changes or adjustments and nurses need to be prepared for on-call duty with little or no prior notice.
Mental Health Nurse
Entry Route & Requirements
Although the entry requirements for nursing are set to undergo a complete change from September 2013 onwards, mental health nurses currently need to obtain a pre-registration diploma of higher education or degree in mental health nursing.
This takes three or four years to complete (including a foundation learning year and two or three years of specialist learning in mental health nursing). Mental health nurses also need to obtain membership from the Nursing & Midwifery Council (NMC).
Generally, mental health nurses must also have good communication skills, patience, emotional and mental strength, a non-judgemental approach, and high levels of self-motivation and confidence.
In addition, these nurses will be at the forefront of combatting the stigma surrounding mental illness, and helping their patients and families deal with it. They will need to be experts at diffusing tense moments that might escalate to violence and, of course, have a good understanding of the theories of mental health and illnesses.
Mental Health Nurse
Training & Progress
Upon successful completion of pre-registration studies, nurses are required to register with the NMC and move into full-time work. Registration needs to be renewed once every three years, and is dependent on fulfilling continuing professional development requirements. Mental health nurses also need to attend training courses throughout their career in order to keep their skills fresh and up to date.
What’s going on?
- Should I go to university? 14-07-2014 @ 14:15
- hello, I was just wondering ''is it fun at university or nah'' because I really want to go but if its not fun then I wont go because it costs a lot of money and I could spend that money on someth...
- MBA in Hospital and Health Care Management 09-07-2014 @ 07:54
- If you have keen interest in management and medical both than doing MBA in hospital and health care management could be good option for your. Kohinoor Business school offers a management degree i...
- Is human resources a woman's world? 09-07-2014 @ 07:50
- Doing MBA in HR management is the first choice of every female students the reason behind this is the natural quality of women to manage the people. Another is safe and good career growth options...
- Solar Module Mounting 09-07-2014 @ 07:39
- Solar module mounting is technique to get electricity power from solar light by installing solar panels in a proper way. There is huge market of manufacturing and selling solar products. Satec en...
- Many US law firms now have offices in the UK and offer training contracts and vacation schemes to talented students and graduates on this side of the pond. If you complete a training contract or...
- Choosing a Law Firm 09-04-2014 @ 12:36
- The legal market is big, tough and very competitive. There are many levels and varieties of law firms running in the market today and with detailed research and a clear idea of one’s own pr...
- Can I get a training contract with a 2:2? 09-04-2014 @ 12:30
- It’s the question we’re perennially asked on our AllAboutLaw Facebook fan page, is it possible to get a training contract with a 2:2? Before jumping in, if you're looking for...
- Training Contract Covering Letter 09-04-2014 @ 12:29
- Finding a training contract is hard enough without a bad covering letter letting you down. You might think your CV is the star of the show, but without a good supporting act, your application wil...
- Allemagne adidas jeremy scott pas cher heure locale 23-07-2014 @ 13:52
- Allemagne adidas jeremy scott pas cher heure locale mardi, Bayern Munich, terrain dans beaucoup de grands noms visage siège de Club d'entraînement a été chauff......
- sales reached Charles Barkley Shoes 23-07-2014 @ 13:41
- "The Brazil national team jersey Nike released in 2014Nike company issued a new national team jersey Rio de Janeiro home court in Brazil This is Nike LeBron 11 one of Fitbit busine......
- La semaine asics gel excel 33 femme dernière 23-07-2014 @ 13:35
- La semaine asics gel excel 33 femme dernière que sur la Division physique de formation fitness personnel, accompagné de Franck Ribéry peut désormais participer &a......
- La réunion nike free trainer 5.0 v4 homme un petit garçon en 23-07-2014 @ 13:29
- La réunion nike free trainer 5.0 v4 homme un petit garçon en parlant de Portugal de Ronaldo à poser des questions, comment réussir dans le football ? Ronaldo tr&e......
- Dairy Crest buys milk firm out of administration, ... 14-03-2013 @ 10:21
- Dairy Crest has bought specialist milk business Proper Welsh Milk out of administration, saving 40 jobs....
- Applications for £120m Govt funding pot open in s... 14-03-2013 @ 10:21
- The money is being made available through the Government’s Advanced Manufacturing Supply Chain Initiative to support research and development, skills training and capital investment in th...
- High Street fund 'barely touched'... 14-03-2013 @ 10:20
- A £10m government fund set up a year ago to help bring empty shops back into use has barely been touched, according to Freedom of Information requests seen by the BBC....