All About UsAllAboutCareers is a social careers information website for everyone who wants to find out more about graduate schemes, apprenticeships, internships and other job-related shenanigans.
16-18: Quick Facts Box
Interested in the Construction, Architecture & Maintenance sector? Want to know the basic facts? Check out our Quick Facts Box. We’ll tell you all the basic information that you need to know; and more importantly, we’ll tell you everything really quickly! No messing around. No hassle.
So what are you waiting for? It’s time to face the facts.
- £12,000 - £27,000 per annum.
- £32,000 - £85,000+ per annum.
What qualifications do I need?
- No minimum.
- RIBA-approved degree required for Architecture.
- Engineering degree preferred for Civil Engineering.
- Surveyors need an accredited degree in building surveying (a conversion course can also be taken by people who do their undergraduate degrees in different subjects).
What kind of skills do I need?
- Numeracy and mathematical skills.
- Analytical skills.
- Practical skills.
- Organisational skills.
- Communication and teamwork.
- Attention to detail.
- Across the UK.
- Urban areas offer the most opportunities.
- London has the biggest construction projects.
Opportunities for travel?
- Yes, especially in the Middle East (e.g. Dubai and Oman) and China.
Average working hours?
- 9am - 5pm, plus possible extra evening/weekend working hours.
- Some facilities management and maintenance roles may require you to work night shifts occasionally.
- Reward and satisfaction in producing tangible solutions.
- Opportunity for creativity and problem-solving.
- Opportunity to run your own business.
- Working in all weathers.
- Some roles can be dangerous.
- Some roles can be relatively low paid at entry-level.