All About UsAllAboutCareers is a social careers information website for everyone who wants to find out more about graduate schemes, apprenticeships, internships and other job-related shenanigans.
- Job Description
- Salary & Benefits
- Working Hours & Other Details
- Entry Route & Requirements
- Training & Progress
Whether using the medium of TV, radio, or internet, the requirements of journalism apply across the spectrum. Every day, a journalist has to look for possible news or feature stories that might be of interest to the public.
Each journalist is assigned with a certain “beat” that they have to focus on with regards to generating news stories. Once they have learned of a new story, they have to research about it and set interviews with the key persons involved.
They have to collect evidence, follow the paper trail, gather accounts from different people, and be able to get all the sides of the story.
For television, it is also important that they have a video support for the story. It is also, therefore, the responsibility of the broadcast journalist, together with the camera crew, to shoot in locations that will enable viewers to visualize the story.
Upon getting all the information and video material required, the journalist then writes the script to be checked and approved by the editors.
The journalist also has to advise the video-editing crew on which material is to be used for the video. They must then do the voice-over once the script has been approved.
The process for radio journalism is pretty much the same, except for the fact that radio journalists do the reporting live on-air, since they don’t really need the video material that tends to prolong the TV process.
A broadcast journalist working online writes the news story to be approved and, once approved, has the story uploaded to the news website along with images to support the written story.
Salary & Benefits
The salary of a broadcast journalist depends on the rate of the network that they are working for, but starting salaries range from £13,000 to £22,000.
The rate also depends on how respected and known the broadcast journalist already is. Usually, the more credible the journalist, the higher the salary he or she receives.
Overtime work is common, the wage for which depends on the network or the company.
Working Hours & Other Details
The job of broadcast journalists is quite hectic, complicated, and covers a wide scope since it is their responsibility to report on the latest local and international news stories.
Since modern news media is round-the-clock, the working hours of a broadcast journalist are unpredictable and flexible, and journalists are usually on-call.
Entry Route & Requirements
Television and radio networks give priority to those candidates who have completed a degree in Mass Communication or Broadcast Journalism.
Networks also usually choose graduates from universities that are well-known for their good curriculum and which are renowned for their reputation in broadcasting.
Since there is tough competition between networks, candidates with previous experience from other networks are afforded prior consideration for vacancies.
Those who have good oral and written communication skills are favoured, especially in television, where an ability to speak in front of a camera on live TV is imperative.
Training & Progress
Aside from the short courses and longer training schemes that most major networks give their journalists, budding hacks can also undertake ethics and security training to guide them in their field reporting.
Meanwhile, from being a broadcast journalist, one can go up to being a news anchor and maybe to being an executive in the network.
What’s going on?
- Should I go to university? 14-07-2014 @ 14:15
- hello, I was just wondering ''is it fun at university or nah'' because I really want to go but if its not fun then I wont go because it costs a lot of money and I could spend that money on someth...
- MBA in Hospital and Health Care Management 09-07-2014 @ 07:54
- If you have keen interest in management and medical both than doing MBA in hospital and health care management could be good option for your. Kohinoor Business school offers a management degree i...
- Is human resources a woman's world? 09-07-2014 @ 07:50
- Doing MBA in HR management is the first choice of every female students the reason behind this is the natural quality of women to manage the people. Another is safe and good career growth options...
- Solar Module Mounting 09-07-2014 @ 07:39
- Solar module mounting is technique to get electricity power from solar light by installing solar panels in a proper way. There is huge market of manufacturing and selling solar products. Satec en...
- Many US law firms now have offices in the UK and offer training contracts and vacation schemes to talented students and graduates on this side of the pond. If you complete a training contract or...
- Choosing a Law Firm 09-04-2014 @ 12:36
- The legal market is big, tough and very competitive. There are many levels and varieties of law firms running in the market today and with detailed research and a clear idea of one’s own pr...
- Can I get a training contract with a 2:2? 09-04-2014 @ 12:30
- It’s the question we’re perennially asked on our AllAboutLaw Facebook fan page, is it possible to get a training contract with a 2:2? Before jumping in, if you're looking for...
- Training Contract Covering Letter 09-04-2014 @ 12:29
- Finding a training contract is hard enough without a bad covering letter letting you down. You might think your CV is the star of the show, but without a good supporting act, your application wil...
- Very happy to asics gel noosa tri 8 uk join Basel 25-07-2014 @ 08:23
- Very happy to asics gel noosa tri 8 uk join Basel, looking at Switzerland League for a new challenge. "Samuel in 2000 after landing in Europe, has played for Roma, Real Madrid and Inter......
- Basel is asics tarther 30th uk Switzerland 25-07-2014 @ 08:22
- Basel is asics tarther 30th uk Switzerland one of the most successful team in the League last season with 19 WINS, 15 draws and 2 defeats grades, with 72 points to get Switzerland Super Leag......
- Although Samuel asics gel lyte v uk for inter 25-07-2014 @ 08:22
- Although Samuel asics gel lyte v uk for inter effectiveness of 9 a season total appearances 236 times, quarter are only 26 times, but he is in inter completed serie a, and Italy Cup and Cham......
- The past two asics gel hyper 33 2 cheap seasons 25-07-2014 @ 08:21
- The past two asics gel hyper 33 2 cheap seasons, although only 30 League appearances for inter, but as centre-back Player of the scoring outburst, he also is a contribution to the Nerazzurri......
- Dairy Crest buys milk firm out of administration, ... 14-03-2013 @ 10:21
- Dairy Crest has bought specialist milk business Proper Welsh Milk out of administration, saving 40 jobs....
- Applications for £120m Govt funding pot open in s... 14-03-2013 @ 10:21
- The money is being made available through the Government’s Advanced Manufacturing Supply Chain Initiative to support research and development, skills training and capital investment in th...
- High Street fund 'barely touched'... 14-03-2013 @ 10:20
- A £10m government fund set up a year ago to help bring empty shops back into use has barely been touched, according to Freedom of Information requests seen by the BBC....