All About UsAllAboutCareers is a social careers information website for everyone who wants to find out more about graduate schemes, apprenticeships, internships and other job-related shenanigans.
- Job Description
- Salary & Benefits
- Working Hours & Other Details
- Entry Route & Requirements
- Training & Progress
Do you want to teach the next generation of budding thespians? Well, you’re in the right place!
As a drama teacher, you will be responsible for guiding school students through some of the most important stages of their education, including their GCSEs and A-levels.
The majority of your time will be spent preparing lesson plans and teaching pupils in accordance with the national curriculum. However, teaching drama will give you license to use creative, interactive and engaging teaching methods, such as games, role-play, storytelling, hot seating and tableaux.
A drama teacher’s role, however, isn’t just about playing games and directing end-of-term plays. Drama courses do also involve written work from time to time. Indeed, you’ll also be responsible for marking students’ work and providing them with the necessary feedback, criticism, encouragement and support.
You’ll also be responsible for helping students prepare for crucial examinations and directing final performances, which will be watched and assessed by an external moderator. You may also get the opportunity to take part in events and projects outside of the classroom, such as taking pupils on theatre trips.
Teaching, however, is not all about working with young students. Frequently, you will have to attend meetings with other teaching staff, undertake in-service training and meet with pupils’ parents to discuss their progress at parents’ evenings.
On a pastoral support level, you may be required to provide counselling and guidance to students who are facing learning difficulties. This may involve referring students to other relevant authorities and professionals who may be able to help them.
Drama teachers also need to keep their skills fresh. Consequently, you’ll be required to keep up-to-date on new teaching methods and developments in the curriculum.
Salary & Benefits
Drama teachers in England and Wales receive salaries based on a standardised pay scale. Newly-qualified drama teachers outside of London start their careers on £21,588 per annum, while those working in Greater London can earn between £22,626 and £27,000, depending on where they are specifically located. This takes into account the higher cost of living in and around London.
As drama teachers in England and Wales progress through their careers, their salaries will increase on an incremental basis towards £31,552 per annum outside of London, or £36,387 per annum in London.
If you become a drama teacher in Scotland, you will earn £19,997 as a newly-qualified teacher. This will gradually increase throughout your career to £34,200 per annum.
In England and Wales, some drama teachers eventually become Advanced Skills Teachers (ASTs). These teachers have the potential for higher earnings, ranging from £38,493 to £64,036 in London, and from £37,461 to £59,950 outside London. Similarly, in Scotland, experienced teachers who become Chartered Teachers can earn between £35,253 and £41,925 per annum.
Working Hours & Other Details
Drama teachers receive around 13 weeks of annual leave each year. However, for the other 39 weeks, during term-time, teachers can expect early starts and a particularly busy working life.
Drama teachers’ official working hours correspond with their individual schools’ timetables. However, most teachers start earlier and end their working day much later than their scheduled lessons. Travel outside of the school campus is rare, except when taking pupils on school outings, such as theatre trips.
Entry Route & Requirements
In order to become a drama teacher, you will need to obtain Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) in England and Wales or a Teaching Qualification (TQ) in Scotland. There are various ways that you can do this.
You could study an undergraduate degree which automatically gives you QTS, such as a BA in Education.
If your undergraduate degree does not grant you QTS, you could do a Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) or a Professional Graduate Diploma in Education (PGDE) if you study in Scotland.
Alternatively, you could pursue one of three other postgraduate routes into teaching:
- School-centred Initial Teacher Training (SCITT),
- School Direct Training Programme
- Overseas Teacher Training Programme (OTTP).
All drama teachers will also have to undergo a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check before they can work in schools.
Training & Progress
On-the-job training for drama teachers involves doing Initial Teacher Training (ITT), which is comprised of 18 weeks’ practical training.
Newly-qualified Teachers (NQT) undergo a period of probationary evaluation in their first year of service, which is assessed over three academic terms. The assessment process involves individual professional development under supervision and evaluation against current national induction standards.
When it comes to career progression, you could become the head of department, move into a senior management role, or gain recognition as an Advanced Skills Teacher (AST in England and Wales) or Chartered Teacher (CT in Scotland).
Another possible option is to complete the National Professional Qualification for Headship (NPQH), which trains people who want to become headteachers.
Alternatively, you could become a further education lecturer, an Ofsted inspector, or even work on an examination board. You could also explore opportunities for private tutoring and education consultancy.
What’s going on?
- Should I go to university? 14-07-2014 @ 14:15
- hello, I was just wondering ''is it fun at university or nah'' because I really want to go but if its not fun then I wont go because it costs a lot of money and I could spend that money on someth...
- MBA in Hospital and Health Care Management 09-07-2014 @ 07:54
- If you have keen interest in management and medical both than doing MBA in hospital and health care management could be good option for your. Kohinoor Business school offers a management degree i...
- Is human resources a woman's world? 09-07-2014 @ 07:50
- Doing MBA in HR management is the first choice of every female students the reason behind this is the natural quality of women to manage the people. Another is safe and good career growth options...
- Solar Module Mounting 09-07-2014 @ 07:39
- Solar module mounting is technique to get electricity power from solar light by installing solar panels in a proper way. There is huge market of manufacturing and selling solar products. Satec en...
- Many US law firms now have offices in the UK and offer training contracts and vacation schemes to talented students and graduates on this side of the pond. If you complete a training contract or...
- Choosing a Law Firm 09-04-2014 @ 12:36
- The legal market is big, tough and very competitive. There are many levels and varieties of law firms running in the market today and with detailed research and a clear idea of one’s own pr...
- Can I get a training contract with a 2:2? 09-04-2014 @ 12:30
- It’s the question we’re perennially asked on our AllAboutLaw Facebook fan page, is it possible to get a training contract with a 2:2? Before jumping in, if you're looking for...
- Training Contract Covering Letter 09-04-2014 @ 12:29
- Finding a training contract is hard enough without a bad covering letter letting you down. You might think your CV is the star of the show, but without a good supporting act, your application wil...
- Både Rio air max 90 dam Ferdinand och Neman 30-07-2014 @ 14:17
- Både Rio air max 90 dam Ferdinand och Nemanja Vidic lämna Manchester United mittback position med bristen, Michael Keane förväntas fylla i tomrummen och föregå......
- James från air max 2013 dam buleisidun 30-07-2014 @ 14:16
- James från air max 2013 dam buleisidun att ansluta sig till Manchester United, sedan gjorde snabba framsteg, han är mycket lämplig för van Gaal 352 systemet, gjorde tv&a......
- Sir Alex air max dam Ferguson har 30-07-2014 @ 14:10
- Sir Alex air max dam Ferguson har för avsikt att sätta honom i det första laget, men korsbandsskador har hindrat hans utveckling, var han Manchester United ungdom team ai......
- Qieerxideluoba air max 1 womens of personnel 30-07-2014 @ 10:13
- Qieerxideluoba air max 1 womens of personnel changes in the team now, Frank Lampard, Ashley Cole, left, CESC Fabregas, Diego and Felipe Melo joining Costa. Drogba said: "for us, the int......
- Dairy Crest buys milk firm out of administration, ... 14-03-2013 @ 10:21
- Dairy Crest has bought specialist milk business Proper Welsh Milk out of administration, saving 40 jobs....
- Applications for £120m Govt funding pot open in s... 14-03-2013 @ 10:21
- The money is being made available through the Government’s Advanced Manufacturing Supply Chain Initiative to support research and development, skills training and capital investment in th...
- High Street fund 'barely touched'... 14-03-2013 @ 10:20
- A £10m government fund set up a year ago to help bring empty shops back into use has barely been touched, according to Freedom of Information requests seen by the BBC....