All About UsAllAboutCareers is a social careers information website for everyone who wants to find out more about graduate schemes, apprenticeships, internships and other job-related shenanigans.
- Job Description
- Salary & Benefits
- Working Hours & Other Details
- Entry Route & Requirements
- Training & Progress
Unfortunately, babies don’t grow on trees and storks also seem to have stopped delivering infants to people’s houses. Maybe the Royal Mail, UPS or FedEx will take over the delivery duties soon!?
But until then, people are just going to have to rely on good old fashioned biology. The reproductive process is not always a sure thing though and sometimes people are unable to have babies through the usual hanky-panky-based methods.
Clinical embryologists are trained medical professionals who specialise in treating cases of infertility and helping people to conceive and give birth. These guys use advanced and complex diagnostic, clinical and therapeutic treatments and equipment to help people make babies.
An embryologist’s role involves carrying out tests to ascertain people’s ability to have children and figuring out the reasons for people’s inability to conceive naturally. These guys then research methods for treating different types and levels of infertility in both female and male patients.
They will meet with patients to discuss the various treatment options available for cases where it’s determined that a natural reproductive procedure is not possible. The final step is all about carrying out clinical procedures, such as in vitro fertilisation (IVF) and assisted reproductive technology (ART).
The hands-on activities that you’ll be carrying out as part of this profession (please excuse the phrase ‘hands-on’ in this context!) include gathering the required amount of eggs and sperm samples from the female and male partners and/or donors, and fusing the sperm and eggs together to produce embryos, which are then grown in the lab under controlled conditions.
Finally, it’s all about implanting the viable embryos into the female patient’s womb. Once a successful transfer has been achieved, your role will involve monitoring and controlling the pregnancy cycle until a successful delivery is made.
Clinical embryologists are also required to preserve eggs, sperm and embryos for use at a later date. If you do choose to explore this profession, you will also be responsible for maintaining detailed records and keeping up-to-date on the latest developments and changes in law, medicine and treatments.
As you progress into a more senior position, you’ll most likely be training new trainees and managing more junior members of staff, such as technicians, nurses and assistants. Finally, you’ll be responsible for making sure that all of the clinical activities that are carried out in your laboratory comply with all the necessary ethical, statutory and regulatory requirements.
Salary & Benefits
Clinical embryologists are employed by the NHS or private healthcare organisations.
Trainee clinical embryologists tend to start on salaries ranging between £25,000 and £35,000 per annum. Registered clinical embryologist with more experience can earn salaries ranging from £30,000 to £40,000 a year and senior consultants can earn up to £100,000.
Working Hours & Other Details
If you enter this profession, you’ll most likely be working nine-to-five. However, this will understandably depend on your place of employment and your patients’ availability. Occasionally, you may be required to work on the weekends, during national holidays or whenever there’s a staff shortage.
Entry Route & Requirements
An undergraduate or postgraduate degree in biology, medicine, biomedical science, biotechnology or another related discipline is the minimum requirement for candidates hoping to join a pre-registration programme. Candidates with an MSc or PhD will be favoured over candidates with just a BSc.
The NHS Scientist Training Programme (STP) is the nationwide graduate entry programme for clinical embryologists looking to work in the NHS. The scheme runs over a period of three years and involves gaining hands-on clinical experience and working towards the completion of a postgraduate qualification in your desired area of specialisation.
Training & Progress
In order to become a registered clinical embryologist, you must complete certain requirements as mandated by the Health and Care Professions Council and also obtain the Postgraduate Certificate in Clinical Embryology which is administered by the Association of Clinical Embryologists (ACE). This process takes at least two years.
As you progress in your career and work towards becoming a senior consultant, you will need to obtain membership from the Royal College of Pathologists. Other career routes include moving into teaching or focusing your efforts on advanced research in clinical embryology.
What’s going on?
- Should I apply an international internship in NSC 17-10-2014 @ 12:27
- thats a good idea .. and what is it that you do ?? ...
- Should I apply an international internship in NSC 17-10-2014 @ 11:54
- its a good thing to do an internship right after your graduation.it will be beneficial for your career don't think about the industry just try to learn something first then go for the big names.p...
- Should I apply an international internship in NSC 17-10-2014 @ 08:38
- Same is over here that this is really very nice post. Keep up the awesome work. Thanks for sharing your great work and letting me to say about it. custom research papers...
- BUY REAL AND FAKE PASSPORT,VISA,ID,DL ETC.(firstname.lastname@example.org) 11-10-2014 @ 10:21
- Best Quality Novelty Fake IDs and Passports (email@example.com) Best Quality Novelty Fake IDs and Passports, Marriage certificates and Drivers license etc buy now high quality-We have the b...
- Many US law firms now have offices in the UK and offer training contracts and vacation schemes to talented students and graduates on this side of the pond. If you complete a training contract or...
- Choosing a Law Firm 09-04-2014 @ 12:36
- The legal market is big, tough and very competitive. There are many levels and varieties of law firms running in the market today and with detailed research and a clear idea of one’s own pr...
- Can I get a training contract with a 2:2? 09-04-2014 @ 12:30
- It’s the question we’re perennially asked on our AllAboutLaw Facebook fan page, is it possible to get a training contract with a 2:2? Before jumping in, if you're looking for...
- Training Contract Covering Letter 09-04-2014 @ 12:29
- Finding a training contract is hard enough without a bad covering letter letting you down. You might think your CV is the star of the show, but without a good supporting act, your application wil...
- Speech Outline: The Best Way To Utilize A Speech! 23-10-2014 @ 07:37
- When delivering a speech, time is a crucial factor. Your speech will be as good as you make it. Your audience will be thankful to you for a brief and precise speech while a long and pointless spe......
- health risks it brings is something we cannot 23-10-2014 @ 02:40
- shoes sizes should pay attention to the following principles: (1) footwear size feet long, but must pay attention to extended sitting, standing and walking about cheap jordan 14 for sale&nb......
- with some simple and effective massage of the feet 23-10-2014 @ 02:39
- induced by ultraviolet rays affect the skin. Crisis 3: damage foot tendons, foot wear flip flops to walk, the main principle is to pick up all by toe shoes in the nike lebron 9 for sale&nbs......
- on a pair of socks instead of shoes for your baby 23-10-2014 @ 02:38
- separated from health and beauty. High heels worn by both the United States and also should be healthy, comfortable to walk in high heels? Let the editor to move it! 1. the steps towards smaller,......
- Dairy Crest buys milk firm out of administration, ... 14-03-2013 @ 10:21
- Dairy Crest has bought specialist milk business Proper Welsh Milk out of administration, saving 40 jobs....
- Applications for £120m Govt funding pot open in s... 14-03-2013 @ 10:21
- The money is being made available through the Government’s Advanced Manufacturing Supply Chain Initiative to support research and development, skills training and capital investment in th...
- High Street fund 'barely touched'... 14-03-2013 @ 10:20
- A £10m government fund set up a year ago to help bring empty shops back into use has barely been touched, according to Freedom of Information requests seen by the BBC....