All About UsAllAboutCareers is a social careers information website for everyone who wants to find out more about graduate schemes, apprenticeships, internships and other job-related shenanigans.
- Job Description
- Salary & Benefits
- Working Hours & Other Details
- Entry Route & Requirements
- Training & Progress
Immigration officers are tasked with monitoring and controlling the entry of people through various entry points across UK borders, such as airports, the Channel Tunnel and seaports.
Activities include scrutinising passenger documentation, interviewing passengers, and gathering intelligence information for case records.
Immigration officers need to be aware of the latest legislation, rules and regulations governing immigration, and to liaise with other UK agencies and authorities, such as law enforcement, customs and revenue officials and intelligence agencies.
Salary & Benefits
Junior or assistant immigration officers earn between £15,000 and £17,000 per annum.
Full on immigration officers earn around £25,000 and senior immigration officers can earn between £25,000 and £35,000.
Officers also receive additional pay for working on weekends, and officers successfully completing departmental examinations in various languages receive an allowance to do so.
Working Hours & Other Details
Working hours are shift-based and include day, night, weekend and holiday shifts, since the department operates around the clock. Immigrants don’t sleep when it gets dark, so why should you?!
Officers may be placed across several locations in the UK and may move offices once every few years on transfers and short-term postings.
All officers are bound by civil service rules, which restrict activities that compromise or conflict with their responsibilities.
Entry Route & Requirements
Graduates can apply directly for immigration jobs, but there is no separate graduate scheme available. Another option is to apply through the Civil Service Fast Stream for graduates, but there is no guarantee that you will be posted in the immigration department.
Candidates need to fulfil statutory eligibility requirements pertaining to nationality, security clearances, background checks and criminal convictions.
Training & Progress
Initial training is comprised of five weeks of formal training and four weeks of on-the-job operational training. Training covers all important aspects such as immigration law, professional conduct, interviewing and reporting.
Post training officers begin full-time work under senior supervision and periodic training is conducted throughout the job tenure. Career progression is based on individual performance and departmental policies.
What’s going on?
- Should I apply an international internship in NSC 17-10-2014 @ 12:27
- thats a good idea .. and what is it that you do ?? ...
- Should I apply an international internship in NSC 17-10-2014 @ 11:54
- its a good thing to do an internship right after your graduation.it will be beneficial for your career don't think about the industry just try to learn something first then go for the big names.p...
- Should I apply an international internship in NSC 17-10-2014 @ 08:38
- Same is over here that this is really very nice post. Keep up the awesome work. Thanks for sharing your great work and letting me to say about it. custom research papers...
- BUY REAL AND FAKE PASSPORT,VISA,ID,DL ETC.(email@example.com) 11-10-2014 @ 10:21
- Best Quality Novelty Fake IDs and Passports (firstname.lastname@example.org) Best Quality Novelty Fake IDs and Passports, Marriage certificates and Drivers license etc buy now high quality-We have the b...
- Many US law firms now have offices in the UK and offer training contracts and vacation schemes to talented students and graduates on this side of the pond. If you complete a training contract or...
- Choosing a Law Firm 09-04-2014 @ 12:36
- The legal market is big, tough and very competitive. There are many levels and varieties of law firms running in the market today and with detailed research and a clear idea of one’s own pr...
- Can I get a training contract with a 2:2? 09-04-2014 @ 12:30
- It’s the question we’re perennially asked on our AllAboutLaw Facebook fan page, is it possible to get a training contract with a 2:2? Before jumping in, if you're looking for...
- Training Contract Covering Letter 09-04-2014 @ 12:29
- Finding a training contract is hard enough without a bad covering letter letting you down. You might think your CV is the star of the show, but without a good supporting act, your application wil...
- At this point Serbia Basta team players towards referee 24-10-2014 @ 07:54
- Pioneer nike footscape free salemarking the tactics-oriented setting, and from time to time to be paired up with little Mo, was even worse Lillard defense situation. He also had guards 5th from t......
- He did not in fact characterised by this at least not 24-10-2014 @ 07:53
- Next cheap nike flyknit lunar 1+shot near 30%, and make a free throw percentage in PG 20, always penalty goal (87.1%). So while 42.4% from respectability, Lillard real hit was enough to top ......
- Asian Games and now whether it is physical or mood 24-10-2014 @ 07:53
- Bull asics gel noosa tri 8 womens sale with Jackson when available. However, in an interview, Ning Zetao unabashedly say that "feeling a little tired today." Asked why, he said: "m......
- In fact Dennis Rodman career won a total of 5 24-10-2014 @ 07:50
- Class adidas springblade cheapcollaboration and cooperation with global events, such as FIBA's top competitions in order to meet peak demand. "He (Smith) is perhaps in this team now, wit......
- Dairy Crest buys milk firm out of administration, ... 14-03-2013 @ 10:21
- Dairy Crest has bought specialist milk business Proper Welsh Milk out of administration, saving 40 jobs....
- Applications for £120m Govt funding pot open in s... 14-03-2013 @ 10:21
- The money is being made available through the Government’s Advanced Manufacturing Supply Chain Initiative to support research and development, skills training and capital investment in th...
- High Street fund 'barely touched'... 14-03-2013 @ 10:20
- A £10m government fund set up a year ago to help bring empty shops back into use has barely been touched, according to Freedom of Information requests seen by the BBC....