All About UsAllAboutCareers is a social careers information website for everyone who wants to find out more about graduate schemes, apprenticeships, internships and other job-related shenanigans.
- Job Description
- Salary & Benefits
- Working Hours & Other Details
- Entry Route & Requirements
- Training & Progress
Whether using the medium of TV, radio, or internet, the requirements of journalism apply across the spectrum. Every day, a journalist has to look for possible news or feature stories that might be of interest to the public.
Each journalist is assigned with a certain “beat” that they have to focus on with regards to generating news stories. Once they have learned of a new story, they have to research about it and set interviews with the key persons involved.
They have to collect evidence, follow the paper trail, gather accounts from different people, and be able to get all the sides of the story.
For television, it is also important that they have a video support for the story. It is also, therefore, the responsibility of the broadcast journalist, together with the camera crew, to shoot in locations that will enable viewers to visualize the story.
Upon getting all the information and video material required, the journalist then writes the script to be checked and approved by the editors.
The journalist also has to advise the video-editing crew on which material is to be used for the video. They must then do the voice-over once the script has been approved.
The process for radio journalism is pretty much the same, except for the fact that radio journalists do the reporting live on-air, since they don’t really need the video material that tends to prolong the TV process.
A broadcast journalist working online writes the news story to be approved and, once approved, has the story uploaded to the news website along with images to support the written story.
Salary & Benefits
The salary of a broadcast journalist depends on the rate of the network that they are working for, but starting salaries range from £13,000 to £22,000.
The rate also depends on how respected and known the broadcast journalist already is. Usually, the more credible the journalist, the higher the salary he or she receives.
Overtime work is common, the wage for which depends on the network or the company.
Working Hours & Other Details
The job of broadcast journalists is quite hectic, complicated, and covers a wide scope since it is their responsibility to report on the latest local and international news stories.
Since modern news media is round-the-clock, the working hours of a broadcast journalist are unpredictable and flexible, and journalists are usually on-call.
Entry Route & Requirements
Television and radio networks give priority to those candidates who have completed a degree in Mass Communication or Broadcast Journalism.
Networks also usually choose graduates from universities that are well-known for their good curriculum and which are renowned for their reputation in broadcasting.
Since there is tough competition between networks, candidates with previous experience from other networks are afforded prior consideration for vacancies.
Those who have good oral and written communication skills are favoured, especially in television, where an ability to speak in front of a camera on live TV is imperative.
Training & Progress
Aside from the short courses and longer training schemes that most major networks give their journalists, budding hacks can also undertake ethics and security training to guide them in their field reporting.
Meanwhile, from being a broadcast journalist, one can go up to being a news anchor and maybe to being an executive in the network.
What’s going on?
- How MBA Programmes creating future leader 18-04-2014 @ 14:08
- MBA programs help students to learn the strategies that expands business operations. Many MBA students asks writers "write my essay for me" to fulfill their academic task....
- ERASMUS STUDENTS 2013-14 improve your Spanish whilst you study! 18-04-2014 @ 08:40
- Nice work by the author of this! Amy ...
- How MBA Programmes creating future leader 03-04-2014 @ 06:46
- Really interested in learning more about marketing & promoting myself more effectively thank your time...
- How to Become a Mortgage Broker? 24-03-2014 @ 04:54
- Spontaneous marketing skills , ability to deal with different circumstances , self confidence are the basic qualities a mortgage broker( http://www.northwoodmortgage.com/careers ) should have. If...
- Many US law firms now have offices in the UK and offer training contracts and vacation schemes to talented students and graduates on this side of the pond. If you complete a training contract or...
- Choosing a Law Firm 09-04-2014 @ 12:36
- The legal market is big, tough and very competitive. There are many levels and varieties of law firms running in the market today and with detailed research and a clear idea of one’s own pr...
- Can I get a training contract with a 2:2? 09-04-2014 @ 12:30
- It’s the question we’re perennially asked on our AllAboutLaw Facebook fan page, is it possible to get a training contract with a 2:2? Before jumping in, if you're looking for...
- Training Contract Covering Letter 09-04-2014 @ 12:29
- Finding a training contract is hard enough without a bad covering letter letting you down. You might think your CV is the star of the show, but without a good supporting act, your application wil...
- It is not the most expensive hotel 24-04-2014 @ 07:26
- What to do in Athens! The Acropolis of Athens including the Parthenon, the Erectheion, and the Temple of Athena Nike is certainly the cities landmark and it is definitely worth visiting. These a......
- you may need to get used to a different time sche 24-04-2014 @ 07:18
- Always ask your GP about any vaccinations you will need before you go. It's also a good idea to have a quick medical examination and visit to the dentist before you go, just to avoid any unne......
- Strategies That Works To Write a Perfect Coursework 23-04-2014 @ 15:06
- Mostly student's experience coursework writing in their academic activities. When they are required to prove their expertise in a particular topic by preparing a coursework on it. Because the......
- Can Online Education be a Good tool? 23-04-2014 @ 08:51
- Online education is a new gate way to the education that waits for the new generations to come and for the current generations. Online education has made many professors emotional when they are t......
- Dairy Crest buys milk firm out of administration, ... 14-03-2013 @ 10:21
- Dairy Crest has bought specialist milk business Proper Welsh Milk out of administration, saving 40 jobs....
- Applications for £120m Govt funding pot open in s... 14-03-2013 @ 10:21
- The money is being made available through the Government’s Advanced Manufacturing Supply Chain Initiative to support research and development, skills training and capital investment in th...
- High Street fund 'barely touched'... 14-03-2013 @ 10:20
- A £10m government fund set up a year ago to help bring empty shops back into use has barely been touched, according to Freedom of Information requests seen by the BBC....