All About UsAllAboutCareers is a social careers information website for everyone who wants to find out more about graduate schemes, apprenticeships, internships and other job-related shenanigans.
- Job Description
- Salary & Benefits
- Working Hours & Other Details
- Entry Route & Requirements
- Training & Progress
Freight forwarders play a vital role in the movement of goods from one place to another. These guys act as essential go-betweens in the import/export process and provide assistance to individuals, commercial organisations, importers and exporters who need help facilitating their international trading operations.
While the movement of goods for individual customers is usually managed by postal and courier services, ‘freight forwarding’ commonly refers to the bulk movement of goods, also referred to as cargo or freight.
The freight forwarder works out the best method and route for moving large volumes of freight from the point of origin to the destination, utilising several modes of transport (e.g. road, rail, air and sea) and ensuring that the cargo reaches its destination in the least possible amount of time, in an environmentally friendly and safe manner and at the most affordable rate. In a few instances, transport companies themselves provide freight forwarding services, or vice versa.
If you enter this profession, you’ll be conducting research and route planning, taking into consideration the kind of cargo being transported, the distance involved and any specific customer requirements with regards to the final delivery time.
You’ll also be responsible for handling the packing, insurance, customs documentation and other regulatory requirements, especially for freight moving across national borders.
Awesome organisational skills are essential, as you’ll be arranging for the timely pick-up of freight and organising transportation between intermediate destinations, i.e. port facilities, cargo terminals and railway yards, through which a major portion of the freight movement is completed.
You’ll also be responsible for monitoring everything and keeping a keen eye on what’s going on, using software applications and satellite technology to provide real-time tracking of freight movements and ensuring timely delivery. Furthermore, you may be required to make payments and process transactions, like freight charges, on behalf of your customers.
This line of work also involves keeping your clients informed throughout the whole process and reporting back to them at each and every stage. Consequently, you will need to collect data, present it in an accessible form and write detailed reports.
From time to time, you may be required to arrange door-to-door deliveries for fragile or high-importance packages.
However, in the grand scheme of things, freight forwarders generally take up the responsibility of moving cargo from one stage to another, with a different service provider or a subsidiary unit handling local deliveries.
Salary & Benefits
Salary levels for freight forwarders are dependent on the market they focus on, the location where they’re based and the type and size of the company employing them.
A significant percentage of freight forwarders are self-employed, running their businesses as proprietors or partners. These guys also sometimes operate as freight and transport consultants and/or customs brokers.
For salaried personnel in the early stages of their career, the potential earnings tend to range between £15,000 and £20,000 per annum, while freight forwarders with over three years of experience can earn between £20,000 and £25,000.
Senior professionals with over ten years of experience can earn up to £40,000 a year.
Working Hours & Other Details
Large freight forwarding and transport companies operate throughout the year, providing a 24/7 service. Therefore, employees are likely to work on a shift basis. Work is mainly office-based and the places of work are generally located close to transport and industrial hubs.
Entry Route & Requirements
It is possible to enter this line of work without a degree. However, a degree in logistics, supply chain management, transport planning, business management, economics and other related disciplines can be highly useful.
This profession is not exclusive to graduates with a background in these areas, however, and applicants from all other academic disciplines can also find employment in this area.
Understandably, you’ll also need absolutely fantastic organisational skills, a talent for solving problems, attention to detail and an ability to thrive under pressure.
Furthermore, your communication skills need to be second-to-none. In fact, if you are fluent in a second language, your chances of finding employment with a company that deals in foreign imports and exports will be greatly improved.
Consequently, a degree in modern languages may also set you up nicely for a career as a freight forwarder.
Training & Progress
Graduate trainees in large companies and multinational corporations are likely to be recruited onto a graduate training programme, which allows them to gain practical experience through multiple placements across various functions of the business.
If you get onto one of these grad schemes, you may also be sponsored as you study towards gaining professional qualifications, which are offered by industry bodies, such as the Chartered Institute of Logistics & Transport (CILT).
Career progression is dependent upon individual performance, work experience and professional qualifications.
Apart from pursuing the option to work as a freelance freight forwarder, some employees opt to gain generalist experience across all freight-related industries and move into managerial positions, while others specialise in a niche area of trade, such as heavy duty machinery or fast moving consumer goods.
What’s going on?
- Advertising Grad Schemes! Agency names? 28-11-2014 @ 03:28
- blog commenting...
- Investment Banking Career Path 25-11-2014 @ 16:34
- I'm impressed by your paper. It essential to observation that nowadays it is hardly facile to explore decorous merit stipulation on the Internet. Fair unique example along my art of selecting rea...
- Latest Transport & Logistics news from around the world 24-11-2014 @ 23:20
- Buy High Quality Real/Novelty Document...
- Does anyone know what you call the people who look for oil or gas called? 24-11-2014 @ 09:32
- It's essential to retrieve, that approaches to opinion info originate at school besides college. If learners write endeavors by their acknowledge, they are versatile to decide amend info. Else, i...
- Many US law firms now have offices in the UK and offer training contracts and vacation schemes to talented students and graduates on this side of the pond. If you complete a training contract or...
- Choosing a Law Firm 09-04-2014 @ 12:36
- The legal market is big, tough and very competitive. There are many levels and varieties of law firms running in the market today and with detailed research and a clear idea of one’s own pr...
- Can I get a training contract with a 2:2? 09-04-2014 @ 12:30
- It’s the question we’re perennially asked on our AllAboutLaw Facebook fan page, is it possible to get a training contract with a 2:2? Before jumping in, if you're looking for...
- Training Contract Covering Letter 09-04-2014 @ 12:29
- Finding a training contract is hard enough without a bad covering letter letting you down. You might think your CV is the star of the show, but without a good supporting act, your application wil...
- Fast Means To Get Gold In The World Of Warcraft 28-11-2014 @ 08:02
- World of warcraft players usually admiration if there are any means you can accomplish fast gold in the game. Most of them will accomplish seek engine queries such as: fast means to get gold in t......
- Currently ralph lauren outlet uk of problem 28-11-2014 @ 08:01
- Currently ralph lauren outlet uk of problem has rose to in its bit who can competent of category, although no people can justified to claimed, will FIFA placed unprecedented of butt status, ......
- All of this ralph lauren mens polo shirts is a Milan 28-11-2014 @ 07:50
- All of this ralph lauren mens polo shirts is a Milan as men, but who would have imagined that Maldini's football dream is starting from Milan rivals Juventus. About his career, Maldini s......
- Information On SodaStream Review As Well As SodaStream 28-11-2014 @ 07:36
- The ease of use factor is very important in my experience and I let you know that making seltzer water or soda in this machine is simply by it gets. Soda Sherpa Twitter You just add the water int......
- Dairy Crest buys milk firm out of administration, ... 14-03-2013 @ 10:21
- Dairy Crest has bought specialist milk business Proper Welsh Milk out of administration, saving 40 jobs....
- Applications for £120m Govt funding pot open in s... 14-03-2013 @ 10:21
- The money is being made available through the Government’s Advanced Manufacturing Supply Chain Initiative to support research and development, skills training and capital investment in th...
- High Street fund 'barely touched'... 14-03-2013 @ 10:20
- A £10m government fund set up a year ago to help bring empty shops back into use has barely been touched, according to Freedom of Information requests seen by the BBC....