All About UsAllAboutCareers is a social careers information website for everyone who wants to find out more about graduate schemes, apprenticeships, internships and other job-related shenanigans.
- Job Description
- Salary & Benefits
- Working Hours & Other Details
- Entry Route & Requirements
- Training & Progress
The primary responsibility of a community pharmacist is to dispense prescriptions and over-the-counter medicines and formulations.
Community pharmacists are employed by retail pharmacies, supermarket chains, health centres, large healthcare facilities, GP clinics and surgeries. Many also choose to set up their own businesses, as a proprietor or in partnership with other community pharmacists.
Pharmacists don’t just dispense drugs; they dispense advice on how medicines work, conduct health checks, carry out procedures such as pregnancy tests, check cholesterol and blood pressure, and screen for diabetes. They are also on hand to treat minor ailments and maintain accurate records and registers for controlled drugs.
Salary & Benefits
Starting salaries are lower for community pharmacists working in standalone pharmacies and small retail chains.
Temporary or stand-in pharmacists are usually paid by the hour (£20-£25 per hour), with higher rates for working on weekends and holiday shifts.
Starting salaries across other facilities range between £20,000 and £45,000 for pharmacists with under ten years of experience. Professionals with more than ten years of experience can earn up to £70,000.
Self-employed community pharmacists earn significantly higher incomes once the business is established, especially if they offer ancillary and supplemental services such as health screenings and checks.
Working Hours & Other Details
Working hours are irregular since pharmacies usually stay open beyond regular business hours, including weekends and holidays.
Employees in large retail chains may work in shifts with defined schedules and rotations. However, pharmacists working in remote and outlying areas with insufficient resources will need to work beyond their scheduled hours.
The job involves local travel in terms of visiting customers’ homes to deliver medicine, set up medical apparatus or conduct spot checks. Travel outside of your local community of practice is not very common.
Entry Route & Requirements
Community pharmacist roles are open to candidates who complete a four year accredited degree in pharmacy, which grants the qualification of MPharm.
This is followed by one year of pre-registration learning under the supervision of an accredited pharmacist, completing several levels of competency assessments before appearing for the final examination conducted by the Royal Pharmaceutical Society (RPS).
Other requisite qualities include the ability to explain complex technical information regarding medicinal products, dosages and harmful side effects; a people-friendly attitude with high standards of personal ethics and integrity; a scrupulous and systematic approach to work; and high levels of self-motivation, confidence and patience.
Training & Progress
There are no mandatory post-registration training requirements, as all initial training activity is completed in the pre-registration phase itself.
Exceptions to this are large pharmacy stores and chains, which conduct a comprehensive orientation programme for new recruits, covering areas of business other than pharmaceuticals.
Continuing Professional Development (CPD) is a compulsory requirement for community pharmacists to maintain their registration.
After registration, the next step for a community pharmacist is usually a promotion into a managerial role.
Alternative options include specialising in a specific pharmacy discipline, such as clinical or practice pharmacy: the prescription of medicines for a variety of ailments without a registered physician’s intervention, except in the case of controlled drugs and medicines, which still require a doctor’s prescription.
What’s going on?
- Should I apply an international internship in NSC 28-08-2014 @ 20:12
- Great information for reading by everyone. Thanks alot for sharing this great web. Online Assignment Help...
- Should I go to university? 20-08-2014 @ 05:32
- Difficult question! The fees have risen and the job scenario isn't good at the moment. But I still think you should go to University. Who knows, you might stumble over something at uni. and reali...
- Should I apply an international internship in NSC 11-08-2014 @ 09:13
- Assignment Help Australia ...
- Should I apply an international internship in NSC 11-08-2014 @ 09:13
- You should have to start some business writing or other it will really boost up your knowledge if you want some this kind of job or internship you can just check this site. Assignment Help Austra...
- Many US law firms now have offices in the UK and offer training contracts and vacation schemes to talented students and graduates on this side of the pond. If you complete a training contract or...
- Choosing a Law Firm 09-04-2014 @ 12:36
- The legal market is big, tough and very competitive. There are many levels and varieties of law firms running in the market today and with detailed research and a clear idea of one’s own pr...
- Can I get a training contract with a 2:2? 09-04-2014 @ 12:30
- It’s the question we’re perennially asked on our AllAboutLaw Facebook fan page, is it possible to get a training contract with a 2:2? Before jumping in, if you're looking for...
- Training Contract Covering Letter 09-04-2014 @ 12:29
- Finding a training contract is hard enough without a bad covering letter letting you down. You might think your CV is the star of the show, but without a good supporting act, your application wil...
- Deux ados pointent un puissant laser contre un avion 30-08-2014 @ 11:49
- LORRAINE – Deux adolescents de 14 et 15 ans originaires de Diesen (Moselle) vont être poursuivis en justice après avoir fait pointé un puissant laser contre un a......
- Stimmt es, dass Laserpointer gefährlich sein können? 30-08-2014 @ 10:53
- Ja, wenn sie nicht richtig gehandhabt werden. Dies ist da das Auge einen Laserstrahl mit einem sehr kleinen, intensiven Spot auf ihrer Netzhaut konzentrieren kann, was ein brennen oder bl......
- Laser-Pointer "grün" mit Funk-Fernbedienung 30-08-2014 @ 08:51
- Laser-Pointer "grün" mit Funk-Fernbedienung Eine anschauliche Unterrichtsgestaltung ist Voraussetzung für einen nachhaltigen Lernerfolg. Deshalb ist es für Sie als Lehrkr......
- Nemanja nike flyknit lunar 1 + nz Vidic and 30-08-2014 @ 07:42
- Nemanja nike flyknit lunar 1 + nz Vidic and Osvaldo's arrival, were both increased their strength by inter's defense and up front, but the Nerazzurri's midfield creativity is sti......
- Dairy Crest buys milk firm out of administration, ... 14-03-2013 @ 10:21
- Dairy Crest has bought specialist milk business Proper Welsh Milk out of administration, saving 40 jobs....
- Applications for £120m Govt funding pot open in s... 14-03-2013 @ 10:21
- The money is being made available through the Government’s Advanced Manufacturing Supply Chain Initiative to support research and development, skills training and capital investment in th...
- High Street fund 'barely touched'... 14-03-2013 @ 10:20
- A £10m government fund set up a year ago to help bring empty shops back into use has barely been touched, according to Freedom of Information requests seen by the BBC....