All About UsAllAboutCareers is a social careers information website for everyone who wants to find out more about graduate schemes, apprenticeships, internships and other job-related shenanigans.
- Job Description
- Salary & Benefits
- Working Hours & Other Details
- Entry Route & Requirements
- Training & Progress
Maintenance engineers are responsible for maintaining and repairing the heavy machinery, plant equipment, tools and systems used in manufacturing, engineering and other industrial production processes.
Although your day-to-day activities and responsibilities will differ from industry to industry, your core activities will include: conducting periodic maintenance checks, planning equipment upgrades and machinery modifications, identifying faults, investigating equipment breakdowns and monitoring the performance of equipment after repairs have been carried out.
You may also be responsible for the procurement of new components for existing equipment, or replacing the entire set of machines after a prescribed period of usage is complete.
Maintenance engineers work in multi-disciplinary teams, which include plant and production personnel, manufacturing engineers, design engineers and other technical professionals, to ensure uninterrupted, efficient and quality-driven production or plant operations. In smaller organisations, the role of the maintenance engineer may be combined with that of the manufacturing engineer.
Salary & Benefits
Salaries for maintenance engineers in the early stages of their career generally range between £20,000 and £30,000 per annum, while salaries for engineers with more than ten years’ experience can earn around £35,000 to £48,000.
Working Hours & Other Details
Work schedules are planned around structured shifts in factory-based environments, though weekend and holiday period work is rare. This is because lower-level maintenance technicians are usually the ones on-call in the event of breakdowns. Indeed, senior maintenance engineers may only be called upon when serious breakdowns occur.
Maintenance engineers are primarily based on site, i.e. manufacturing plants or production facilities.
Entry Route & Requirements
A degree in any engineering field (2:2 minimum) is the basic requirement for entry into this profession, though it should be noted that a degree in mechanical engineering, production engineering or electrical engineering may be preferred by many employers.
Alternatively, you can enter this line of work as a lower-level maintenance technician via an apprenticeship programme, or with a relevant vocational qualification.
Gaining prior work experience through vacation schemes or industrial training programmes will also be vital for improving your chances of finding employment.
Training & Progress
The majority of major employers in this industry now offer graduate development schemes to help develop new talent. An important component of these programmes is helping entry-level employees to complete the necessary requirements for becoming a chartered engineer, including obtaining membership of relevant professional organisations, such as the Institution of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE).
Achieving incorporated or chartered engineer status is also important for gaining recognition and initiating upward career progression.
Maintenance engineers choose to move laterally into different engineering functions such as design or technical sales. However, some may choose to take on managerial responsibilities, which may involve managing a large team of technicians and trainee engineers.
What’s going on?
- Where can I get work experience? 05-03-2014 @ 19:37
- The SEO article composing administrations will likewise be overall educated about the time it takes for a task to be finished. They will accordingly furnish you with a genuine evaluation of the t...
- Should I apply an international internship in NSC 28-02-2014 @ 23:49
- Very good information .... Thanks guy... _____________________________ ProPapersWriting...
- Legal Director 19-02-2014 @ 12:56
- ROLE PURPOSE To act as one of a team of Legal Directors, working in close collaboration with both the Office of the General Counsel and relevant directorate and project teams, to lead the delive...
- Where can I get work experience? 19-02-2014 @ 09:19
- Hi, What kind of work experience you want? You can search the local companies related to your degree, visit the companies, Meet the admin manager and submit your CV for internship. I got my first...
- Traditionally, front office staff are the folks in contact with the consumers or clients, whilst the back office staff are the people behind-the-scenes working in administrative or support roles....
- A Day in the Life of a Chartered Architectural Technologist 25-02-2013 @ 15:44
- My typical working week… As a Chartered Architectural Technologist (MCIAT), I will always have a varied day. I work a standard working week. My hours are 9am til 5.30pm, but I tend to...
- National Audit Office’s School Leaver Scheme: My Experience 14-02-2013 @ 17:26
- Accountancy school leavers’ programme or university? It was in my final year of college that I decided that I wanted to pursue a career in accountancy. I looked in to the options avai...
- Accountancy: Payroll Career Paths 14-02-2013 @ 11:22
- Accountancy is an incredibly varied profession with a large number of different roles available within the industry. Payroll is increasingly important for businesses; the majority of companies ...
- The most effective method to Make Your Dissertation an Enjoyable Read 08-03-2014 @ 20:48
- Composing scholastic assignments isn't the most energizing point you will ever go over! In any case, your thesis does not have to be a "dry" read. Firstly, it is significant that y......
- Paper Writing Tips - 6 Steps to Writing a Great Essay 08-03-2014 @ 19:10
- Assuming that written work an exposition would appear to be an overwhelming background, then figuring out how to separate the methodology into various simple steps will provide for you the certai......
- A few Tips on The Basic Structure of a Good Thesis Format 01-03-2014 @ 23:52
- Assuming that you've never composed a proposal previously, you realize that the first occasion when you're asked to do in this way, you may feel a smidge unsure of precisely what a postul......
- Geotechnical engineering 26-02-2014 @ 09:34
- Can a person who did his engineering in architecture or civil become a geotechnical engineer and work with environmental service or geotechnical companies? What are the main services included in ......
- Dairy Crest buys milk firm out of administration, ... 14-03-2013 @ 10:21
- Dairy Crest has bought specialist milk business Proper Welsh Milk out of administration, saving 40 jobs....
- Applications for £120m Govt funding pot open in s... 14-03-2013 @ 10:21
- The money is being made available through the Government’s Advanced Manufacturing Supply Chain Initiative to support research and development, skills training and capital investment in th...
- High Street fund 'barely touched'... 14-03-2013 @ 10:20
- A £10m government fund set up a year ago to help bring empty shops back into use has barely been touched, according to Freedom of Information requests seen by the BBC....