All About UsAllAboutCareers is a social careers information website for everyone who wants to find out more about graduate schemes, apprenticeships, internships and other job-related shenanigans.
- Job Description
- Salary & Benefits
- Working Hours & Other Details
- Entry Route & Requirements
- Training & Progress
The primary responsibility of a community pharmacist is to dispense prescriptions and over-the-counter medicines and formulations.
Community pharmacists are employed by retail pharmacies, supermarket chains, health centres, large healthcare facilities, GP clinics and surgeries. Many also choose to set up their own businesses, as a proprietor or in partnership with other community pharmacists.
Pharmacists don’t just dispense drugs; they dispense advice on how medicines work, conduct health checks, carry out procedures such as pregnancy tests, check cholesterol and blood pressure, and screen for diabetes. They are also on hand to treat minor ailments and maintain accurate records and registers for controlled drugs.
Salary & Benefits
Starting salaries are lower for community pharmacists working in standalone pharmacies and small retail chains.
Temporary or stand-in pharmacists are usually paid by the hour (£20-£25 per hour), with higher rates for working on weekends and holiday shifts.
Starting salaries across other facilities range between £20,000 and £45,000 for pharmacists with under ten years of experience. Professionals with more than ten years of experience can earn up to £70,000.
Self-employed community pharmacists earn significantly higher incomes once the business is established, especially if they offer ancillary and supplemental services such as health screenings and checks.
Working Hours & Other Details
Working hours are irregular since pharmacies usually stay open beyond regular business hours, including weekends and holidays.
Employees in large retail chains may work in shifts with defined schedules and rotations. However, pharmacists working in remote and outlying areas with insufficient resources will need to work beyond their scheduled hours.
The job involves local travel in terms of visiting customers’ homes to deliver medicine, set up medical apparatus or conduct spot checks. Travel outside of your local community of practice is not very common.
Entry Route & Requirements
Community pharmacist roles are open to candidates who complete a four year accredited degree in pharmacy, which grants the qualification of MPharm.
This is followed by one year of pre-registration learning under the supervision of an accredited pharmacist, completing several levels of competency assessments before appearing for the final examination conducted by the Royal Pharmaceutical Society (RPS).
Other requisite qualities include the ability to explain complex technical information regarding medicinal products, dosages and harmful side effects; a people-friendly attitude with high standards of personal ethics and integrity; a scrupulous and systematic approach to work; and high levels of self-motivation, confidence and patience.
Training & Progress
There are no mandatory post-registration training requirements, as all initial training activity is completed in the pre-registration phase itself.
Exceptions to this are large pharmacy stores and chains, which conduct a comprehensive orientation programme for new recruits, covering areas of business other than pharmaceuticals.
Continuing Professional Development (CPD) is a compulsory requirement for community pharmacists to maintain their registration.
After registration, the next step for a community pharmacist is usually a promotion into a managerial role.
Alternative options include specialising in a specific pharmacy discipline, such as clinical or practice pharmacy: the prescription of medicines for a variety of ailments without a registered physician’s intervention, except in the case of controlled drugs and medicines, which still require a doctor’s prescription.
What’s going on?
- Where can I get work experience? 05-03-2014 @ 19:37
- The SEO article composing administrations will likewise be overall educated about the time it takes for a task to be finished. They will accordingly furnish you with a genuine evaluation of the t...
- Should I apply an international internship in NSC 28-02-2014 @ 23:49
- Very good information .... Thanks guy... _____________________________ ProPapersWriting...
- Legal Director 19-02-2014 @ 12:56
- ROLE PURPOSE To act as one of a team of Legal Directors, working in close collaboration with both the Office of the General Counsel and relevant directorate and project teams, to lead the delive...
- Where can I get work experience? 19-02-2014 @ 09:19
- Hi, What kind of work experience you want? You can search the local companies related to your degree, visit the companies, Meet the admin manager and submit your CV for internship. I got my first...
- Traditionally, front office staff are the folks in contact with the consumers or clients, whilst the back office staff are the people behind-the-scenes working in administrative or support roles....
- A Day in the Life of a Chartered Architectural Technologist 25-02-2013 @ 15:44
- My typical working week… As a Chartered Architectural Technologist (MCIAT), I will always have a varied day. I work a standard working week. My hours are 9am til 5.30pm, but I tend to...
- National Audit Office’s School Leaver Scheme: My Experience 14-02-2013 @ 17:26
- Accountancy school leavers’ programme or university? It was in my final year of college that I decided that I wanted to pursue a career in accountancy. I looked in to the options avai...
- Accountancy: Payroll Career Paths 14-02-2013 @ 11:22
- Accountancy is an incredibly varied profession with a large number of different roles available within the industry. Payroll is increasingly important for businesses; the majority of companies ...
- The most effective method to Make Your Dissertation an Enjoyable Read 08-03-2014 @ 20:48
- Composing scholastic assignments isn't the most energizing point you will ever go over! In any case, your thesis does not have to be a "dry" read. Firstly, it is significant that y......
- Paper Writing Tips - 6 Steps to Writing a Great Essay 08-03-2014 @ 19:10
- Assuming that written work an exposition would appear to be an overwhelming background, then figuring out how to separate the methodology into various simple steps will provide for you the certai......
- A few Tips on The Basic Structure of a Good Thesis Format 01-03-2014 @ 23:52
- Assuming that you've never composed a proposal previously, you realize that the first occasion when you're asked to do in this way, you may feel a smidge unsure of precisely what a postul......
- Geotechnical engineering 26-02-2014 @ 09:34
- Can a person who did his engineering in architecture or civil become a geotechnical engineer and work with environmental service or geotechnical companies? What are the main services included in ......
- Dairy Crest buys milk firm out of administration, ... 14-03-2013 @ 10:21
- Dairy Crest has bought specialist milk business Proper Welsh Milk out of administration, saving 40 jobs....
- Applications for £120m Govt funding pot open in s... 14-03-2013 @ 10:21
- The money is being made available through the Government’s Advanced Manufacturing Supply Chain Initiative to support research and development, skills training and capital investment in th...
- High Street fund 'barely touched'... 14-03-2013 @ 10:20
- A £10m government fund set up a year ago to help bring empty shops back into use has barely been touched, according to Freedom of Information requests seen by the BBC....