All About UsAllAboutCareers is a social careers information website for everyone who wants to find out more about graduate schemes, apprenticeships, internships and other job-related shenanigans.
- Job Description
- Salary & Benefits
- Working Hours & Other Details
- Entry Route & Requirements
- Training & Progress
Hydrogeologists are expert scientists who specialise in the study of groundwater. These clever people monitor and analyse the movement, distribution and quality of water below the earth’s surface in an attempt to maintain, conserve and manage these incredibly valuable resources.
Hydrogeologists spend a large part of their time out in the field collecting data on all kinds of hydrogeological properties, from porosity and hydrodynamic dispersion to molecular diffusion and hydraulic conductivity.
As part of this process, hydrogeologists are responsible for organising the drilling of boreholes so that groundwater samples can be taken. They also use less invasive techniques and equipment to collect data, such as geographical information systems (GIS).
Once they have conducted their investigations, hydrogeologists spend their time in a laboratory or office analysing, evaluating and unravelling the data that they have collected.
They are then tasked with presenting the data in a concise and accessible manner. This process usually involves writing reports and using advanced computer software to model groundwater flow and geological structures.
These digital models and reports are then used to assess the impact of proposed construction work, agricultural developments and mining projects on groundwater resources. This is vital in the prevention of human activity which might have a detrimental effect on the environment.
Hydrogeologists can also work abroad for water charities, such as WaterAid, where they will be locating groundwater resources in communities that have been affected by devastating droughts or diseases caused by contaminated water supplies. This work is vital for the production of pumps and wells, which will provide people with fresh, clean water, thereby saving countless lives.
Salary & Benefits
Entry-level hydrogeologists tend to earn between £19,000 and £24,000 per annum, while experienced hydrogeologists can earn anywhere between £28,000 and £47,000.
Some senior hydrogeologists with managerial responsibilities can earn up to £65,000 a year.
Working Hours & Other Details
Hydrogeologists typically work five days a week, nine-to-five. However, you may be required to work longer hours from time to time to meet project deadlines.
Travelling, both domestically and internationally, is a regular occurrence for most hydrogeologists.
A large part of your professional life will also be spent in the great outdoors, so be prepared to work in all kinds of weather.
Entry Route & Requirements
To enter this line of work, you will need an undergraduate degree in a scientific or engineering subject and a postgraduate degree in a relevant subject, such as hydrogeology, environmental geoscience, geology, or geochemistry.
Only a handful of universities offer postgraduate courses in hydrogeology. Check out our Courses section to find out more.
If you complete an HND in a relevant subject, you may be able to enter this line of work in a junior technician role; however, you will need to complete further study before you can progress up the career ladder.
Another way to boost your employability is volunteering with an environmental organisation. This will give you fantastic hands-on experience and enable you to build up a network of useful contacts.
Training & Progress
Many hydrogeologists start their career as a part of a graduate scheme with prominent environmental consultancies and engineering firms. If you are accepted onto a graduate scheme, the majority of your training will be done whilst on the job under the supervision of a senior hydrogeologist.
As part of your training programme, you may be given the opportunity to complete an MSc in hydrogeology if you haven’t already got one. This will be fully-funded by your organisation and it’s likely that you will be granted study leave in the lead up to exams.
From time to time, you may also be required to attend training courses run by external organisations, such as the International Association of Hydrogeologists (IAH), to keep up-to-date with all the latest techniques and technologies.
Once you have gained a wealth of experience you might think about becoming a chartered hydrogeologist courtesy of the Chartered Institution of Water and Environmental Management (CIWEM). This can be great for the purposes of career progression.
If you work for a large organisation, you may eventually be given the opportunity to progress into a senior hydrogeologist position. However, this may mean taking a step back from hands-on scientific investigation work and focusing your efforts more on project management and team leading responsibilities.
Some people decide to specialise in a particular area of hydrogeology, such as groundwater engineering.
Alternatively, you might have the opportunity to develop an academic career, where you’ll conduct research and teach the next generation of hydrogeologists.
Freelance consultancy work is another option.
What’s going on?
- Should I apply an international internship in NSC 17-10-2014 @ 12:27
- thats a good idea .. and what is it that you do ?? ...
- Should I apply an international internship in NSC 17-10-2014 @ 11:54
- its a good thing to do an internship right after your graduation.it will be beneficial for your career don't think about the industry just try to learn something first then go for the big names.p...
- Should I apply an international internship in NSC 17-10-2014 @ 08:38
- Same is over here that this is really very nice post. Keep up the awesome work. Thanks for sharing your great work and letting me to say about it. custom research papers...
- BUY REAL AND FAKE PASSPORT,VISA,ID,DL ETC.(firstname.lastname@example.org) 11-10-2014 @ 10:21
- Best Quality Novelty Fake IDs and Passports (email@example.com) Best Quality Novelty Fake IDs and Passports, Marriage certificates and Drivers license etc buy now high quality-We have the b...
- Many US law firms now have offices in the UK and offer training contracts and vacation schemes to talented students and graduates on this side of the pond. If you complete a training contract or...
- Choosing a Law Firm 09-04-2014 @ 12:36
- The legal market is big, tough and very competitive. There are many levels and varieties of law firms running in the market today and with detailed research and a clear idea of one’s own pr...
- Can I get a training contract with a 2:2? 09-04-2014 @ 12:30
- It’s the question we’re perennially asked on our AllAboutLaw Facebook fan page, is it possible to get a training contract with a 2:2? Before jumping in, if you're looking for...
- Training Contract Covering Letter 09-04-2014 @ 12:29
- Finding a training contract is hard enough without a bad covering letter letting you down. You might think your CV is the star of the show, but without a good supporting act, your application wil...
- Real Madrid air max 90 sverige en Cristiano Ronaldo 22-10-2014 @ 01:36
- Real Madrid air max 90 sverige en Cristiano Ronaldo gjorde 20 mål i alla tävlingar denna säsong, Rogers var beundrar, Läs ett team har en hel del världsklass spelar......
- Ruowenge Ferguson air max 95 dam att 22-10-2014 @ 01:35
- Denna tjänst air max 90 dam Bell på grund av skada, Rogers sa, "han är en världsklass spelare, han är typ av spelare med fantastiska hastighet, är mycket ......
- Balotelli air max dam fick i 22-10-2014 @ 01:35
- Balotelli air max dam fick i fältet-mål torkan, krig med Real Madrid är hans chans att lösa själv. Rogers sa att "nu allt är bra och att han kände si......
- How Might The Net Be Informative Concerning Spiderman Unlimited Games? 21-10-2014 @ 19:18
- These enjoyable superhero kind of games provide us with an incredibly unique electric outlet. Not only can all of us step inside the virtual planet and see points through the face of Spiderman hi......
- Dairy Crest buys milk firm out of administration, ... 14-03-2013 @ 10:21
- Dairy Crest has bought specialist milk business Proper Welsh Milk out of administration, saving 40 jobs....
- Applications for £120m Govt funding pot open in s... 14-03-2013 @ 10:21
- The money is being made available through the Government’s Advanced Manufacturing Supply Chain Initiative to support research and development, skills training and capital investment in th...
- High Street fund 'barely touched'... 14-03-2013 @ 10:20
- A £10m government fund set up a year ago to help bring empty shops back into use has barely been touched, according to Freedom of Information requests seen by the BBC....