All About UsAllAboutCareers is a social careers information website for everyone who wants to find out more about graduate schemes, apprenticeships, internships and other job-related shenanigans.
- Job Description
- Salary & Benefits
- Working Hours & Other Details
- Entry Route & Requirements
- Training & Progress
Immigration officers are tasked with monitoring and controlling the entry of people through various entry points across UK borders, such as airports, the Channel Tunnel and seaports.
Activities include scrutinising passenger documentation, interviewing passengers, and gathering intelligence information for case records.
Immigration officers need to be aware of the latest legislation, rules and regulations governing immigration, and to liaise with other UK agencies and authorities, such as law enforcement, customs and revenue officials and intelligence agencies.
Salary & Benefits
Junior or assistant immigration officers earn between £15,000 and £17,000 per annum.
Full on immigration officers earn around £25,000 and senior immigration officers can earn between £25,000 and £35,000.
Officers also receive additional pay for working on weekends, and officers successfully completing departmental examinations in various languages receive an allowance to do so.
Working Hours & Other Details
Working hours are shift-based and include day, night, weekend and holiday shifts, since the department operates around the clock. Immigrants don’t sleep when it gets dark, so why should you?!
Officers may be placed across several locations in the UK and may move offices once every few years on transfers and short-term postings.
All officers are bound by civil service rules, which restrict activities that compromise or conflict with their responsibilities.
Entry Route & Requirements
Graduates can apply directly for immigration jobs, but there is no separate graduate scheme available. Another option is to apply through the Civil Service Fast Stream for graduates, but there is no guarantee that you will be posted in the immigration department.
Candidates need to fulfil statutory eligibility requirements pertaining to nationality, security clearances, background checks and criminal convictions.
Training & Progress
Initial training is comprised of five weeks of formal training and four weeks of on-the-job operational training. Training covers all important aspects such as immigration law, professional conduct, interviewing and reporting.
Post training officers begin full-time work under senior supervision and periodic training is conducted throughout the job tenure. Career progression is based on individual performance and departmental policies.
What’s going on?
- Where can I get work experience? 05-03-2014 @ 19:37
- The SEO article composing administrations will likewise be overall educated about the time it takes for a task to be finished. They will accordingly furnish you with a genuine evaluation of the t...
- Should I apply an international internship in NSC 28-02-2014 @ 23:49
- Very good information .... Thanks guy... _____________________________ ProPapersWriting...
- Legal Director 19-02-2014 @ 12:56
- ROLE PURPOSE To act as one of a team of Legal Directors, working in close collaboration with both the Office of the General Counsel and relevant directorate and project teams, to lead the delive...
- Where can I get work experience? 19-02-2014 @ 09:19
- Hi, What kind of work experience you want? You can search the local companies related to your degree, visit the companies, Meet the admin manager and submit your CV for internship. I got my first...
- Traditionally, front office staff are the folks in contact with the consumers or clients, whilst the back office staff are the people behind-the-scenes working in administrative or support roles....
- A Day in the Life of a Chartered Architectural Technologist 25-02-2013 @ 15:44
- My typical working week… As a Chartered Architectural Technologist (MCIAT), I will always have a varied day. I work a standard working week. My hours are 9am til 5.30pm, but I tend to...
- National Audit Office’s School Leaver Scheme: My Experience 14-02-2013 @ 17:26
- Accountancy school leavers’ programme or university? It was in my final year of college that I decided that I wanted to pursue a career in accountancy. I looked in to the options avai...
- Accountancy: Payroll Career Paths 14-02-2013 @ 11:22
- Accountancy is an incredibly varied profession with a large number of different roles available within the industry. Payroll is increasingly important for businesses; the majority of companies ...
- E-keeping money (Online Banking) and Its part in Today's Society 10-03-2014 @ 19:32
- The world is changing at a stunning rate and engineering is acknowledged to be the key driver for these progressions aroundus (Papers4you.com, 2006). An investigation of innovation and its uses d......
- What Is Thesis Theme 10-03-2014 @ 18:14
- in the event that you have an online journal website and you need to upgrade it or provide for it a cosmetic touch upregarding colors and fonts, then you will probably utilize the least difficult......
- The most effective method to Make Your Dissertation an Enjoyable Read 08-03-2014 @ 20:48
- Composing scholastic assignments isn't the most energizing point you will ever go over! In any case, your thesis does not have to be a "dry" read. Firstly, it is significant that y......
- Paper Writing Tips - 6 Steps to Writing a Great Essay 08-03-2014 @ 19:10
- Assuming that written work an exposition would appear to be an overwhelming background, then figuring out how to separate the methodology into various simple steps will provide for you the certai......
- Dairy Crest buys milk firm out of administration, ... 14-03-2013 @ 10:21
- Dairy Crest has bought specialist milk business Proper Welsh Milk out of administration, saving 40 jobs....
- Applications for £120m Govt funding pot open in s... 14-03-2013 @ 10:21
- The money is being made available through the Government’s Advanced Manufacturing Supply Chain Initiative to support research and development, skills training and capital investment in th...
- High Street fund 'barely touched'... 14-03-2013 @ 10:20
- A £10m government fund set up a year ago to help bring empty shops back into use has barely been touched, according to Freedom of Information requests seen by the BBC....