All About UsAllAboutCareers is a social careers information website for everyone who wants to find out more about graduate schemes, apprenticeships, internships and other job-related shenanigans.
- Job Description
- Salary & Benefits
- Working Hours & Other Details
- Entry Route & Requirements
- Training & Progress
Immigration officers are tasked with monitoring and controlling the entry of people through various entry points across UK borders, such as airports, the Channel Tunnel and seaports.
Activities include scrutinising passenger documentation, interviewing passengers, and gathering intelligence information for case records.
Immigration officers need to be aware of the latest legislation, rules and regulations governing immigration, and to liaise with other UK agencies and authorities, such as law enforcement, customs and revenue officials and intelligence agencies.
Salary & Benefits
Junior or assistant immigration officers earn between £15,000 and £17,000 per annum.
Full on immigration officers earn around £25,000 and senior immigration officers can earn between £25,000 and £35,000.
Officers also receive additional pay for working on weekends, and officers successfully completing departmental examinations in various languages receive an allowance to do so.
Working Hours & Other Details
Working hours are shift-based and include day, night, weekend and holiday shifts, since the department operates around the clock. Immigrants don’t sleep when it gets dark, so why should you?!
Officers may be placed across several locations in the UK and may move offices once every few years on transfers and short-term postings.
All officers are bound by civil service rules, which restrict activities that compromise or conflict with their responsibilities.
Entry Route & Requirements
Graduates can apply directly for immigration jobs, but there is no separate graduate scheme available. Another option is to apply through the Civil Service Fast Stream for graduates, but there is no guarantee that you will be posted in the immigration department.
Candidates need to fulfil statutory eligibility requirements pertaining to nationality, security clearances, background checks and criminal convictions.
Training & Progress
Initial training is comprised of five weeks of formal training and four weeks of on-the-job operational training. Training covers all important aspects such as immigration law, professional conduct, interviewing and reporting.
Post training officers begin full-time work under senior supervision and periodic training is conducted throughout the job tenure. Career progression is based on individual performance and departmental policies.
What’s going on?
- Should I go to university? 14-07-2014 @ 14:15
- hello, I was just wondering ''is it fun at university or nah'' because I really want to go but if its not fun then I wont go because it costs a lot of money and I could spend that money on someth...
- MBA in Hospital and Health Care Management 09-07-2014 @ 07:54
- If you have keen interest in management and medical both than doing MBA in hospital and health care management could be good option for your. Kohinoor Business school offers a management degree i...
- Is human resources a woman's world? 09-07-2014 @ 07:50
- Doing MBA in HR management is the first choice of every female students the reason behind this is the natural quality of women to manage the people. Another is safe and good career growth options...
- Solar Module Mounting 09-07-2014 @ 07:39
- Solar module mounting is technique to get electricity power from solar light by installing solar panels in a proper way. There is huge market of manufacturing and selling solar products. Satec en...
- Many US law firms now have offices in the UK and offer training contracts and vacation schemes to talented students and graduates on this side of the pond. If you complete a training contract or...
- Choosing a Law Firm 09-04-2014 @ 12:36
- The legal market is big, tough and very competitive. There are many levels and varieties of law firms running in the market today and with detailed research and a clear idea of one’s own pr...
- Can I get a training contract with a 2:2? 09-04-2014 @ 12:30
- It’s the question we’re perennially asked on our AllAboutLaw Facebook fan page, is it possible to get a training contract with a 2:2? Before jumping in, if you're looking for...
- Training Contract Covering Letter 09-04-2014 @ 12:29
- Finding a training contract is hard enough without a bad covering letter letting you down. You might think your CV is the star of the show, but without a good supporting act, your application wil...
- Very happy to asics gel noosa tri 8 uk join Basel 25-07-2014 @ 08:23
- Very happy to asics gel noosa tri 8 uk join Basel, looking at Switzerland League for a new challenge. "Samuel in 2000 after landing in Europe, has played for Roma, Real Madrid and Inter......
- Basel is asics tarther 30th uk Switzerland 25-07-2014 @ 08:22
- Basel is asics tarther 30th uk Switzerland one of the most successful team in the League last season with 19 WINS, 15 draws and 2 defeats grades, with 72 points to get Switzerland Super Leag......
- Although Samuel asics gel lyte v uk for inter 25-07-2014 @ 08:22
- Although Samuel asics gel lyte v uk for inter effectiveness of 9 a season total appearances 236 times, quarter are only 26 times, but he is in inter completed serie a, and Italy Cup and Cham......
- The past two asics gel hyper 33 2 cheap seasons 25-07-2014 @ 08:21
- The past two asics gel hyper 33 2 cheap seasons, although only 30 League appearances for inter, but as centre-back Player of the scoring outburst, he also is a contribution to the Nerazzurri......
- Dairy Crest buys milk firm out of administration, ... 14-03-2013 @ 10:21
- Dairy Crest has bought specialist milk business Proper Welsh Milk out of administration, saving 40 jobs....
- Applications for £120m Govt funding pot open in s... 14-03-2013 @ 10:21
- The money is being made available through the Government’s Advanced Manufacturing Supply Chain Initiative to support research and development, skills training and capital investment in th...
- High Street fund 'barely touched'... 14-03-2013 @ 10:20
- A £10m government fund set up a year ago to help bring empty shops back into use has barely been touched, according to Freedom of Information requests seen by the BBC....