All About UsAllAboutCareers is a social careers information website for everyone who wants to find out more about graduate schemes, apprenticeships, internships and other job-related shenanigans.
- Job Description
- Salary & Benefits
- Working Hours & Other Details
- Entry Route & Requirements
- Training & Progress
An I.T. consultant is a technical specialist who works with clients across all kinds of businesses and industries.
The consultant primarily provides advice on incorporating or integrating information technology systems to increase commercial efficiency and improve processes, service delivery, customer relationships, capital expenditure and above all, profitability and shareholder value.
I.T. consultants work as a bridge between users and the technical team, understanding both client requirements, and business investments and expected Return on Investment (ROI).
They prepare specifications on I.T. infrastructure and facilitate and monitor system implementation, completing the necessary documentation and supervising clients through the full technology life cycle.
Salary & Benefits
Trainee consultant salaries range between £20,000 and £35,000, along with core and variable annual benefits, while packages for experienced consultants or those with industry-recognised certifications are upwards of £45,000, not including performance-driven annual bonuses, share options and a full basket of health, lifestyle and travel benefits.
Working Hours & Other Details
I.T. consultants travel frequently across the country and even overseas, depending on the size of the client base and the organisation’s reputation.
While on projects, consultants are mainly based on customer premises, with 25% of their time spent at the home office. Working hours are standard – 35-40 hours per week – but increase during critical periods.
Entry Route & Requirements
Strong graduate degrees (2:1 or above) in relevant disciplines such as software engineering, computer science, or mathematics, are preferred.
However, graduates with degrees in other disciplines and who can demonstrate a strong interest and knowledge of I.T. are also considered.
Individuals who have work experience and who are highly motivated, confident and ambitious are ideal candidates for an I.T. consultant role.
Training & Progress
Most I.T. consultants start out as graduate trainees in consultancy firms and companies, undertaking an on-the-job training programme over a period of 12-24 months.
Training includes business and technical skills, such as programming languages, coding and enterprise applications such as SAP and Oracle. Initial work experience is through work shadowing and project placements, with independent responsibilities allocated as skills and expertise develop.
Industry-recognised professional credentials are governed by the Chartered Institute for I.T.
Consultants can choose between specialising in a specific type of technology or taking up a generalist role with a focus on business development, training and project management.
Progression towards the upper levels of the consultancy industry depends on performance, skills, experience and type and size of the organisation.
What’s going on?
- Should I go to university? 14-07-2014 @ 14:15
- hello, I was just wondering ''is it fun at university or nah'' because I really want to go but if its not fun then I wont go because it costs a lot of money and I could spend that money on someth...
- MBA in Hospital and Health Care Management 09-07-2014 @ 07:54
- If you have keen interest in management and medical both than doing MBA in hospital and health care management could be good option for your. Kohinoor Business school offers a management degree i...
- Is human resources a woman's world? 09-07-2014 @ 07:50
- Doing MBA in HR management is the first choice of every female students the reason behind this is the natural quality of women to manage the people. Another is safe and good career growth options...
- Solar Module Mounting 09-07-2014 @ 07:39
- Solar module mounting is technique to get electricity power from solar light by installing solar panels in a proper way. There is huge market of manufacturing and selling solar products. Satec en...
- Many US law firms now have offices in the UK and offer training contracts and vacation schemes to talented students and graduates on this side of the pond. If you complete a training contract or...
- Choosing a Law Firm 09-04-2014 @ 12:36
- The legal market is big, tough and very competitive. There are many levels and varieties of law firms running in the market today and with detailed research and a clear idea of one’s own pr...
- Can I get a training contract with a 2:2? 09-04-2014 @ 12:30
- It’s the question we’re perennially asked on our AllAboutLaw Facebook fan page, is it possible to get a training contract with a 2:2? Before jumping in, if you're looking for...
- Training Contract Covering Letter 09-04-2014 @ 12:29
- Finding a training contract is hard enough without a bad covering letter letting you down. You might think your CV is the star of the show, but without a good supporting act, your application wil...
- The same thing happens in Chris 28-07-2014 @ 08:46
- The same thing happens in Chris Bosh and LeBron James when I watch cheap new balance 580 football games together. "We are a professional basketball player, so he know what basketball do......
- A good memory is so important 28-07-2014 @ 08:46
- A good memory is so important, because it allows James to become new balance 999 uk unique. "Sometimes we open for a while before the team meeting in the morning Classic race on TV. &qu......
- In June 2013 new balance 576 uk the NBA 28-07-2014 @ 08:46
- In June 2013 new balance 576 uk the NBA Finals completed a third war in its entirety. James was sitting on the bus to hotel. Now, Spurs ' rout of the Miami Heat, and made a series of 2:1......
- Knight new balance 996 women James 28-07-2014 @ 08:45
- Knight new balance 996 women James rolled into the finals, were swept by the San Antonio Spurs out of the game. Popovich knows James's features, so he worked out his defense policy are v......
- Dairy Crest buys milk firm out of administration, ... 14-03-2013 @ 10:21
- Dairy Crest has bought specialist milk business Proper Welsh Milk out of administration, saving 40 jobs....
- Applications for £120m Govt funding pot open in s... 14-03-2013 @ 10:21
- The money is being made available through the Government’s Advanced Manufacturing Supply Chain Initiative to support research and development, skills training and capital investment in th...
- High Street fund 'barely touched'... 14-03-2013 @ 10:20
- A £10m government fund set up a year ago to help bring empty shops back into use has barely been touched, according to Freedom of Information requests seen by the BBC....