All About UsAllAboutCareers is a social careers information website for everyone who wants to find out more about graduate schemes, apprenticeships, internships and other job-related shenanigans.
- Job Description
- Salary & Benefits
- Working Hours & Other Details
- Entry Route & Requirements
- Training & Progress
Maintenance engineers are responsible for maintaining and repairing the heavy machinery, plant equipment, tools and systems used in manufacturing, engineering and other industrial production processes.
Although your day-to-day activities and responsibilities will differ from industry to industry, your core activities will include: conducting periodic maintenance checks, planning equipment upgrades and machinery modifications, identifying faults, investigating equipment breakdowns and monitoring the performance of equipment after repairs have been carried out.
You may also be responsible for the procurement of new components for existing equipment, or replacing the entire set of machines after a prescribed period of usage is complete.
Maintenance engineers work in multi-disciplinary teams, which include plant and production personnel, manufacturing engineers, design engineers and other technical professionals, to ensure uninterrupted, efficient and quality-driven production or plant operations. In smaller organisations, the role of the maintenance engineer may be combined with that of the manufacturing engineer.
Salary & Benefits
Salaries for maintenance engineers in the early stages of their career generally range between £20,000 and £30,000 per annum, while salaries for engineers with more than ten years’ experience can earn around £35,000 to £48,000.
Working Hours & Other Details
Work schedules are planned around structured shifts in factory-based environments, though weekend and holiday period work is rare. This is because lower-level maintenance technicians are usually the ones on-call in the event of breakdowns. Indeed, senior maintenance engineers may only be called upon when serious breakdowns occur.
Maintenance engineers are primarily based on site, i.e. manufacturing plants or production facilities.
Entry Route & Requirements
A degree in any engineering field (2:2 minimum) is the basic requirement for entry into this profession, though it should be noted that a degree in mechanical engineering, production engineering or electrical engineering may be preferred by many employers.
Alternatively, you can enter this line of work as a lower-level maintenance technician via an apprenticeship programme, or with a relevant vocational qualification.
Gaining prior work experience through vacation schemes or industrial training programmes will also be vital for improving your chances of finding employment.
Training & Progress
The majority of major employers in this industry now offer graduate development schemes to help develop new talent. An important component of these programmes is helping entry-level employees to complete the necessary requirements for becoming a chartered engineer, including obtaining membership of relevant professional organisations, such as the Institution of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE).
Achieving incorporated or chartered engineer status is also important for gaining recognition and initiating upward career progression.
Maintenance engineers choose to move laterally into different engineering functions such as design or technical sales. However, some may choose to take on managerial responsibilities, which may involve managing a large team of technicians and trainee engineers.
What’s going on?
- How MBA Programmes creating future leader 03-04-2014 @ 06:46
- Really interested in learning more about marketing & promoting myself more effectively thank your time...
- How to Become a Mortgage Broker? 24-03-2014 @ 04:54
- Spontaneous marketing skills , ability to deal with different circumstances , self confidence are the basic qualities a mortgage broker( http://www.northwoodmortgage.com/careers ) should have. If...
- Am I a right candidate ? 24-03-2014 @ 04:31
- If you are well versed in marketing skills , have a passion for lifelong learning , have good communication skills and self confidence boost in you then you have a bright future as a "Mortgage B...
- Am I a right candidate ? 24-03-2014 @ 04:22
- If you are well versed in marketing skills , have a passion for lifelong learning , have good communication skills and self confidence boost in you then you have . But these are just basic quali...
- Many US law firms now have offices in the UK and offer training contracts and vacation schemes to talented students and graduates on this side of the pond. If you complete a training contract or...
- Choosing a Law Firm 09-04-2014 @ 12:36
- The legal market is big, tough and very competitive. There are many levels and varieties of law firms running in the market today and with detailed research and a clear idea of one’s own pr...
- Can I get a training contract with a 2:2? 09-04-2014 @ 12:30
- It’s the question we’re perennially asked on our AllAboutLaw Facebook fan page, is it possible to get a training contract with a 2:2? Before jumping in, if you're looking for...
- Training Contract Covering Letter 09-04-2014 @ 12:29
- Finding a training contract is hard enough without a bad covering letter letting you down. You might think your CV is the star of the show, but without a good supporting act, your application wil...
- How To Write A Superb Economics Assignment 16-04-2014 @ 11:03
- Without any doubt it is true to say that economic is a boring subject. And this is a reason why student faces a number of hurdles while writing their economic assignment. Mostly professors assign......
- I do not know that he is not willing to do. 10-04-2014 @ 02:45
- I do not know that he is not willing to do. About BarcelonaLet me give my team a lot of videos of Barcelona, but not the way they play, but the way they celebrate. They went into the countless ba......
- Write Articles That Attract Traffic - 3 Tips 10-04-2014 @ 02:19
- The most effective method to Write Articles That Attract Traffic - 3 Tips Cheap Essay Online: Composing substance online to tell others about you or your business is one of the most established ......
- This will assemble trust with your followers 09-04-2014 @ 01:49
- You have the experience and capabilities to expound on that point. This will assemble trust with your followers and admiration as well. Nonetheless, be watchful on the off chance that you presen......
- Dairy Crest buys milk firm out of administration, ... 14-03-2013 @ 10:21
- Dairy Crest has bought specialist milk business Proper Welsh Milk out of administration, saving 40 jobs....
- Applications for £120m Govt funding pot open in s... 14-03-2013 @ 10:21
- The money is being made available through the Government’s Advanced Manufacturing Supply Chain Initiative to support research and development, skills training and capital investment in th...
- High Street fund 'barely touched'... 14-03-2013 @ 10:20
- A £10m government fund set up a year ago to help bring empty shops back into use has barely been touched, according to Freedom of Information requests seen by the BBC....