All About UsAllAboutCareers is a social careers information website for everyone who wants to find out more about graduate schemes, apprenticeships, internships and other job-related shenanigans.
- Job Description
- Salary & Benefits
- Working Hours & Other Details
- Entry Route & Requirements
- Training & Progress
An I.T. consultant is a technical specialist who works with clients across all kinds of businesses and industries.
The consultant primarily provides advice on incorporating or integrating information technology systems to increase commercial efficiency and improve processes, service delivery, customer relationships, capital expenditure and above all, profitability and shareholder value.
I.T. consultants work as a bridge between users and the technical team, understanding both client requirements, and business investments and expected Return on Investment (ROI).
They prepare specifications on I.T. infrastructure and facilitate and monitor system implementation, completing the necessary documentation and supervising clients through the full technology life cycle.
Salary & Benefits
Trainee consultant salaries range between £20,000 and £35,000, along with core and variable annual benefits, while packages for experienced consultants or those with industry-recognised certifications are upwards of £45,000, not including performance-driven annual bonuses, share options and a full basket of health, lifestyle and travel benefits.
Working Hours & Other Details
I.T. consultants travel frequently across the country and even overseas, depending on the size of the client base and the organisation’s reputation.
While on projects, consultants are mainly based on customer premises, with 25% of their time spent at the home office. Working hours are standard – 35-40 hours per week – but increase during critical periods.
Entry Route & Requirements
Strong graduate degrees (2:1 or above) in relevant disciplines such as software engineering, computer science, or mathematics, are preferred.
However, graduates with degrees in other disciplines and who can demonstrate a strong interest and knowledge of I.T. are also considered.
Individuals who have work experience and who are highly motivated, confident and ambitious are ideal candidates for an I.T. consultant role.
Training & Progress
Most I.T. consultants start out as graduate trainees in consultancy firms and companies, undertaking an on-the-job training programme over a period of 12-24 months.
Training includes business and technical skills, such as programming languages, coding and enterprise applications such as SAP and Oracle. Initial work experience is through work shadowing and project placements, with independent responsibilities allocated as skills and expertise develop.
Industry-recognised professional credentials are governed by the Chartered Institute for I.T.
Consultants can choose between specialising in a specific type of technology or taking up a generalist role with a focus on business development, training and project management.
Progression towards the upper levels of the consultancy industry depends on performance, skills, experience and type and size of the organisation.
What’s going on?
- Latest Transport & Logistics news from around the world 24-11-2014 @ 23:20
- Buy High Quality Real/Novelty Document...
- Does anyone know what you call the people who look for oil or gas called? 24-11-2014 @ 09:32
- It's essential to retrieve, that approaches to opinion info originate at school besides college. If learners write endeavors by their acknowledge, they are versatile to decide amend info. Else, i...
- How to prepare for Certified Actuarial Analyst course ? 14-11-2014 @ 09:00
- Hi, Can anybody please suggest where I may be able to prepare for the Certified Actuarial Analyst course from apart from bppacted and eclonline.com ? Thanks, you help is much appreciated....
- Is human resources a woman's world? 13-11-2014 @ 22:46
- It's essential to recollect, that approaches to opinion info spring at school moreover college. If undergraduates indite writings by their have, they are strong to decide adjust info. Else, in ca...
- Many US law firms now have offices in the UK and offer training contracts and vacation schemes to talented students and graduates on this side of the pond. If you complete a training contract or...
- Choosing a Law Firm 09-04-2014 @ 12:36
- The legal market is big, tough and very competitive. There are many levels and varieties of law firms running in the market today and with detailed research and a clear idea of one’s own pr...
- Can I get a training contract with a 2:2? 09-04-2014 @ 12:30
- It’s the question we’re perennially asked on our AllAboutLaw Facebook fan page, is it possible to get a training contract with a 2:2? Before jumping in, if you're looking for...
- Training Contract Covering Letter 09-04-2014 @ 12:29
- Finding a training contract is hard enough without a bad covering letter letting you down. You might think your CV is the star of the show, but without a good supporting act, your application wil...
- la propagation de maladies et de ravageurs 25-11-2014 @ 01:12
- Pour traiter les citoyens chinois pour communiquer et entrer en contact avec les affaires étrangères province de Anhui, a informé les familles des victimes. D'éch......
- Après encouragés par beaucoup, a couru 25-11-2014 @ 01:07
- Et le ? département de construction domiciliaire ?, "Automotive News" 13 ce qu'on appelle "spécialité département" sera mix et gestion des ent......
- mais n'a pas voir les financiers bilans du 25-11-2014 @ 01:02
- Lui-même, pas quelque chose à fêter ? "Ce qui signifie laisser conduire avec ses amis quelque souffle de glace. En raison de la face, Cheng a réussi à achet......
- faire quelque chose. Les prochains médias 25-11-2014 @ 00:55
- Prédiction de l'environnement, surveillant la station, d'hier jusqu'à la fin du mois, région sud de Beijing-Tianjin-Hebei aura lieu en continu de modér&ea......
- Dairy Crest buys milk firm out of administration, ... 14-03-2013 @ 10:21
- Dairy Crest has bought specialist milk business Proper Welsh Milk out of administration, saving 40 jobs....
- Applications for £120m Govt funding pot open in s... 14-03-2013 @ 10:21
- The money is being made available through the Government’s Advanced Manufacturing Supply Chain Initiative to support research and development, skills training and capital investment in th...
- High Street fund 'barely touched'... 14-03-2013 @ 10:20
- A £10m government fund set up a year ago to help bring empty shops back into use has barely been touched, according to Freedom of Information requests seen by the BBC....