All About UsAllAboutCareers is a social careers information website for everyone who wants to find out more about graduate schemes, apprenticeships, internships and other job-related shenanigans.
- Job Description
- Salary & Benefits
- Working Hours & Other Details
- Entry Route & Requirements
- Training & Progress
Mental Health Nurse
Mental health nursing is one of the most challenging and complex areas of nursing in which to work. The NHS believes that as many as one in four people suffer from a mental health problem during their lives, which brings into sharp relief the sheer importance of mental health nurses.
A mental health nurse might help people overcome depression caused by unforeseen events in their lives, work as part of a drug or alcohol abuse team or help treat patients afflicted with broad range of mental health problems – anything from neuroses and personality disorders to psychoses. In short, these guys are pretty darn important.
Mental health nurses will usually be part of a team working to provide patient-centric and therapeutic treatment for those suffering from mental health problems. A huge part of a mental health nurse’s work will be building up a relationship of trust with their patients.
They will be involved in a wide range of treatment, such as medication, art, drama or occupational therapy, de-escalation techniques and CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy) in order to help patients manage their mental illnesses.
This lot will try to assess and understand the needs of their patients, conduct risk assessments and create care plans.
Mental Health Nurse
Salary & Benefits
At entry-level, an adult nurse can expect to earn around £21,000 a year. However, with more experience, salaries will increase to around £27,000 per annum. Specialist nurses usually earn between £25,000 and £34,000 a year.
In a senior position, nurses could begin to earn anywhere between £30,000 and £65,000 a year. Not bad, eh?
Mental Health Nurse
Working Hours & Other Details
Unlike those who work in other nursing areas, mental health nurses tend to work in the community, which means that their hours are more regular and sociable.
However, those working in hospitals will need to be more flexible with their time, as working hours tend to be long, irregular and unsociable. Mental health nurses working in this environment tend to work in accordance with planned shift patterns. However, these are subject to last-minute changes or adjustments and nurses need to be prepared for on-call duty with little or no prior notice.
Mental Health Nurse
Entry Route & Requirements
Although the entry requirements for nursing are set to undergo a complete change from September 2013 onwards, mental health nurses currently need to obtain a pre-registration diploma of higher education or degree in mental health nursing.
This takes three or four years to complete (including a foundation learning year and two or three years of specialist learning in mental health nursing). Mental health nurses also need to obtain membership from the Nursing & Midwifery Council (NMC).
Generally, mental health nurses must also have good communication skills, patience, emotional and mental strength, a non-judgemental approach, and high levels of self-motivation and confidence.
In addition, these nurses will be at the forefront of combatting the stigma surrounding mental illness, and helping their patients and families deal with it. They will need to be experts at diffusing tense moments that might escalate to violence and, of course, have a good understanding of the theories of mental health and illnesses.
Mental Health Nurse
Training & Progress
Upon successful completion of pre-registration studies, nurses are required to register with the NMC and move into full-time work. Registration needs to be renewed once every three years, and is dependent on fulfilling continuing professional development requirements. Mental health nurses also need to attend training courses throughout their career in order to keep their skills fresh and up to date.
What’s going on?
- Is executive MBA a good option ? 26-09-2014 @ 23:08
- Yes of course this is the best option just go for it. Free classifieds ads websites | online advertising UK...
- Where can I get work experience? 26-09-2014 @ 23:00
- This is so beginner question how ever you can get experience with doing job at any reputable firm where the work burden should be higher. Free classifieds ads websites | Post free ads in UK | Cl...
- Buy Counterfeit EURO & DOLLAR NOTES ,UK birth certificate, work permits,travel documents, id 23-09-2014 @ 23:05
- Buy Counterfeit EURO & DOLLAR NOTES ,UK birth certificate, work permits,travel documents, id's(email@example.com) Buy Real Genuine data base Registered and Fake Passport, Drivers li...
- work experience 23-09-2014 @ 16:14
- I am full time student and i am in my second year at university doing Bachelor of Housing and i have a diploma in Architectural Design, but the one thing am really looking forward to is work expe...
- Many US law firms now have offices in the UK and offer training contracts and vacation schemes to talented students and graduates on this side of the pond. If you complete a training contract or...
- Choosing a Law Firm 09-04-2014 @ 12:36
- The legal market is big, tough and very competitive. There are many levels and varieties of law firms running in the market today and with detailed research and a clear idea of one’s own pr...
- Can I get a training contract with a 2:2? 09-04-2014 @ 12:30
- It’s the question we’re perennially asked on our AllAboutLaw Facebook fan page, is it possible to get a training contract with a 2:2? Before jumping in, if you're looking for...
- Training Contract Covering Letter 09-04-2014 @ 12:29
- Finding a training contract is hard enough without a bad covering letter letting you down. You might think your CV is the star of the show, but without a good supporting act, your application wil...
- Apres que adidas jeremy scott pas cher les sources syndicales dit 01-10-2014 @ 10:43
- Après que adidas jeremy scott pas cher les sources syndicales dit le peuple de ses stats seulement 4 NBA2K a atteint 90 points, Durant, dont 95 %. Journaliste d'ESPN que Marc Ster......
- Si chevalier asics gel excel 33 femme assez dur 01-10-2014 @ 10:41
- Si chevalier asics gel excel 33 femme assez dur, il aurait trouvé la seconde moitié de la dernière saison filets jeux vidéo assidûment : Kidd, puis encore e......
- Former le banc nike free run 3 homme de 01-10-2014 @ 10:40
- Former le banc nike free run 3 homme de pénalité tardive, manger faute technique balle a frappé les fans, adversaire de boxe banni, Miss 30 jeux, tir 40,7 %...... Entra&......
- Hansen est nike roshe run pas cher devenu le centre 01-10-2014 @ 10:39
- Hansen est nike roshe run pas cher devenu le centre de départ, faire de la nouvelle saison Sanders gagner aussi haut que 11 millions, classant les chefs d'équipe ? Traiteme......
- Dairy Crest buys milk firm out of administration, ... 14-03-2013 @ 10:21
- Dairy Crest has bought specialist milk business Proper Welsh Milk out of administration, saving 40 jobs....
- Applications for £120m Govt funding pot open in s... 14-03-2013 @ 10:21
- The money is being made available through the Government’s Advanced Manufacturing Supply Chain Initiative to support research and development, skills training and capital investment in th...
- High Street fund 'barely touched'... 14-03-2013 @ 10:20
- A £10m government fund set up a year ago to help bring empty shops back into use has barely been touched, according to Freedom of Information requests seen by the BBC....