All About UsAllAboutCareers is a social careers information website for everyone who wants to find out more about graduate schemes, apprenticeships, internships and other job-related shenanigans.
- Job Description
- Salary & Benefits
- Working Hours & Other Details
- Entry Route & Requirements
- Training & Progress
When we talk about bank managers, we’re not talking about the high-powered, million-pound-bonus-earning head honchos who run investment banks. In fact, we’re here to talk about the plucky chaps and chapettes who manage the banks you and I can stroll into on a daily basis (except on Sundays…grrr!).
Bank managers work in two main areas of the banking industry: retail banking and commercial banking.
Retail bank managers service the general public. The transactions they are involved in are facilitated in branches across the country. However, many retailing banking operations are now carried out over the phone and via the internet too.
Commercial bank managers, on the other hand, deal with small companies and medium-sized enterprises, and provide them with banking services which help them to manage and grow their businesses.
Across the board, bank managers provide services to facilitate a variety of financial transactions and help clients to take advantage of a range of financial products, such as loans, bank accounts (e.g. savings, current, overdraft, fixed/recurring deposits and trading accounts) and cash, cheque, electronic and card transactions (e.g. deposits, withdrawals and purchases).
These guys also advise customers on utilising idle liquid cash in their accounts to earn higher interest rates or make investments in products such as insurance, shares, bonds and mutual funds.
Bank managers act as the face of the organisation in their local community. They manage junior staff, serve customers in branch, over the phone and via the internet, set sales targets for lower level employees, manage the recruitment process and complete management reports and other paperwork as required.
You can find current vacancies on our Jobs page in the Banking, Finance and Accountancy sector.
Salary & Benefits
The average starting salaries for branch-based employees range between £14,000 and £21,000.
However, trainee bank managers recruited through graduate schemes are more likely to earn between £22,000 and £30,000.
As you progress through mid-level to senior management positions, you can earn anywhere between £30,000 and £150,000, depending upon the size of the bank and its network.
Working Hours & Other Details
You’ll be required to work the standard nine-to-five office hours, partly in a customer-facing role, partly in an administrative capacity.
However, you may sometimes be required to work on Saturdays. Understandably, you won’t be expected to work on ‘bank holidays’.
Entry Route & Requirements
Many candidates access this profession via a graduate scheme. This entry-route is open to candidates with degrees from all disciplines, not just people that have studied business or financial subjects.
These schemes, however, are rather competitive, so you will need a consistently strong academic background. Indeed, most successful candidates have at a least a 2.1.
School leavers and candidates with vocational qualifications from further education colleges can also develop a career in retail banking.
However, without a degree, it’s more likely that you’ll start in an entry-level customer service role and work your way up the career ladder.
Training & Progress
As part of a graduate scheme, you’ll receive formal training in the various banking systems, products, services and functions.
You’ll also receive practical training through structured rotations across various departments such as sales and marketing, customer service, operations, credit policy and risk management.
Opportunities for career progression are strictly based on merit and driven by performance, achievement of set targets, flexibility and your willingness to move.
Transfers to overseas offices and other branches are also common.
What’s going on?
- Should I apply an international internship in NSC 17-10-2014 @ 12:27
- thats a good idea .. and what is it that you do ?? ...
- Should I apply an international internship in NSC 17-10-2014 @ 11:54
- its a good thing to do an internship right after your graduation.it will be beneficial for your career don't think about the industry just try to learn something first then go for the big names.p...
- Should I apply an international internship in NSC 17-10-2014 @ 08:38
- Same is over here that this is really very nice post. Keep up the awesome work. Thanks for sharing your great work and letting me to say about it. custom research papers...
- BUY REAL AND FAKE PASSPORT,VISA,ID,DL ETC.(email@example.com) 11-10-2014 @ 10:21
- Best Quality Novelty Fake IDs and Passports (firstname.lastname@example.org) Best Quality Novelty Fake IDs and Passports, Marriage certificates and Drivers license etc buy now high quality-We have the b...
- Many US law firms now have offices in the UK and offer training contracts and vacation schemes to talented students and graduates on this side of the pond. If you complete a training contract or...
- Choosing a Law Firm 09-04-2014 @ 12:36
- The legal market is big, tough and very competitive. There are many levels and varieties of law firms running in the market today and with detailed research and a clear idea of one’s own pr...
- Can I get a training contract with a 2:2? 09-04-2014 @ 12:30
- It’s the question we’re perennially asked on our AllAboutLaw Facebook fan page, is it possible to get a training contract with a 2:2? Before jumping in, if you're looking for...
- Training Contract Covering Letter 09-04-2014 @ 12:29
- Finding a training contract is hard enough without a bad covering letter letting you down. You might think your CV is the star of the show, but without a good supporting act, your application wil...
- I Truly Enjoy War Games Free 21-10-2014 @ 17:06
- First Tips On The Topic Of Fifa 14 Coins Cheap 21-10-2014 @ 14:39
- Fifa 14 for Fifa followers can bring by helping cover their huge possibilities by just relocating from present generation to be able to next new generation model updates. New updates are launche......
- 5 Things Every Fresher Must Do 21-10-2014 @ 10:48
- Because being a student is about so much more than bar crawls and getting lost around campus... Join a society Most people join a society to make friends with similar interests, but you'll ......
- His position in the team 21-10-2014 @ 06:52
- End nike air max 2012 uk of the first quarter, scored 41 points in Qingdao, they also 41-30 Fujian's 11-point lead. Fujian player Sun Weibo because of dissatisfaction with the refe......
- Dairy Crest buys milk firm out of administration, ... 14-03-2013 @ 10:21
- Dairy Crest has bought specialist milk business Proper Welsh Milk out of administration, saving 40 jobs....
- Applications for £120m Govt funding pot open in s... 14-03-2013 @ 10:21
- The money is being made available through the Government’s Advanced Manufacturing Supply Chain Initiative to support research and development, skills training and capital investment in th...
- High Street fund 'barely touched'... 14-03-2013 @ 10:20
- A £10m government fund set up a year ago to help bring empty shops back into use has barely been touched, according to Freedom of Information requests seen by the BBC....