All About UsAllAboutCareers is a social careers information website for everyone who wants to find out more about graduate schemes, apprenticeships, internships and other job-related shenanigans.
- Job Description
- Salary & Benefits
- Working Hours & Other Details
- Entry Route & Requirements
- Training & Progress
Whether using the medium of TV, radio, or internet, the requirements of journalism apply across the spectrum. Every day, a journalist has to look for possible news or feature stories that might be of interest to the public.
Each journalist is assigned with a certain “beat” that they have to focus on with regards to generating news stories. Once they have learned of a new story, they have to research about it and set interviews with the key persons involved.
They have to collect evidence, follow the paper trail, gather accounts from different people, and be able to get all the sides of the story.
For television, it is also important that they have a video support for the story. It is also, therefore, the responsibility of the broadcast journalist, together with the camera crew, to shoot in locations that will enable viewers to visualize the story.
Upon getting all the information and video material required, the journalist then writes the script to be checked and approved by the editors.
The journalist also has to advise the video-editing crew on which material is to be used for the video. They must then do the voice-over once the script has been approved.
The process for radio journalism is pretty much the same, except for the fact that radio journalists do the reporting live on-air, since they don’t really need the video material that tends to prolong the TV process.
A broadcast journalist working online writes the news story to be approved and, once approved, has the story uploaded to the news website along with images to support the written story.
Salary & Benefits
The salary of a broadcast journalist depends on the rate of the network that they are working for, but starting salaries range from £13,000 to £22,000.
The rate also depends on how respected and known the broadcast journalist already is. Usually, the more credible the journalist, the higher the salary he or she receives.
Overtime work is common, the wage for which depends on the network or the company.
Working Hours & Other Details
The job of broadcast journalists is quite hectic, complicated, and covers a wide scope since it is their responsibility to report on the latest local and international news stories.
Since modern news media is round-the-clock, the working hours of a broadcast journalist are unpredictable and flexible, and journalists are usually on-call.
Entry Route & Requirements
Television and radio networks give priority to those candidates who have completed a degree in Mass Communication or Broadcast Journalism.
Networks also usually choose graduates from universities that are well-known for their good curriculum and which are renowned for their reputation in broadcasting.
Since there is tough competition between networks, candidates with previous experience from other networks are afforded prior consideration for vacancies.
Those who have good oral and written communication skills are favoured, especially in television, where an ability to speak in front of a camera on live TV is imperative.
Training & Progress
Aside from the short courses and longer training schemes that most major networks give their journalists, budding hacks can also undertake ethics and security training to guide them in their field reporting.
Meanwhile, from being a broadcast journalist, one can go up to being a news anchor and maybe to being an executive in the network.
What’s going on?
- Sports Graduates - we need your help! 11-03-2014 @ 14:29
- The University of Gloucestershire is running an European Commission-funded project to investigate sports graduate perceptions of employability. Your opinions will help us develop tool kits that p...
- Where can I get work experience? 05-03-2014 @ 19:37
- The SEO article composing administrations will likewise be overall educated about the time it takes for a task to be finished. They will accordingly furnish you with a genuine evaluation of the t...
- Should I apply an international internship in NSC 28-02-2014 @ 23:49
- Very good information .... Thanks guy... _____________________________ ProPapersWriting...
- Legal Director 19-02-2014 @ 12:56
- ROLE PURPOSE To act as one of a team of Legal Directors, working in close collaboration with both the Office of the General Counsel and relevant directorate and project teams, to lead the delive...
- Traditionally, front office staff are the folks in contact with the consumers or clients, whilst the back office staff are the people behind-the-scenes working in administrative or support roles....
- A Day in the Life of a Chartered Architectural Technologist 25-02-2013 @ 15:44
- My typical working week… As a Chartered Architectural Technologist (MCIAT), I will always have a varied day. I work a standard working week. My hours are 9am til 5.30pm, but I tend to...
- National Audit Office’s School Leaver Scheme: My Experience 14-02-2013 @ 17:26
- Accountancy school leavers’ programme or university? It was in my final year of college that I decided that I wanted to pursue a career in accountancy. I looked in to the options avai...
- Accountancy: Payroll Career Paths 14-02-2013 @ 11:22
- Accountancy is an incredibly varied profession with a large number of different roles available within the industry. Payroll is increasingly important for businesses; the majority of companies ...
- E-keeping money (Online Banking) and Its part in Today's Society 10-03-2014 @ 19:32
- The world is changing at a stunning rate and engineering is acknowledged to be the key driver for these progressions aroundus (Papers4you.com, 2006). An investigation of innovation and its uses d......
- What Is Thesis Theme 10-03-2014 @ 18:14
- in the event that you have an online journal website and you need to upgrade it or provide for it a cosmetic touch upregarding colors and fonts, then you will probably utilize the least difficult......
- The most effective method to Make Your Dissertation an Enjoyable Read 08-03-2014 @ 20:48
- Composing scholastic assignments isn't the most energizing point you will ever go over! In any case, your thesis does not have to be a "dry" read. Firstly, it is significant that y......
- Paper Writing Tips - 6 Steps to Writing a Great Essay 08-03-2014 @ 19:10
- Assuming that written work an exposition would appear to be an overwhelming background, then figuring out how to separate the methodology into various simple steps will provide for you the certai......
- Dairy Crest buys milk firm out of administration, ... 14-03-2013 @ 10:21
- Dairy Crest has bought specialist milk business Proper Welsh Milk out of administration, saving 40 jobs....
- Applications for £120m Govt funding pot open in s... 14-03-2013 @ 10:21
- The money is being made available through the Government’s Advanced Manufacturing Supply Chain Initiative to support research and development, skills training and capital investment in th...
- High Street fund 'barely touched'... 14-03-2013 @ 10:20
- A £10m government fund set up a year ago to help bring empty shops back into use has barely been touched, according to Freedom of Information requests seen by the BBC....