All About UsAllAboutCareers is a social careers information website for everyone who wants to find out more about graduate schemes, apprenticeships, internships and other job-related shenanigans.
- Job Description
- Salary & Benefits
- Working Hours & Other Details
- Entry Route & Requirements
- Training & Progress
Have you ever dreamt about organising the London Film Festival? Fantasised about putting on a music festival like Glastonbury? Or wondered how you would go about arranging events like the launch of the next PlayStation console? Hmmm, we thought so!
Do you constantly think about the people that decide what shade of red is used for the carpet at the Oscars? Do you wonder who is responsible for organising the annual Clothes Show in Birmingham? Or do you ever spare a thought for the people that put on the business conferences and technology fairs that introduce the world to the latest gizmos and gadgets? Well then, you’re probably thinking about becoming an event organiser!
Event organisers are the people that plan and organise events of various kinds, from industry exhibitions, academic conferences, business seminars and careers fairs, to product launches, gigs, film festivals, fashion shows and charity fundraising events.
Primarily employed by events management companies, event organisers tend to work with a range of clients across the public sector, private sector and third sector. However, some event organisers may work in-house for large multinational corporations, while others work on a freelance basis.
If you enter this profession, you’re likely to take on a vast range of responsibilities to make sure that the events you organise are the best they can possibly be. Your aim will be to organise everything in the most efficient and cost-effective way, while still ensuring that the event has the necessary ‘wow factor’.
Firstly, you’ll be liaising with your client to understand their wants, needs and special requests for the event. Following this consultation period, you’ll be conceptualising, planning and organising events from start to finish in accordance with your client’s requirements.
To make sure everything runs smoothly, you’ll be selecting venues, preparing them for the event and setting everything up. Furthermore, you’ll be managing staff and hiring volunteers, as well as coordinating various suppliers to provide the event with all the necessary bits and pieces, such as security, lighting, displays, sound equipment, stages, parking, toilets, food and drink.
You’ll be in charge of designing the layout and schedule of the event, commissioning companies to produce event guides, tickets and pamphlets and carrying out marketing activities to promote the event with the help of PR professionals and marketing executives.
The budget for the event will also be your responsibility and you’ll be the ‘go-to’ guy or girl if any problems or complications happen on the day. When you’re not actively working on projects, you may also be tasked with carrying out market research, identifying business opportunities and making presentations to clients in order to win new contracts.
Salary & Benefits
Annual salaries for event organisers in the early stages of their careers range between £16,000 and £27,000, while event organisers with some experience and a handful of client accounts can earn between £28,000 and £45,000 per annum.
Senior event organisers can earn around £50,000 to £80,000.
The potential earnings are substantially higher for established freelance professionals, who have an extensive events portfolio and a network of useful contacts.
Working Hours & Other Details
Working hours are entirely dependent upon the type of events that the event organiser handles. The week before an event is usually hectic and you’ll be required to work long and unsociable hours on a daily basis.
Weekend work is also quite common, since most social, charity and entertainment events are scheduled for weekends.
Frequent travel between your office and the location where events are going to be held is a regular requirement.
Entry Route & Requirements
The job is open to individuals from all educational backgrounds, the main entry requirements being a positive and outgoing personality, outstanding communication skills, attention to detail and a talent for organising complex events in an efficient and methodical manner.
A degree is not essential for entry into this profession. However, this industry is incredibly competitive and, therefore, a degree will help your cause no end.
Getting a degree in a subject such as events management, marketing, or hospitality will also give you a great edge over other candidates.
Training & Progress
Training is mainly comprised of work shadowing, working under the supervision of senior colleagues, in-house workshops and external training seminars.
Some employers may even sponsor you to attend courses offered by organisations such as the Society of Event Organisers (SEO), the Association of Event Organisers (AEO), the Association of British Professional Conference Organisers (ABPCO) and Eventia.
Competition within the event management industry is fierce and your attitude, commitment and on-the-job performance are the key differentiators between the people selected for promotion and the people left behind.
As you progress, you will move into more senior roles and begin to handle your own events and entire client rosters. Many event organisers move into freelance positions and some even set up their own events management companies.
What’s going on?
- Should I go to university? 14-07-2014 @ 14:15
- hello, I was just wondering ''is it fun at university or nah'' because I really want to go but if its not fun then I wont go because it costs a lot of money and I could spend that money on someth...
- MBA in Hospital and Health Care Management 09-07-2014 @ 07:54
- If you have keen interest in management and medical both than doing MBA in hospital and health care management could be good option for your. Kohinoor Business school offers a management degree i...
- Is human resources a woman's world? 09-07-2014 @ 07:50
- Doing MBA in HR management is the first choice of every female students the reason behind this is the natural quality of women to manage the people. Another is safe and good career growth options...
- Solar Module Mounting 09-07-2014 @ 07:39
- Solar module mounting is technique to get electricity power from solar light by installing solar panels in a proper way. There is huge market of manufacturing and selling solar products. Satec en...
- Many US law firms now have offices in the UK and offer training contracts and vacation schemes to talented students and graduates on this side of the pond. If you complete a training contract or...
- Choosing a Law Firm 09-04-2014 @ 12:36
- The legal market is big, tough and very competitive. There are many levels and varieties of law firms running in the market today and with detailed research and a clear idea of one’s own pr...
- Can I get a training contract with a 2:2? 09-04-2014 @ 12:30
- It’s the question we’re perennially asked on our AllAboutLaw Facebook fan page, is it possible to get a training contract with a 2:2? Before jumping in, if you're looking for...
- Training Contract Covering Letter 09-04-2014 @ 12:29
- Finding a training contract is hard enough without a bad covering letter letting you down. You might think your CV is the star of the show, but without a good supporting act, your application wil...
- Qieerxideluoba air max 1 womens of personnel 30-07-2014 @ 10:13
- Qieerxideluoba air max 1 womens of personnel changes in the team now, Frank Lampard, Ashley Cole, left, CESC Fabregas, Diego and Felipe Melo joining Costa. Drogba said: "for us, the int......
- Real Madrid nike lebron 10 uk are currently 30-07-2014 @ 09:57
- Real Madrid nike lebron 10 uk are currently United States participation in the international Cup, two days ago through penalty shoot-out 3-4 defeat by Inter Milan and Bair wave to be number ......
- Valon Behrami nike zoom kobe 6 for sale and Callejon 30-07-2014 @ 09:39
- Valon Behrami nike zoom kobe 6 for sale and Callejon recently have clashed with Benitez, but the two conditions are quite different. Callejon and Benitez soon reached a settlement and the te......
- Air Jordan 4 Retro Oreo defense with Jadeveon 30-07-2014 @ 09:29
- ''Coaches and the trainers just want to take it slow right now,'' Lang said ''It's about time I really put forth the effort to be that player I know I'm capable of......
- Dairy Crest buys milk firm out of administration, ... 14-03-2013 @ 10:21
- Dairy Crest has bought specialist milk business Proper Welsh Milk out of administration, saving 40 jobs....
- Applications for £120m Govt funding pot open in s... 14-03-2013 @ 10:21
- The money is being made available through the Government’s Advanced Manufacturing Supply Chain Initiative to support research and development, skills training and capital investment in th...
- High Street fund 'barely touched'... 14-03-2013 @ 10:20
- A £10m government fund set up a year ago to help bring empty shops back into use has barely been touched, according to Freedom of Information requests seen by the BBC....